PDA

View Full Version : Fashion ignorance: What is toile?

cara1
09-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Ok, so I admit to being fashion illiterate. What is toile and how do you pronounce it? Everyone is talking about this great toile fabric for slings, cart covers, etc. I thought it was that mesh-like fabric from wedding dresses, but I don't think that is what anyone means...

tarheelmom
09-10-2003, 08:49 AM
I LOVE toile, so I'll try to answer this. Toile is a kind of fabric that I think originated in France a long time ago. It is normally a heavy cotton with scenes printed on it. You can get a pastoral toile, which has scenes of country life, children, people, etc. printed on it. There are also floral toiles. The print is normally repeating, large and covers most of the fabric. I put in a link here to the toile bags that I'm Still Me offers. They are really pretty.

Toile is pronounced like "twall", rhymes with small. I think that mesh-like fabric is tulle.

This is probably too much information, but I hope that helps!

Carmen

http://www.imstillme.bizhosting.com/toile_diaper_bags.html

cara1
09-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Ah, thank you.

JerseyMom
09-12-2003, 09:16 PM
And don't mistake Toile for Tulle. The former is the pattern, while the latter is the mesh like material used in wedding gowns.

You could do a toile wedding gown with a tulle overlay, but boy would that be a really ugly dress. ;)

So much fabric, so little time!

mom2kandj
09-13-2003, 12:00 AM
:)

Rose
mom 2 katie (33 months)
& Jack (16 months)