PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for a large 5 month old

HIU8
11-14-2007, 11:40 PM
My DD is 5 months and 18 lbs. I currently use a Baby Bjorn. I have an infantino sling which she only likes when trying to go to sleep. I use a carrier mostly for trips without my DS and when I take DS to gym class. I prefer something where weight can be distributed on both of my shoulders (I have shoulder issues from years of carrying a heavy backpack on one side). DD loves to be worn. She prefers it and is very happy as long as she can face out. The Bjorn only goes to 25 lbs. Is there another option out there as she gets bigger? I don't know much about carriers other than the Bjorn and Infantino.

Thank you,
Heather
DS 11/27/04
DD 6/9/07

hillview
11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I really like my Ergo. My DS is 18 lbs and I prefer to carry him in the Ergo rather then in the Bjorn.
Good luck!
/hillary

sassafrassdc
11-24-2007, 12:46 PM
My DS#2 is 6 months. Right now the carrier that I use most with him is our Kozy mei tai (www.kozybabycarrier.com or various other sites). We have an ergo too, but I reach for the Kozy because it has a longer body. He can sleep in the Kozy on my back and I don't have to fiddle with a hood. Another SSC (soft-structured carrier) with a longer body is the Beco (www.ecobabies.com has a list of websites that sell it). Also Patapum, Angelpack LX etc. I like poking around at www.attachedtobaby.com for shopping ideas.

By now I'm pretty much done with front carries as they seem to tweak my lower back whether I've got him in an Ergo, a Kozy, or a wrap. Back carries take a bit of practice (which I did over the sofa multiple times with someone there to check my work), but they're wonderful! once you get them down.

Good luck.

mamababa
11-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Yep, the Bjorn starting killing at about 15 lbs, for me. An ERGO is a great subsitute and you can wear your baby for much longer. It works as a front, back and hip carrier (although that would be one-shouldered, and I'm not crazy about ERGO for this carry).

Kozy is great, too, because you can do a high back carry with it, which is nice for back carries with little ones who want to see over your shoulder. I wind up using my ERGO more, though, because I'm lazy and don't want to tie.

You can check both these carriers out at www.carrymeaway.com - look under structured carriers and mei tais.

Hope this helps!

JacksMommy
11-26-2007, 05:29 PM
You've gotten some great advice. If you're willing to try learning wrapping, wraps are wonderful in that you can do any carry with them and they are super comfortable.

Also, the Pikkolo is good for front, back and side carry. It is also one of the few carriers that allows also has the option to face out like the Bjorn.

HTH

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Owner, Carry Me Away