PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Backpack for Disney World Trip? Baby Sherpa?

lmariana
10-24-2003, 12:19 PM
I need MAJOR help deciding on a good diaper backpack! My husband and I are taking our son, who will be 4 mo. old, to Disney this December.

Here's what I'm looking for:
1. Comfortable back and straps
2. Insulated pocket(s) for bottles (or separate bottle carrier)
3. Plenty of well-organized space for baby's things and ours
4. Lightweight
5. Maybe some exterior latches for attaching toys/etc?
6. Changing pad

I've been looking at the Baby Sherpa (www.babysherpa.com) backpack, but I don't know if it's worth the $90 or not. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm willing to shell out the big bucks for a good bag, if it's worth it. We're frequent Disney visitors, so this bag will get plenty of use!

I currently use Tote Le Monde's baby messenger bag. I bought it for the cute looks, so now I'm looking for a good, functional bag.

Thanks for your advice!

Mariana

c2lane
10-24-2003, 12:47 PM
What about the Mackenzie's Satchel Backpack on sale at Right Start for $12.95? I have it but obviously haven't used it yet BUT it seems to have lots of room, compartments, etc...

The thread is up above.

Carrie
GIRL edd 01/01/04

stillplayswithbarbies
10-24-2003, 02:22 PM
The Right Start carries the Baby Sherpa. If you have a store near you, you could see it in person.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

lmariana
10-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks, I wish I did have a store nearby! We have the Zany Brainy stores, but not the Right Starts. Oh well!

kathsmom
10-25-2003, 10:50 AM
Mariana,

They have Right Start "boutiques" in our Zany Brainy stores. I saw the Baby Sherpa when I stopped by the other day at our Zany Brainy. That thing is huge! It may be just what you are looking for though. We went to Disney World last year with DD, who was almost 6 at the time. I was 5 months pregnant with DS. I just used one of her small backpacks to take things we needed and we carried a small soft sided insulated cooler with drinks in it. Of course, you would need more if you have a baby with you, but I just wanted to share what we did on our trip. Good luck on finding what you need and have fun at Disney!

Ami
10-25-2003, 11:52 AM
I just went to Disneyland in September with my toddler and the Baby Sherpa was fantastic! We had all her snacks, drinks, sippy cups, gear, jackets, video camera,wallet, regular camera and room for souvenirs in the Sherpa. It was loaded but I carried it all day and the the ergo straps make it feel really light. It does cost a bit more but you will save that on taking your own food and snacks in! It has a water bottle holder and Soothy holder on the outside of the bag. You can get it online or at Right Start and FAO stores.I felt sorry for all the other parents schlepping 3 or 4 bags with their gear.

Have a great trip.

Ami

egoldber
10-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Honestly, I would bring a regular backpack and just add a changing pad. Much cheaper than any "diaper" backpack, and since you only need it for the trip, I wouldn't spend a lot on it.

HTH,

justlearning
10-25-2003, 12:48 PM
I read that this backpack is now out of stock at that price, but I'd still recommend it highly. I bought it for $30 on sale and I think it'd be great for Disney World! I wrote an extended review of this backpack some months ago if you wanted to do a search.

lmariana
10-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks, that's very helpful! My main concern was keeping the bottles of formula cool enough for the day. That cooler compartment really caught my eye. How well did that compartment work for you?

Mariana

Ami
10-28-2003, 06:45 PM
The cooler worked really well. Instead of ice paks I use a frozen bottle of water-as the ice melts I also have cool drinking water.

Ami

lmariana
10-28-2003, 08:01 PM
That is a really excellent idea! We're staying on Disney property at the beach Club Villas, so we'll have a fridge in our room. I'll definitely be using that suggestion!

Thanks!

Mariana

MinnieMouse
10-30-2003, 01:03 PM
We were just at disney last week and used our Land's End Backpack Diaper Bag there...and used it on a trip there last year as well.

To be honest I love this bag. We use it all the time now for longer outings. It's built like a regular backpack (front, middle and back compartments) and doesn't have a lot of little compartments. Has a key fob in the middle one. THEN it has a bottom compartment that zips in the front of the backpack, we use that one to keep diapers and the travel wipes. The changing pad is HUGE and is folded in a pocket on the back of the backpack...and helps cushion your back when you are carrying it. In addition it also comes with a zippered waterproof bag for dirty or wet clothes and an insulated bag that holds two large sippy cups AND a skinny cold pack (not included).

This worked great for us. Last year on our trip when we were in the parks all day, the backpack held dd's diapers, wipes, change of clothes, thin rain parkas for ALL THREE of us, snacks and misc stuff. Oh and dd's stuffed Minnie Mouse which she wanted to bring but then didn't want to carry :-).

HTH

Christine