PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Bag Confusion

jframeli
09-23-2003, 06:54 PM
I think I'm looking for 2 different dipaer bags. One to use on day trips (shopping, etc.) and one to take with me when I spend the night somewhere (usually no more than one night). I currently have a Colorado midi tote and a Baby Innovations messenger bag from BRU (both are returnable at this point). I was thinking the tote would be more compact for day trips, but now that I look at them side by side, they look similar in size (one's longer and the other's wider). The messenger bag has an insulated pocket for a bottle and the tote has an insulated front pocket for bottle, food, etc. However, is this important for day trips? I will be a nursing mother, but I would like my husband to be able to grab the diaper bag and go if necessary. And, as I haven't even had the baby yet, I don't even know if I need an insulated pocket for a bottle of breast milk! There is soooo much to learn!
I know I don't need a huge bag for overnight trips, as we don't tend to go anywhere for more than one night. And I guess I could use one bag for both, but I've heard that having a small bag to grab and go on daily trips is a good idea. So I'm thinking the big bag would need more room for clothes, medicine & grooming stuff, and more diapers...While the little bag would only be diapers and an emergency change of clothes.
I know this is a long post, but I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions! Any help from those who have experienced this and have some suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

C99
09-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I haven't heard of either of those bags, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I will say that I have been pleased w/ my Lands' End bags (a L'il Tripper and a tote bag, though I'm seriously considering the new Do-it-All) and my Combi backpack has limitations but is OK. Since you haven't had your baby yet, you have no idea what you'll need and when, so I'd hold off on acquiring a lot of bags before s/he arrives. I'd probably just get a day-tripper bag for now. Your needs and how you use the bag will change as your baby ages. When my baby was first born, I used to carry everything out with me in case of emergency. Then, over time, I realized that I rarely needed/used some items and just started leaving them at home. And now that my baby is a little older and eating solid foods, what we pack in the bag has changed again. I don't use the insulated pocket for food, but other people might and that may change as he weans away from breastmilk and toward "adult" food.

HTH

amp
09-23-2003, 09:32 PM
I don't know anything about the bags you mentioned either. I have 2 Eddie Bauer (the ones from Target) diaper bags. I have the small one and the larger one (not the backpack) and I like them both. I do find the small one to be pretty cramped when I want to take a lot of stuff, but the big one doesn't fit in my stroller basket well, so I only carry it for longer outings or trips. I guess I'm happy enough that I'm not looking for another bag (at least not yet . }( )

TraciG
09-24-2003, 12:07 AM
I am having a tough time deciding on diaper bags, in the Baby Bargains book they say it's good to have one for every day trips & a larger one, overnight. I am thinking about the Lands End Little Tripper & the Improved Do It All, they're supposed to be very good bags & hold up really well.

We got a combi diaper bag as a gift, the Traditional Bag,but I might return it & order the Land End. I have no experience either, my baby girl wont be here until November.

good luck :)

JennyA
09-24-2003, 07:07 AM
Have you looked at the I'm Still Me bags for everyday? Lot's of BB members have gotten them and LOVE them (ME TWO!! :-)) They are perfect for everyday and people actually stop you in the store to ask about them which makes you want more too! here's the link http://imstillme.bizhosting.com Have fun and try not to become addicted to diaper bags! (It's hard) jenny Sheila's mama