PDA

View Full Version : safe shopping cart cover

himom
08-28-2003, 08:15 AM
Hello,

I'd like to get a shopping cart cover that also works for price club wagons & high chairs. I know some people think they're silly but my reasoning is DS gnaws on everything his little lips can reach and I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I also know that the first thing to go into DS's mouth will likely be the straps, followed by the bar. And I've seen too many shopping carts with raw meat dripping blood placed up in the child seat (OT -- WHY don't people use the plastic bags?!?). Not to mention the number of people in stores who simply do not ever wash their hands after they've used the restroom. Yuck.

Anyway, my question is for those of you who have and use these covers. Do you strap the cover to the cart, then strap the baby to the cover? Or is the baby only attached to the cover, which could come loose? I'm a little concerned about the safety factor since Josh is very inventive and shows enormous "escape" potential.

I'm particularly interested in opinions on the safety of the Covers4kids, since that is the direction I'm currently leaning in. TIA!

Jodi
Joshua Keoni's Mommy as of February 2003

boys2enough
08-28-2003, 10:24 AM
HI, I haven't seen "Cover4kids" so can't speak about them specifically. But I read all the old posts re: the shopping cart covers and decided to get one from eBay despite all the naysayers. My 9 mo DS is just like yours: he sucks on everything in sight. Even if I strap him tightly in the cart, he could still do that yoga thing and bend all the way until he reaches the cart to chew on it. I was hesitant at first, really don't want to shell out $30 for something that I may not use often. But one day the straps on the shopping cart were broken and simply gross, and DS managed to chew on it when I turned on head for a second! That's it! I went ahead and ordered a cover (with etlastic all around) from a lady on eBay (her ID is Jadepenni). She was very accomodating during the process of chossing a fabric. (I wanted it custom-made at first: don't liek cutsy patterns and don't think I need the padding. Would prefer of it's actually smaller so easier to bring. Make sense to you?) She even offered to make one with fabric that I sent her.

But then she has a blue toile fabric on eBay, it is subdued in tone so I snatched it up with BIN. I have been really happy with it. It is gorgeous (if you can use this word on a shopping cart cover LOL)It is well-made, I am no expert in sewing but the stitches all look very neat and sturdy. I was able to use it at Sam's Club the other day. And used it on IKEA shopping cart and the highchair there.

To answer your question: I simply strap DS in the straps that come with the cover. He is not mobile yet... I am thinking I will have to use the shopping cart strap on the cover to secure the cover itself when he tries to climb out.

I was afraid that it's going to be a hassle to unbuckle DS to move him from the shopping cart tto the highchair when we were at IKEA. Well, what I did was I simply lift him out TOGETHER with the cover (I kind of bunched up the cover around him with his legs still in the leg holes) and then put him in the highchair that way (legs in the leg openings first and then pull the cover over the chair). I was so happy with it that day. He kepy on dropping food but they all fell on the cover (instead of the dirty chair), and I was able to pick it up and offer it to him again without feeling "Yuck!"

there is another eBay seller that I talked to. She offers free shipping for her covers. She was also very nice. I didn't go with her simply becasue I contacted Penni first and felt that I should buy from Penni. Her eBay is is Rickerscrafts. (I don't know how her covers actually are though).

BTW, It took sometime but I was really able to pull the cover over the shopping cart with on hand while holding baby. Didn't think I could because the elastics look really "tight." but that's good. Don't want it to come up when DS tucks at it.

Sorry this ran long. let me know if anyone wants to see pics. HTH.

Momof3Labs
08-28-2003, 11:35 AM
I have one from www.covers4kids.com and like it a lot! I can put it on one-handed (it has fit every cart/high chair we've tried it on). Once I have it on, I put Colin in the seat and then put the strap through the back of the shopping cart seat (so he is attached to the cart, too) and then fasten it around his waist. The strap that she includes requires you to feed the webbing through the clasp every time, so I spent $4 at BRU on one that clicks in and doesn't need tightening each time. The cover is lightly padded, but still very portable, and comes in its own bag. She offers a lot of fabrics, too!

I would buy one again from Tabi!

alleyoop
08-28-2003, 02:57 PM
I just got my cover from www.Snazzybaby.com and really like it (very similiar to Covers4Kids). I believe that our trips to the store and Target have been a lot more peaceful for me and comfier for DS since we got the cover. There is a place to attach toys, a double pocket that fits his sippy cup and snacks and a pocket in back for my wallet, keys and sunglasses.

It does take a minute or two to put the cover on, but I have done it with one hand while holding baby. The strap goes around the baby and attaches to the cart, so it is just as safe as the cart straps. Sure, the cover is somewhat bulky to deal with, but for the comfort of DS and a peaceful shopping trip, I think it is worth it.

I would reccomend that you have the extra pockets put in the cover. For the price, I love having more places to stash baby stuff.

Could I do without it? Of course! But I really like peace of mind and comfort the cover provides.

Marisa6826
08-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Hi Jodi-

I have the Buggy Bagg (www.buggybagg.com) and absolutely LOVE it. I thought about getting the C4K one, but since Sophie isn't quite sitting up by herself yet, the pillow that comes with the BB is what sold me.

Granted, it costs a little more, I've never seen anything so well made. I have a friend who now has three kids (4, 2 and 12w old) and she was floored by it. That has to say something!

I got the plain black and white gingham one and it's beautiful.

And yes, it does fit everything from the highchairs, the little carts at Whole Foods and the giant ones at Costco.

As far as "procedure" goes, I've been a little lax and have only been belting Sophie to the cover - and not the cover to the cart. If she's being particularly wiggly, I will do it, but I find it to be a bit of a hassle for now. I'm sure that as she gets bigger and braver (reaching out for things other than my handbag), I will have to belt the cover to the cart.

Good luck!

-m

Rachels
08-30-2003, 02:05 PM
I second the BuggyBagg! I LOVE mine. I use it all the time. It does hook onto the cart and then the baby hooks into the bag, which I like a lot better than some of the others. It also keeps her secure in those awful wooden restaurant high chairs. She can't climb out or slide down or any of the number of other hazards those things invite. It's well worth the money, IMO.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Torey
08-30-2003, 05:48 PM
I haven't bought from here, but the ones at LittleLily.com look nice and seem to be reasonable. I'm seriously considering getting one of these.

ralu
08-30-2003, 10:41 PM
I have one from Covers4kids and, while I think it is ok, I wouldn't buy it again. My biggest complaint is the light padding; we typically have to put a small blanket against my son's back. The strap is not very secure: an older baby could easily unstrap himself. It goes around the back of the child seat (if you want to attach it to the cart) then around the baby.

Raluca & Matei (Feb 2003)

sarsah
08-31-2003, 10:18 PM
I have a "clean shopper" www.cleanshopper.com and it seems nice. I have not used it yet, since my baby still fits in his infant car seat, but I can't wait to use it.

It doesn't have any 'whistles & bells' (no pockets or toy attachments, etc.), but that's one thing that I liked about it. I just wanted a seat cover, nothing else. Also, it was cheaper than most of the others I've seen -- $30.

Sarah.......Jason & Devin's Mommie

luvbeinmama
09-01-2003, 12:10 AM
Okay, I have a question for everyone who is using the various cart covers...

Our local Ralphs grocery stores have those plastic ad holders attached to the back of the seat area. Do the straps provided to attach the cover to the cart go around such ad holders? Or have you not run into that problem?

teachermommy
09-01-2003, 03:24 AM
I have a cover from covers4kids and really like it. I get lots of compliments on it every time we go out. Grandparents are especially interested in it. They want to know where they can buy one to save their grandbaby from the germy carts.

As far as strapping your baby in, I just feed the strap around my son and then through both leg holes and buckle it in front. This attaches him to the actual cart. So far it has worked great.

mama2be
09-01-2003, 09:01 PM
There is site called Bur####sbaby.com (if I remember correctly) that compares a lot of the covers...they answer if they fit over Costco type carts etc...and compare price, pockets, straps, padding etc...

I don't know if snazzy is on there...but I know many are rated there, last I checked several months ago...

EDITED BECAUSE THE ABOVE WON'T LET ME TYPE OUT THE WORD...STEVE THINKS IT'S BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE A PROFANITY FILTER...THO THAT CLEARY ISN'T A PROFANITY!!!
WWW. B U R D I C K S B A B Y .COM
HOPE THAT WORKS...MIGHT BE WITHOUT THE "S"...

boys2enough
09-01-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi, just want to say I love my shopping cart cover (and I would love it just the same no matter where I got it). I am so glad I went against the tide and got it. I have been using it mostly in restaurants with highchairs. Now I don't have to worry at all about ds touching stuff and then putting his hands in his mouth. I also don't have to worry about dropping food and giving him the same food. It makes our restaurant experience so much nicer.

dh thinks almost every fancy baby thing that I bought for DS#2 is a waste of $$, incluing the Hip Hammock and the Combi Urban Sling, and new strollers (even though I love them!), but he said today at McDonalds, "This thing is really cool! We should get it for my brother's new baby!" I was in shock and speechless.

Finally, a great investment that both of us agree on. :0)

August Mom
09-04-2003, 08:38 AM
I just wanted to mention that the Clean Shopper is not designed to fit warehouse carts, if that's important to you. It does fit standard carts and high chairs.

I have a Baby a la Cart. I like the concept and this cover is fine. I wasn't blown away by the quality of the construction. It is adequate, but the stitching is uneven in places and the lining on mine (Blue Jean Animals) is fading in places. The strap is very secure and I fasten it around the cart and then around DS. It fits all carts, including warehouse carts. It has 1 velcro pocket, 1 open pocket and 2 toy loops. I wish that it had toy loops on the side or lower in the front because the loops are too far forward to use when the cover is in a restaurant high chair. We generally use our portable booster when we go out anyway, though. It rolls into itself once you get the hang of it, but it's not compact. If you have any other questions about it, please let me know.

AdoptChina
09-04-2003, 11:15 AM
I recently saw someone at BJs with a cleanshopper in hre cart and it seemed to fit fine....maybe they changed them?

cara1
09-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Another vote here for Baby ala Cart. Never got it to fit well in high chairs, though.

kristie
09-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to answer your question on the SnazzySeat fits around the plastic signs that are on the shopping carts. I also shop at Ralphs, ( in Thousand Oaks) and the carts have the same thing. They do fit around that and also you should buckle your baby through the SnazzySeat and through the shopping cart. Check out the directions page:

http://snazzybaby.com/Snaz/snazzyseatdirections.html

You can email me direct if you have any further questions!

Thanks,
Founder of SnazzyBaby

mama2be
09-05-2003, 07:15 AM
My snazzy baby is getting it's first run this week-end. We got it this week and it sure is pretty!!! I love the chenille and I used my own fabric with it. During the sale I also got the travel size blanket for free with it which we used yesterday under Tristan while he got his shots and the nurses loved it!!! I had a pillow ordered for it too...

We'll try the "magic carpet" (that's what we call it) this week-end, I can't steer towards any product since I have yet to see any others but did want to say how lovely I think mine is...I had seen my firends when I ordered it for her shower and was amazed at how pretty, soft and thick it was...

Kristie's follow-up was second to none...due to using my fabric I think I actually caused her a lot more heart ache since it was narrow and not wide fabric and I thank them for doing it for me.

luvbeinmama
09-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks, Kristie! I'm glad you accommodate for that in your covers. I have a padded belt that I've used for DS, but it won't go around those ads. I am considering the cover, but haven't made a decision yet.

I don't remember seeing any ads around town for your covers. Where do you advertise locally? You should advertise with the local MOMS Clubs... they all have monthly newsletters. I think I saw one of your car seat covers on a friends' infant seat. It looked great!