PDA

View Full Version : Is Combi US okay for travel?

new_mommy25
10-21-2003, 07:50 PM
DS and I are traveling for the first time in about two weeks. We are flying from Seattle to Phoenix which is about a three hour flight. I will be alone.

I have a Combi US which I love but I'm not sure if it's big enough.

Normally I carry:
3-4 extra diapers (I'm hoping I won't have to change on the plane, what a nightmare)
Slim case of wipes
Recieving blanket
Cloth diaper burp rag
Sassy disposable diaper sacks
Sling (cotton ring sling)
Extra sleeper/onesie/couple of extra caps and socks
Extra shirt for me (DS is a spitter)
bottle of water
wallet/keys/cell
powder compact/chapstick/lipstick/concealer (doesn't take up any room)

All of this fits perfectly into my bag but there really is no room for anything else. I can probably squeeze a mag in there to read but that's about it. Can you think of anything else I need to bring? I'll be wearing my denim jacket and can always tie it around my waist if it gets too warm.

Normally when I travel I have a backpack stuffed with useless junk, like cd's I never listen to or books I don't read. I also usually have things like camera, cosmetic bag etc. but I'm thinking I'll just check those in with my suitcase.

If you think I need a bigger bag, are there any suggestions? I would prefer a sling/messenger style. Although I'll have my P3 and car seat, most likely DS will be in the sling.

One last thing. When I BF I ALWAYS use a boppy. I've managed to do it in the sling a few times and have been *practicing* with and without a sling in front of the mirror. However DH thinks I should bring it with me to make life easier at my moms house. I still have the little plastic bag with handles it came in. Should I bring that on the plane or will that be too much to carry? I could check it in the suitcase but then I'd need a much bigger suitcase.

I'm sorry, this started out as a simple post and I didn't intend to be this longwinded. It's just that I'm really overwhelmed about the whole airplane traveling. I wish my husband could come but he couldn't get the time off work :(
TIA

egoldber
10-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Well, I would definitely bring more diapers. Remeber, you'll be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time, plus the time on the plane, plus picking up checked baggage at the other end. And what if your flight gets delayed? So I would bring (for a baby as young as yours) 6-10 diapers, depending on how confident you feel. :)

At that age you don't need any toys. I also never bring anything more than a magazine for me on flights anymore. I used to read and read or knit or cross-stitch on planes, but not anymore, LOL! I would do a trial pac of the bag and see what you think.

As far as the Boppy goes, why not have your mom buy one on her end? They usually have them at Marshalls and TJ Maxx for $12.99. That way it'll be there if you need it.

HTH,

new_mommy25
10-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks so much! What an awesome idea about the boppy. In fact I saw them for 12.99 just the other day at TJ Maxx. She's alreay picking up diapers so it shouldn't be a problem.

mharling
10-21-2003, 09:25 PM
I traveled with ds by myself a couple of weeks a go. The key is to be organized and take it slow. Definitely have as little as possible with you. I got by with one suitcase for both of us that I checked. Then all I had was the stroller with a Bjorn and jackets in the basket, ds in the carseat on the stroller and a backpack.

In addition to what you mentioned, I like to carry granola bars with me. I personally would not want to put my camera in my checked bag. I didn't have a diaper bag that was big enough for everything (especially with the camera), so I just used a big, regular backpack. Instead of taking my purse, I put my drivers license, 2 credit cards and some cash in a little zippered pouch that I carried in the backpack.

One little tip that I did that worked GREAT! I took regular Ziplocs and put a diaper, a disposable changing pad and 2 wipes in a snack-size ziploc in each of them. That way, when ds needed his diaper changed, I wasn't digging through my bag looking for everything separately. I could just grab a bag, do the diaper change and then toss the whole thing.

And I second the suggestion about having your mom buy a boppy! You definitely don't want to worry and packing and schlepping it.

Good luck!!! Let me know if you have other questions.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3524e54e42d - New 10/3

JustMare
10-21-2003, 10:55 PM
Great ziploc idea!!!! Very creative!!

Have to remember that one!! :)

new_mommy25
10-21-2003, 11:15 PM
I like the idea about the individual diaper change kits. The airporst is so disgusting anyway that I don't think I like the idea of my regular changing pad tounching the surface.

Anyway, I did as Beth said and packed a "trial run". Turns out the bag is just too tight with everything. I packed an extra blanket, another back up outfit for DS, two bottles of water because I get so thirsty, a magazine and a paperback and the bag was literally bursting at the seams. If I want to find anything buried at the bottom I have to take out everything on top. Plus I'm assuming I'll find aditional things I need to pack later. Also I'm thinking I should carry my camera with me. Not only do I not want to risk it getting stolen, I'd like to get pictures at the airport of Noah's first vacation. Also thanks for the reminder about the granola bars. I need to pack some of those or a ziploc full of trail mix or something. I don't think I'll be getting a meal. I'm actually writing all this down becasue I just know I'll forget something when I pack, lol.

So now I'm on the quest for a bigger bag. I want something Messenger style. A backpack wouldn't work with if I'm wearing a sling, and I'm planning on packing the Bjorn in my suitcase. I also want something practical that I'll be able to use on more than one occasion.
Maybe the classic Do-it-all from Lands end (This one has a shouldar strap and is only 29.5)http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1943_47583_72286_50733_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=4623039806397165060&mode=GRAPHIC&refer=/cd/frontdoor/&fromsearch=1
Diaper case bag from Eddie Bauer http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?cm_cg=T1&product_id=20496&nv=5|21462|1033
This one from One Step Ahead looked cool, not quite sure if its big enoughhttp://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=123757&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=27211&iProductID=123757&change=117
One Step Ahead had some other ones that looked good but they were way out of my price range. I really don't want to spend more than $50

Any suggestions? I'm going to hit the mall and maybe some consignment shops tomorrow and see if I can find something. I figured it doesn't have to be a designated diaper bag. It can be any bag as long as it fits the bill.

Thanks again!

egoldber
10-23-2003, 06:50 AM
Definitely check out places that carry inexpensive, trendier items like Target and Old Navy. Messsenger style bags are SO popular these days that almost everyone has one!

HTH,

new_mommy25
10-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Beth, thanks for all your help. I just wanted to update and say I found a great expandable messenger yesterday at Ross for a whopping 14.99. So I am definetly pleased.

calebsmama03
10-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Just FYI - I wear a backpack with my sling and it works great as long as the straps are adjusted correctly (not too long). I feel "balanced" with weight on both the front and back, but DS is a lot bigger than yours :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

rardnek
10-31-2003, 11:03 AM
Just one comment on the camera delimma. I have a decent camera that I like, but it really takes up so much room, so I've started packing it in checked luggage (I worry less about theft than damage -- so i pack it carefully in the middle of my bag - well cushioned by clothes).

But I had the same delimma as you -- I wanted to be able to take pictures in the airport. What I did was pack a disposable camera with me. It's small and although the quality isn't as good as my regular camera, I've found it's a good compromise so I don't have to lug something heavier with me.

HTH,

Kendra

stillplayswithbarbies
10-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Remember that nowadays they are going to screen your checked luggage, which means they open your suitcase and poke around in it, sometimes taking everything out and repacking it. I would not trust them to repack it as well cushioned as you had it at first, and I would be worried about theft once they see there is a camera in there.

As for the boppy - they now make inflatable ones. Pack it in the diaper bag and blow it up if you need it on the plane or airport.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
10-31-2003, 02:33 PM
I have checked inexpensive cameras in my checked luggage, but I would personally never check a good quality camera. Not so much because of theft (not likely, although it most assuredly can and does happen).

Not only might they not re-pack your luggage without the same tender loving care you did, as Karen pointed out, but the vibration of being in the cargo hold can knock your camera out of alignment. In the cases when we have HAD to check a camera, we use a Pelican case.

http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

HTH,