PDA

View Full Version : I NEED HELP with shopping cart covers!

lrg
09-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Hi!!! My baby boy is 5 1/2 months old and out of the infant carrier for about a month. He's not quite sitting up yet without support and taking him on shopping errands has become quite difficult since the stroller plus a cart by myself isn't happening.

I'm ready to go ahead and purchase one of these shopping cart covers and don't know where to begin! The posts I've scanned seem to have people somewhat knowledgeable over a brand or two and I don't know where to begin. I've gathered some have pillows at the back, some are more stuffed, some can be used on high chairs, some have plastic coated fabric etc. and then they seem to vary in price from $25 on up to $79.

Based on my baby not being good at sitting up yet, but hopefully will soon, any suggestions? Also, I always like versatility, so if there is one that works on both a shopping cart and on a high chair, that's great with me, too. Only thing is, on high chairs, do they get really dirty from food or wipe off easily? (i.e., will I need to throw it in the wash every single time we use it in a high chair?)

Additionally, I don't care that much about fabric selections - just want something gender neutral and maybe bright. But I would like to spend the least possible, without compromising safety and comfort for baby.

I would GREATLY, GREATLY appreciate anyone's help. My version of the Baby Bargains book doesn't cover these at all!!!

spence1
09-16-2003, 03:17 PM
DS and I took our first spin in our Buggybagg last night. I wa snot knowledgeable about these things and didn't do a lot of research or comparison shopping, but my DS definitely needed support and I'd heard the the BB had the pillow. It's great! I couldn't believe how padded and cushy it is. It was very easy to use and DS didn't complain at all. I also liked the fabrics for a boy, mine is black and white gingham.

Momof3Labs
09-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Even with a cart cover, it is hard for a baby who can't sit up to ride in the seat of a shopping cart IMO, since there isn't much back or head support. I would suggest that you carry the infant seat in the trunk of your car and use it in the shopping cart when you need it. He will be sitting up in a month or two, so it doesn't make sense to base this purchase solely on that requirement (since there are workarounds). Or use a sling or Baby Bjorn, if you have one.

I have a cover from www.covers4kids.com, spent half what a BuggyBagg costs, and don't miss the features of a BuggyBagg at all. Sure, if I had a BuggyBagg, I'd probably love it, but I'm glad that I saved the $40. You can add a pillow/rolled up blanket to any cover if that's what your baby needs to get comfy.

But here are the facts about my cover:

Lots of fabric options

Lightly padded

Pillow is optional

Can be used on carts and high chairs

Not plastic covered, but machine washable (it cleans up pretty easily, though, since we don't usually do messy finger foods when we are in a restaurant)

Covers the entire shopping cart area (front, sides, back, handle)

liya
09-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Is a shopping cart cover completely an indispensable item...I mean does on really need it..Does it get alot harder to travel with your kid in your stroller? Being as though my son is only 7 months i cant picture it yet so i would love some experience in this matter...

TIA

Momof3Labs
09-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Linda,

I got one because I am a bit germ-o-phobic. And Colin is so mouthy. I'd rather he be chewing on his cover than on the shopping cart or high chair itself. Or even worse, the strap - ick!! It is nice because at our grocery store, not all of the carts have straps, or they are sometimes in bad shape.

But if I didn't want to spend the money, I could probably find a way to cover the offending areas in a blanket.

I don't consider it an alternative to the stroller - I use it when I need the cart (and thus cannot use the stroller). My first choice will always be to put Colin in his stroller (or in his sling) because then he is exposed to mostly his germs, but if I need to buy $100 worth of groceries, the stroller just won't hold that.

LisaMom2Allie
09-16-2003, 09:51 PM
I just got the BuggyBagg and love it. It covers the entire seat and sides and is really padded. It has a large pocket that I put some wipes and a diaper in and places to "hook" toys. My DD is 6 months old and is not completely sitting up by herself so I really liked the pillow and at Sams the other day she just stretched out in the seat with her head on the pillow and took a nap. I really have not seen anybody using them around town but I really love mine. I know lots of kids ride in nasty carts and chew on the handle but that doesn't mean that my DD has to. Things like that really gross me out-I too am a bit of a germaphobe. Plus it is soft and cushiony and the more comfortable she is the longer she will shop.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

lrg
09-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Hey, thanks for the feedback. Does anyone else know about any of the others out there and how they compare? Does covers4kids have the pillows, too? Or are they not as cushiony as the buggybagg? I'm also a germaphobe, so I would like to have the extra protection, as well. If I can get away with not spending the $79 for the buggybagg being that we just dropped $350 on 2 new convertible car seats, that'd be nice!

cinrein
09-17-2003, 10:09 AM
I don't think I've ever read a post here where someone hated their shopping cart cover, so any one you pick is probably a good quality product. It just comes down to how much you want to spend, the features you want and the fabric.

I agree with Lori that the shopping cart cover isn't going to help your baby sit up. Stuffing pillows around him would prop him up, but his back isn't yet strong enough to support himself for long periods. It's better to carry him in his infant seat or a sling until he sits up well on his own.

Here is a site that compares some of the covers out there: http://www.bur####baby.com/seatcovcomch.html

I have a BuggyBagg and really like it. I think I would have been happy with many of the covers out there. If you do choose the BuggyBagg, the best price I found for it was at www.uniquebabyproducts.com. They give 10% off your first order.

Cindy
Mama to Anna 2/11/03

sherryh
09-17-2003, 09:58 PM
I bought the Infantino Shop N' Play cart cover. I liked that it can also be used as a baby play blanket, and it only costs around $30.

Here is a link:

http://store.yahoo.com/nurturecenter/inshandpl.html

Good luck!

SherryH

hellokitty1
09-17-2003, 10:26 PM
The Infantino is available at Target or target.com for $19.99

Momof3Labs
09-18-2003, 07:58 PM
The Infantino is a cute idea, but doesn't cover the sides of the carts. Not worth it if you are using a cart cover to protect from germs.