PDA

View Full Version : NEW Lands End Do It All Diaper Bag!!

jbrandy
09-27-2003, 08:19 PM
I just thought I'd let everyone who has considered the new Do it all diaper bag that it is WONDERFUL!!! I had bought the old one in April liked it ok--was annoyed that the bag literally spilled it's contents when you opened it all the way up. The new one fixes that problem--it opens really wide but only at the top. I like the new bottle pockets on the outside and the place for parent's stuff. The only draw back--no super long carrying strap like the old one. It has two shorter handles that snap together but it's hard to throw over your shoulder with a baby in your arms. I also like the new fabric--it seems sturdier and more rugged--it's like a heavy canvas. This bag will be great for years since it doesn't really look like a diaper bag.

Beth B
Mom to Evan 4-4-03

Melanie
09-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Thank you. I'm bummed about the lack of long-strap, though. I wish it had a removeable at least...ala a carry-on bag.

Momof3Labs
09-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Me, too. I won't be buying one of these. Oh, well, maybe they'll get it right next time!

bubbaray
09-29-2003, 09:36 PM
I am a huge Lands End fan. I have given their older style diaper bags as shower gifts in the past. I wasn't thrilled with last year's update. So, I thought this new bag looked great....

First off, let me say that I ordered black because I wanted a black diaper bag. I did NOT receive a black bag. It is OLIVE GREEN, not black, with black trim. I was so shocked at the color that I phoned their customer service to see if it was a mistake, but the customer service rep said that all the black ones were actually olive green. I think this is quite misleading and LE staff should call this color olive green, not black.

Secondly, there is no shoulder strap. I ordered mine before I read the posts below -- had I known, I would NEVER have ordered a bag without a shoulder strap. Even though this is our first baby, I'm pretty sure that we will have our hands full and not be able to juggle hand straps on top of a wiggly newborn!!!

It is also somewhat heavy, even empty. I think that is because of the wide mouth opening -- it seems to have a metal frame or something.

I like how wide it opens. I also like the light blue lining -- really easy to see stuff.

However, I'm still deciding if I am going to return the bag or not. It really isn't what I need!

Melissa

Kimberly H
09-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Melissa, can you get the straps over your shoulder?

bubbaray
09-29-2003, 11:05 PM
I can just barely get them over my shoulder with the bag empty. Probably not a chance with it full. My husband can't get them over his shoulder with it empty. One of the reasons I (used to!) love LE bags is that they come in unisex colors -- I wanted a bag he would use too. So, I'm not sure what to do. The more I look at the other features, I really like them. But the strap thing SUCKS!

Melissa

Kimberly H
09-30-2003, 05:28 AM
I'm wondering if there's a way to attach a shoulder strap to the new bag...

It would almost be worth buying a cheap bag for the strap and finding a place to sew it on. Maybe my alterations place. Thoughts??

I really like it from the website and, well, I ordered a red one. I can't beat the price and I think it will do well for us in China when we go to get Mia.

Being, ahem, FLUFFY, I'm really afraid about the straps but it can always go back, right?

zuzu
09-30-2003, 10:48 AM
I received my new "black" Do-It-All bag and second everything Melissa wrote. When I looked at it last night it didn't look very black to me, but since I wasn't seeing it in the daylight, I thought, maybe it really is black. But I guess not. As for the shoulder strap, when I called to order they told me there was one, but I later learned from this thread that there wasn't. The straps aren't really short, and do fit over my shoulder, but are but not long enough for DH nor for how we wanted to use the bag. I do like the way it opens though. It would be easy to clip on a long strap if the strap adjusters weren't both on the same side of the bag. I thought this was going to be a great bag, but with its considerable weight and lack of a long shoulder strap, I think I'm still going to be looking around.

If anyone comes across something similar or ever slightly bigger, but not heavier, AND with a long strap, please post. It wouldn't be my every day bag, but one for overnight/weekend and plane trips.

thanks,
(another) melissa

RiaHannam
09-30-2003, 10:51 AM
Well shoot, I was hoping this was the perfect diaper bag......... Tell me, how in the world can you leave out such an integral part of a diaper bag - The shoulder strap???!!! Mom's hands are already full and we are expected to whip out a third arm to carry the bag?? I just don't get it - pretty disappointed in their testers!

I'm sticking with my trusty black similac bag from the hospital.......

Thanks for the review everyone - I had been anxiously awaiting!

Maria

redhookmom
09-30-2003, 03:58 PM
I will just echo the above posts about the straps. It said in the catalog that is was designed by a Mom. I'm thinking it was a Mom with a nanny! LOL

One interesting feature is the changing pad. It has zippered compartments. So I guess you could store a diaper, wipes and a small powder in it. So you could just grab the pad out of the bag.

I think I will use this as my leave in the car bag. Not something you would use everyday.

Jessica

sbaker
09-30-2003, 08:29 PM
I know from past conversations with Lands End that they keep a record of customer comments about their products. Maybe if everyone emailed them and told them that the bag needs a shoulder strap they would add one in their next edition. Just a thought....If you're interested here's a link to their email info:
http://www.landsend.com/cgi-bin/email_opt.cgi?mode=GRAPHIC&sid=2613097314179150180

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

ginamlee
09-30-2003, 10:51 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here.

I ordered the bag in black. To me, it looks black. Part of the bag is a different fabric and it is more of a dark charcoal. But, I think it looks sharp. Mine definitely does not look green at all.

Functionality...

No, there is not a long shoulder strap. However, when I loosen the straps all the way, I can easily wear in over my shoulder, even when full of newborn gear and supplies. It hits at my hip, which is where I would have shortened a longer strap to hit anyway. (I'm 5'5" if that is useful.) My husband always carried our other Lands End bags by the hand straps, so the fact that it may not work over the shoulder for him isn't really an issue. (He hasn't tried, so I don't know if he could actually carry it that way or not.)

I love the organization of this bag. It is better designed than the others.

The front parent pocket easily holds my billfold wallet, checkbook wallet, cell phone and keys. There is still room for more.

The outside bottle holders are easily accessible and fit Advent bottles fine.

The changing pad does have 2 zippered compartments which could be used for wipes or other supplies.

The inside has a lot of pockets and I find it easy to organize. I love that the wide mouth will stay open on its' own, similar to a salesman's case. With a baby in one arm, this along with the light blue interior make everything really easy to find and access. The middle pouch can be removed from the bag or secured to the bag with snaps. This is so convenient for dirties.

I am so pleased with this bag!

Soooo...if anyone ordered it and would rather have a black Combi Traditional diaper bag, let me know. I have a brand new one that I never used. However, I took the tags off and can't return it. I paid $40 for it, so it is my loss and your gain, but I'd rather have another one of these Lands End bags.

Here's the Combi bag for trade (it does have a long shoulder strap):

http://www.adoptionannouncements.com/ebay/combibag2.jpg

Features of Combi bag:
Easily accessible top zippered storage pocket.
Deep inside compartment holds everything.
Insulated side bottle pocket keeps liquids at proper temperature.
Padded, ergonomically designed shoulder strap.
Five inside pockets for separating dirty duds, containers & other items.
Front section unzips to reveal storage area for diapers, wipes, and snacks.
Parent friendly design is appropriate for mom or dad.
Back Velcro-closure pocket contains a padded wipe-clean diaper changing pad
Dimensions: 18 x 8 x 12 in.
black micro fiber

email me at ginalee @ columbus. rr. com if you want to swap

pamela mom of 3
10-01-2003, 04:01 PM
i just recently bought one as well in the new burnt orange{ i also have an orange little tripper plus a few other older LE bags..lol plus many others ;) }

Anyhow i agree the lack of shoulder strap is a bit of a bummer but i knew when i bought it lacked that feature -however- what drew me to it was the wide mouth opening, it's nice being able to have a bag stay open not open & flop..like many other bages do.

I don't really carry my bags far they go from car to stroller so i am not as effected, but i a shoulder strap wouldn't be a bad idea :D

Overall i give it a thumbs up but if you like/need to carry a bag instead of stow it in a buggy this probably isn't "the one" ;)
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

TraciG
10-01-2003, 11:47 PM
I have the Combi bag, i'm trying to decide if I should keep it or return it & get the new Land's End bag which obviously u like. How come u like the LE better then the Combi ??

Melanie
10-02-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the link. I emailed them.

ginamlee
10-02-2003, 12:02 PM
I can't really put my finger on it. I haven't even used the Combi; it is brand new. Maybe I'm just used to the general Lands End layout; I've always used their bags in the past. Sorry that it isn't much help.

TraciG
10-02-2003, 01:57 PM
is the LE bigger then the Combi, do they both have the same amount of pockets ????

ginamlee
10-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Still available to swap if someone wants to. Otherwise, I'll probably eBay the Combi bag next week.

>I guess I'm in the minority here.
>
>I ordered the bag in black. To me, it looks black. Part of
>the bag is a different fabric and it is more of a dark
>charcoal. But, I think it looks sharp. Mine definitely does
>not look green at all.
>
>Functionality...
>
>No, there is not a long shoulder strap. However, when I
>loosen the straps all the way, I can easily wear in over my
>shoulder, even when full of newborn gear and supplies. It
>hits at my hip, which is where I would have shortened a longer
>strap to hit anyway. (I'm 5'5" if that is useful.) My
>husband always carried our other Lands End bags by the hand
>straps, so the fact that it may not work over the shoulder for
>him isn't really an issue. (He hasn't tried, so I don't know
>if he could actually carry it that way or not.)
>
>I love the organization of this bag. It is better designed
>than the others.
>
>The front parent pocket easily holds my billfold wallet,
>checkbook wallet, cell phone and keys. There is still room
>for more.
>
>The outside bottle holders are easily accessible and fit
>Advent bottles fine.
>
>The changing pad does have 2 zippered compartments which
>could be used for wipes or other supplies.
>
>The inside has a lot of pockets and I find it easy to
>organize. I love that the wide mouth will stay open on its'
>own, similar to a salesman's case. With a baby in one arm,
>this along with the light blue interior make everything really
>easy to find and access. The middle pouch can be removed from
>the bag or secured to the bag with snaps. This is so
>convenient for dirties.
>
>I am so pleased with this bag!
>
>Soooo...if anyone ordered it and would rather have a black
>Combi Traditional diaper bag, let me know. I have a brand new
>one that I never used. However, I took the tags off and can't
>return it. I paid $40 for it, so it is my loss and your gain,
>but I'd rather have another one of these Lands End bags.
>
>Here's the Combi bag for trade (it does have a long shoulder
>strap):
>
>http://www.adoptionannouncements.com/ebay/combibag2.jpg
>
>Features of Combi bag:
>Easily accessible top zippered storage pocket.
>Deep inside compartment holds everything.
>Insulated side bottle pocket keeps liquids at proper
>temperature.
>Padded, ergonomically designed shoulder strap.
>Five inside pockets for separating dirty duds, containers &
>other items.
>Front section unzips to reveal storage area for diapers,
>wipes, and snacks.
>Parent friendly design is appropriate for mom or dad.
>Back Velcro-closure pocket contains a padded wipe-clean
>diaper changing pad
>Dimensions: 18 x 8 x 12 in.
>black micro fiber
>
>email me at ginalee @ columbus. rr. com if you want to swap
>

Kimberly H
10-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Well, it came today and it's going back tomorrow.

The straps are way too short as neither DH nor I can get them on our shoulders, the straps just fit over the stroller handle (bar style), the red isn't the color I expected, and it just seems awkward from the bottle holders to the actual shape.

I'm bummed...

redhookmom
10-06-2003, 08:03 PM
I finally actually used my bag yesterday. We were off to a birthday party so I figured I could just plop my shoulderstrapless bag on the floor. Well it sat there wide open and it was nice having that nice big opening to see everything.

The trouble started when I tried to close it. First I tried while holding my DD in one arm. Well it did not seem possible with one hand so I put her down. She was quite whiney but it was only for a second. Well, I could not close it with two hands. It was like an overloaded bag where you have to hold the zipper closed. But the bag was not overloaded! Someone helped me so it took 4 hands!

Jessica