PDA

View Full Version : Lands' End Diaper Bag- the "Improved" needs an improvement!

ckate1
11-02-2003, 06:28 PM
I recently ordered two diaper bags from Lands' End, the Do-It-All and the improved Do-It-All. The original seems too big, although I may change my mind after the little one arrives. Plus, in my opinion the color selection is a little weak. The improved version is awesome in many ways but one. First the positives: on the outside are two bottle pockets, one good-sized zippered outside mom pocket, and a slot in back for the changing pad; Inside are plenty of compartments and the light blue interior really is a smart idea allowing nothing to hide, the wide mouth top is also great. Closed up it is a very managable size and doesn't have the diaper bag look. Now the big negative: it has no shoulder strap!! Seasoned moms should speak up if this isn't a big issue, but too me it seems like it'd be nice for the option at least to sling it over your shoulder. The straps adjusted their longest length, still require two hands to get it over my shoulder and then the bag is practically in my armpit. I am bummed becuase it is perfect in so many other ways including the thick fabric and cool colors. Oh well. I found an Eddie Bauer d.bag at BRU this week that is a little smaller than the Lands' End original do-it-all but with the thick cordura nylon. I think it'll work well, especially when I need that shoulder strap!

Good luck to all in the diaper bag hunt!

Kimberly H
11-02-2003, 07:15 PM
No shoulder strap is a HUGE deal to me! I ordered the new Do-It-All, tried to sling it over my shoulder, watched my DH try the same, and back in the box it went.

Now I'm going to try the improved Diaper Backpack. Having trouble deciding...navy or blue? I can't tell if the "blue" is robins egg or more of a periwinkle.

Momof3Labs
11-02-2003, 07:29 PM
Yep, that strap is a big issue to me, too. I would order this bag in a minute if it had a nice, long, adjustable (detachable would be fine) shoulder strap. IMO, it is easier to get the bag slung over my shoulder, especially when I have a winter coat on, and then I can also sling it over my stroller handlebars (a must since my favorite stroller falls a little short in the basket area).

You are definitely thinking like a seasoned mom!!

Kayla
11-04-2003, 06:45 PM
Why not order a swatch to see the exact color(s)? I did this when I was considering one of their diaper bags. They send these for free.

coffeemug230
11-28-2003, 07:32 PM
I am totally at a loss of what to do too! I can't BELIEVE that LE would ever make a diaper bag like this!! I am sooo bummmed because I like the bag better than the older model.

I am thinking of sewing straps on but am sort of annoyed that I would have to do that.

I wonder if the Little Tripper is big enough for me???

brittone2
11-29-2003, 10:16 AM
FYI I emailed LE about the lack of a strap and explained how almost every single mom is going to want a strap, and that I'm surprised they wouldn't have figured that out sooner. I didn't buy one, but explained I definitely would if only it had a strap!! I didn't keep their response, but they did apologize and say in spring/summer they may add a strap to the bag, so that is something to consider. It may be coming out w/ a strap in a few months...

Beth

Newchicagomom
11-29-2003, 01:46 PM
I bought the same "new and improved" diaper bag, and agree that the lack of a shoulder strap is a big problem. But for me the weight of the bag (with the heavy nylon and the metal bars that create the "wide mouth" opening) is a deal-breaker too. Empty this bag must weigh more than a pound and a half. Who needs to add that to their load?

redhookmom
11-30-2003, 08:01 PM
I agree that the lack of sholder strap is just down right whacky!! I have the bag and have another issue, it is very hard to zip the top. I cannot do it with one hand and struggle with two. It is kind of like a suitcase with to much stuff (even when it is empty.)

Jessica

alaskadiver
12-02-2003, 11:53 AM
One question for you folks who have actually SEEN this bag regarding the famous missing shoulder strap:

A. Does it come with grommets or d-rings where a shoulder strap can be attached and is just missing the strap itself?, or

B. Is there no place to attach a strap even if you want one of your own?

I must have at least 10 detachable shoulder straps around the house that are on various camera bags, gym bags, and luggage that I rarely use. So finding a shoulder strap is no problem. But I'm not motiviated to sew on d-ring attachments just to add a shoulder strap.

I agree, what could they possibly have been thinking? Our current diaper bag rides between the stroller handles hanging on the shoulder straps. If I couldn't put it there I don't know what I would do with it.

Kimberly H
12-02-2003, 04:53 PM
I returned mine so I don't have it handy but I believe the d-rings are on the same side of the bag, meaning it would hang really off-center.

I think there's a thread with just this info a little further down.

Good luck! I bought the Little Tripper and Backpack instead.