PDA

View Full Version : What do you put in your diaper bag???

todzwife
10-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Ok, so I know the obvious...diapers& wipes and probably a change of clothes, but really what do you put in your diaper bag? I tend to be an overpacker, I like to be prepared...I have a LE little tripper that I plan to use most of the time. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks bunches! :)

egoldber
10-05-2003, 06:39 PM
For a breastfed newborn, I think its easy.

diapers
wipes
bags for dirty diapers
a pacifier, if using
Lansinoh, if using
extra breast pads
an extra outfit
a burp cloth
a 1/2 liter bottle of water (for mom)
a snack (for mom)

The Little Tripper was the only bag I had until Sarah was 6 months old. Once they start solids and you start feeding them when "out and about" life becomes more complicated.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
10-05-2003, 07:48 PM
For a breastfed newborn, here is what I had:

changing pad
diapers
wipes
trash bags for diapers
receiving blanket
change of clothes for baby
hat for baby (winter hat, then sun hat)
extra nursing pads for me
purell hand sanitizer (I've never used it)
diaper rash cream (never used it)
Shout wipes (for treating stains, so far never used it for baby, just me)
burp cloths
bottle of water for me
camera

When she was about 4 months old, I added some toys. Everything else is still the same.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

todzwife
10-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Ah ha! Extra nursing pads! See, I wouldn't have thought of that on my own! Thank you!

new_mommy25
10-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Believe me, you will need those extra nursing pads lol...

todzwife
10-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Yeah, considering I have been leaking since week 16, I probably will! LOL!

Jen841
10-06-2003, 12:53 PM
This is exactly what we have in our diaper bag. We have used the hand sanitizer. The Shout wipes have been used for DS's clothes after explosions. I also have a granola bar for me and my cell phone and wallet.

We do have stuff for "the emergency bottle." I nurse, but there are times that a bottle is necessary to make life easier for Mom(i.e. during church, while riding on the expressway or sitting in traffic,...) The bottle is a toy at this point. He LOVES to chew on the nipple. Better the bottle than me!

stillplayswithbarbies
10-06-2003, 01:35 PM
You're not kidding. I have extra nursing pads in my desk at work, in my purse, in my computer backpack, the diaper bag, and the glovebox of the car!

I'm prepared for leaking anywhere I am LOL

I've only needed them once, since I always put on a pair when I get dressed in the morning. I somehow forgot them one day! Good thing I had some at work.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

redhookmom
10-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Lots of good info here. I also carry a small laminated card with Dr. and poison control numbers.

Jessica

pamela mom of 3
10-09-2003, 07:13 PM
I have always travelled pretty light even when i had 2 in diapers....

I usually have wipes, diapers, some small snacks cookies, cheerios and many times now a thomas train for my son lol :D

Also a sippy cup of water, i carry a seperate bottle bag with an ice pack.

:)
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

mama2be
10-09-2003, 08:58 PM
I haven't read any ones post...but if no one has mentioned it make sure you get the blue baby powder smelling bags from SASSY in there. 50 bags is about $3 and they are a godsend!!!
I get them at Walmart, I'm not certain I ever saw them anywhere else.

egoldber
10-09-2003, 09:20 PM
You can also get these at BRU/TRU. And I think I've seen them at dollar stores and CVS also.

HTH,

amp
10-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Right now we have the following....

About 4 diapers
Wipes
Disposable changing pads
Receiving blanket
2 cloth dipes for feeding/spitup/drool
Plastic bags for dirty diapers or any other potential mess
Gas drops
Bottle w/ formula
Extra formula packets
Bottle of water for formula
gas drops
tylenol
Wet Ones, shout wipes, sample diaper cream pkt.
Advil & lip balm & my wallet for me

In both cars I also have:
clean shirt for me
clean outfit for DS
Extra dipes
Extra wipes
Extra disposable changing pads
Hat for DS

I am an overpacker, aren't I? No wonder I can't fit any toys in the diaper bag yet!? I may need a bigger one!

khakismom
10-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Good stuff listed. :) Plus, I always have with me my two DDs' immunization records. You need these if you ever have to take them to the hospital. (And I've had to use them this way once when we had to take Kathleen to the ER.)

heva
10-14-2003, 11:30 AM
I stashed a couple of maxi pads in mine as well - especially handy in the first 2 weeks after delivery!

parkersmama
10-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Me, too. That's a great suggestion. I just keep one in there so that I'm always prepared. If you're breastfeeding, you really never know when it's gonna strike again!

August Mom
10-15-2003, 08:48 AM
Great suggestions above. I also carry a Ziplop bag with me to store DS's dirty outfit in case we have a problem. We had a bad accident at the mall once and I have no idea what I would have done with his dirty clothes without the Ziploc bag. Yuck.

So, my newborn bag looked like this:

3 diapers
travel pack of wipes
receiving blanket
burp cloth
extra sleeper
disposable changing pads
scented diaper disposal bags
Ziploc bag
Purell
diaper rash cream
Shout wipes
extra breast pads
Aquaphor (DS has eczema)
washcloth (DS had blocked tear duct and we had to wipe out his eye)

When DS was 2-3 months old, I added a rattle and Celeste the Sun.

When DS could eat finger foods, I added a bib and snacks like puffed rice cereal, Cheerios and Gerber veggie crackers.

Now, I have snacks, a sippy cup and some board books and I've removed the blanket and burp cloth.