PDA

View Full Version : What's the earliest age you can start using a cart cover?

votre_ami03
11-04-2003, 02:16 PM
I was planning to buy a cart cover for DS, I figured I would need it when he was about 6 mos & sitting up. At 3 mos, he has outgrown his Snugride. I spent last w/e @ the grocery store holding him w/one arm & pushing the cart w/the other. This was not fun! He can sit up w/help, can I use a cover w/the seat belt? Or is this pushing it?

PS. I considered using the Snugride just for the store, but the straps are tight on him & there is no room to adjust. We also have a Theodore Beene, but the jury is still out on that.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

amp
11-04-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm curious about the answer to this too. Our son outgrew his snugride several wks ago (we thought about using just as a carrier, but it's one more thing to keep in the car!) We do have a front carrier that we use sometimes, but he gets pretty heavy! Mostly we carry him in our arms, use the front carrier, or one of us pushes the stroller while the other pushes the cart. I figure he'll be sitting up independently soon enough and this is just a transition period. But if a cart cover belt would hold him in...well, let's just say that would make things a heck of a lot easier!

Good question!

LisaMom2Allie
11-04-2003, 03:26 PM
I have the Buggy Bagg and used it with DD before she could sit up on her own. She would lie down in it or sit sideways propped up with the pillow. There was really no need to strap her in and I was there with her constantly. The BB is really nicely padded and comfy and it made shopping much better for us.

As she started sitting better I would put the pillow behind and around her to help support her and now since she is wanting to chew on everything I put the pillow in front of her(there is not much padding on the part that goes over the cart handle)

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

Momof3Labs
11-04-2003, 03:29 PM
Nope - he's way too young for a cart cover. He will just slide down and slump (even if you prop him up with pillows). IMO, the cart covers don't help the babies sit upright at all, they just give them a cleaner, more comfy place to sit. Colin could sit up at 7-8 months but still slumped and slid in his cart cover.

If you think about it, the strap on a cart cover is the same as the strap that is in most carts already (a waist strap). Have you tried the infant seat attachments that are on some carts? Throw a blanket over it to give him a clean surface to sit on, and at least he's comfy and safe.

votre_ami03
11-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Andrea, Glad I am not the only one! I'd think the belt may work. Maybe we would have to give them a little cushioning for extra support.

Do you have one in mind? I love the look of the Snazzy Seats & her fabrics, just not the price tag. :o

votre_ami03
11-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Thanks Lisa.

Lori, My Safeway doesn't have those. My only hope is to try the Beene again, or have Nana watch baby while I shop. :) Thanks.

Momof3Labs
11-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Or try another carrier - we have lots of favorites on the carrier board!!

votre_ami03
11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks so much Lori. I checked out the board & I am considering the KKAFP. Looks cozy, even for our mild Phoenix winter.

vikivoly
11-05-2003, 01:01 AM
I used my Buggy Bagg as soon as DD outgrew her Snugride. She was 6 months old and could sit up with support. The Buggy Bagg is very padded and with the pillow it was all she needed. I also laid her in it horizontally.