PDA

View Full Version : backpack bag question

s_gosney
08-28-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone. We are expecting our first in mid-October, and I thought I would post one of my millions of questions here. I am a full time college student who will be returning to classes as soon as possible after baby makes her debut and will be carrying her to class with me for the remainder of this semester. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a large multi-pocket backpack to serve as both my backpack and diaper bag. My thinking was that I could use the largest pouch for my notebooks, etc. and then the smaller pouches for all of the baby stuff. Is this reasonable? I will be nursing her, so won't need bottles, though can't you buy separate bottle insulators were this to become an issue later? Also, you can buy wet bags separately too, correct? Anything else I haven't thought of? Maybe I'm just missing something as I'm a novice in this area, but it seems to me that this would work. Any tips or thoughts you might have are appreciated! TIA!

Sherri

stillplayswithbarbies
08-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Yes, you can do that, but it might be better to just buy a regular backpack for your stuff, and just put baby stuff in one of the compartments. You can buy a changing pad that folds up with a pack of wipes inside it. Look at WalMart in the baby section near the bathing stuff.

I think you would have better luck finding a comfortable backpack that way.

You can look at the One Step Ahead diaper backpack, and the Baby Sherpa. These are both huge and might work for you. But honestly it would be cheaper to get a regular backpack and add the baby stuff to it. For bottles you can get a lunch size cooler, or you can buy a cooler made just for bottles. A ziploc bag works for a wet bag. Wipes can be bought in travel containers that you can refill.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

s_gosney
08-28-2003, 09:20 PM
Oops...I'm sorry I didn't clearly explain myself. My plan was to do exactly as you described. My reasoning was the same--seemed like it would work just as well and would be cheaper and probably better made. I just thought maybe there was something special about the diaper bag backpacks that I was missing, but from your reply I guess that's not the case. Thanks!

MinnieMouse
08-29-2003, 08:53 AM
The Land's End Backpack would work GREAT! It has the three main compartments that all backpacks have...small up front, central one, then the huge back one. BUT in addition it has a slot all the way in back for a VERY roomy changing pad and a pocket on the bottom of the pack. We have a 2yo dd and the backpack is our all day out bag. You could use the very front pocket and large back one for your school stuff and then use the bottom one for diapers and travel wipes container (that's what we do) and the central pocket for misc other baby stuff. There is MORE than enough room for it all.

I think the LE pack would be better than a standard run of the mill pack because of the bottom pocket as well as the changing pad. Plus LE has EXCELLENT customer service. (We have two other LE diaper bags as well...they are all great for different needs.)

HTH

Christine

KMommie
08-29-2003, 05:25 PM
I second the LE! I LOVE their changing pad! It's so much better than the ones I've been able to find at BRU, Target, etc. What makes it great is it's very large, and one side is the durable backpack canvas material, the other side is soft and easy to wipe down vinyl. I've been rolling or folding in up to put with my smaller bags after trying out several other pads. I've thought about buying another bag, just to get another pad!

I also have the Baby Sherpa. I think that type of pack might be overkill for a day at school. Too big and bulky.

JMHO,
Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

luvbeinmama
09-01-2003, 12:22 AM
I actually do use a regular backpack as a diaper bag, and have for a few years now. I started using it after my backpack style diaper bag wore out after one year of use (the lining was thrashed, and I'd had to replace the closing strap already). I had volunteered to be on the board of my MOMS Club and knew I would want to have paperwork with me a lot of the time, so I got a regular backpack that has 2 major areas and 2 smaller compartments. Well, I love it. I'm not carrying paperwork anymore, but I've put all sorts of things in there like toys, my baby bjorn, extra clothes, jackets, etc, etc. I think your plan is just great. You can use gallon ziploc bags for diapers, wet bag, extra clothes, etc. Get a travel box for the wipes and you're set. You can use a receiving blanket for a changing area and change your little pumpkin on the grass or whatever. Good luck! I wish you sleep! :)

s_gosney
09-01-2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! My mom is a very by-the-rules type person, so sometimes she convinces me that my ideas are silly. Glad to see that this one works for others so I can just go on with the plan. Thanks again!