PDA

View Full Version : Like everyone else, I'm looking for the "right" diaper bag. HELP?!?

suzska
11-15-2003, 08:32 AM
I'll preface this by saying that I have a LE DIA from three years ago, and that's pretty much the bag I've been using all this time. I also have a LE Little Tripper from back then, and we use that one only to carry A diaper for after swimming lessions. I've never found it useful for anything else.

I'm looking for a bag mainly to take to Disney World in a few weeks (so I don't have much time to shop!). The Do-It-All I have isn't bad, but it's on the large side. And I tend to over-stuff it. We have a Combi Convenience stroller that's about 2 yo that we'll be taking, and the LE DIA takes up most, if not all, of the basket.

I'd like something that has pretty easy access to diaper changing supplies since we'll be "on the go" all day. DS (2.5 yo) finally is drinking through a straw, so I probably don't need to tote along the sippies this trip. YAY!

What I'd like to carry is about six size-6 diapers, a wipe case, two things of diaper cream, diaper sacks for disposal, a cloth diaper (a.k.a. pee shield), and tissues in the "diaper area." I'd also like to be able to carry a change of clothes for him, maybe our rain ponchos (you know, the $.97 ones from WalMart), and maybe a few other odds and ends, but not many, separate from the diapers. And of coarse a changing pad.

I'd really like organizer pockets (mesh or otherwise) to separate the diapers and all the stuff kept in the changing area of the bag.

I keep looking at the High Performance Backpack from One Step Ahead, but I can't bring myself to spend the $80. I'd be more comfortable spending about half that. I also wonder if it's a little large.

I've also been looking at the Deluxe Backpack from LE (with is probably just as big), but have no idea what this bag is really like. (I think LE could do a MUCH better job with pictures on their site--at least let me enlarge the thing!). Oh, I should mention that I bought a regular Collegiate Jr. backpack from LE awhile ago, thinking I could use that as a diaper bag, but it just hasn't worked out--too hard to access the contents. It's DS toybag now. So I can't tell if the Deluxe Backpack diaper bag would be just as hard to access.

http://landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,1467,1_2_474_43562_89158_67605_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=0607059098328122040

I've been looking at a few things on eBags from Safeline and Samsonite Juvenile, but it's hard to tell when they don't picture the insides of most of the bags. What I'm looking for doesn't have to be a backpack. The Clam diaper bag from Samsonite caught my eye, but I wonder if it will hold everything like I want.

http://www.ebags.com/Samsonite_Juvenile_Products/Elegance_LA_Collection_Clam_Diaper_Bag/product_detail/index.cfm?ModelID=14294&bb_id=c3642|b238&ProductList_15_Link=Details&sub_site_id=15

I was also looking at the Weekender bag from them, but have no idea what the inside is like--and I'm very picky, if you can't tell.

http://www.ebags.com/Samsonite_Juvenile_Products/Elegance_Collection_Weekender_Diaper_Bag/product_detail/index.cfm?ModelID=3110&bb_id=c3642|b238&ProductList_15_Link=Details&sub_site_id=15

Okay, I suppose I've gone on long enough. :) So if you have ANY help/suggestions/ideas that you can provide, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!!

Kimberly H
11-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Sue, I just bought the new LE diaper backpack to use as Mia's carryone when we bring her home from China. Let me know what you'd like to see and I can post pictures this weekend. We're going to be out and about but I'll do it before Sunday night!

stillplayswithbarbies
11-16-2003, 01:37 AM
If I were going to Disney, I would get the Baby Sherpa. The Right Start carries this bag, so if you have a store near you, you could see it in person.

It's a backpack, maybe about the same size as the One Step Ahead, but better organized.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

suzska
11-16-2003, 08:37 AM
My closest Right Start store isn't that close, and it's inside a Zany Brainy. Not easy to get to before the trip. :( (Of course they closed the Zany Brainy that was really close.)

Now I'm thinking the backpacks (OSA, Baby Sherpa and LE) are too big. What I really want is something that is about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of my current LE DIA, not the same size or bigger. But I don't think I'll find it in time.

But thanks for the suggestion. If I get a chance, I will check it out.

>If I were going to Disney, I would get the Baby Sherpa. The
>Right Start carries this bag, so if you have a store near you,
>you could see it in person.
>
>It's a backpack, maybe about the same size as the One Step
>Ahead, but better organized.
>
>...Karen
>Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
>Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

suzska
11-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks for offering! I'm mostly insterested in the insides of the sections, etc. Are there pockets? What are they like?

Of course when I show things to DH, now he says "I really like a bag that I can just reach into when it's on my shoulder." He didn't like the flip-down pocket on the OneStepAhead backpack when I showed him. So he starts talking about Messenger Bags. He doesn't have a problem with Brite Orange, so maybe I get the LE Messenger Bag. Anyone have pictures of the inside of that one? (Maybe that's another post.)

>Sue, I just bought the new LE diaper backpack to use as Mia's
>carryone when we bring her home from China. Let me know what
>you'd like to see and I can post pictures this weekend. We're
>going to be out and about but I'll do it before Sunday
>night!

egoldber
11-16-2003, 01:44 PM
If he wants a messenger bag, then maybe look into getting one of those. You can find lots of inexpensive messenger bags at places like Old Navy and Target. I personally also prefer a messenger style. I recently acquired a Timbuk2 bag (which is a "true" bike messenger bag) and I adore it. Its so convenient and comfrotable to wear. I wore it all over Disney last week. I now only use either my Little Tripper or the Timbuk2 bag. But the Timbuk2 bag is probably more than you want to spend for a bag just for a trip.

So what I would do is find an inexpensive messenger bag of the right size with a pocket configuration you like, and then get a small changing pad to put in it.

HTH,

suzska
11-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Beth.

I was looking at the Timbuk2 bags online, and it would probably be about $100 to get the configuration I'd want. I would think I can find something for less.

If the bag I get works, I'll probably use it for more than just this trip. I have a few things I want to look at online, and if I get to Target or somewhere soon, I'll look there, too. I've already looked at diaper bags at Target and WalMart, but I wasn't thinking "Messenger Bag" at the time.

Ugh! The stress is too much for me! Why do I do this to myself. I figure if worse comes to worse, I'll just order the LE Messenger Bag for diapers for now and throw Evan's extra clothes, etc. into the Little Tripper and carry both. Since we'll have our own stroller, I don't have a problem with throwing two bags into the basket. And I just got a "bottle bag" that can be srapped onto the handle if need be. The little lunchbag/cooler I was using with my LE DIA finally feel apart, and this bottle bag was the only thing I could find that was close.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-16-2003, 07:21 PM
look at TJ Maxx or Marshalls in the luggage section, they have some messenger bags and backpacks that might work for you.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Andrea S
11-17-2003, 09:20 AM
I have the osa backpack and le do it all and you are right the osa is much bigger than the do it all.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

suzska
11-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Okay, incase anyone is curious, I couldn't wait any longer and ordered TWO bags today! That shouldn't surprise anyone around here, right?

I went ahead and got the LE Messenger Bag. I couldn't pass up that price, even if it is Burnt Orange (DH says "It will be easy to spot!" And I think he means that in a good way). Of course it will clash with my Green/Navy Little Tripper (that was a shower gift last time, so I had no say in the color choice).

I also ordered the Safeline Kids Timberline Diaper Tote from eBags. I have been looking at this one online for months, and came across a $10 off link today at PCHPoints. I figure if nothing else, they have free returns. I just have to make sure I return it if I don't like it! The measurements are similar to my LE DIA, but I'm hoping the organization is a little better. I couldn't decide between the nylon and the microfiber, and in the end chose the nylon since it's a few ounces lighter. Figured it was a little more "manly," too.

I also ordered a bunch of maternity clothes from JCPenney this morning (with a 40% off code!), so the credit card is "smokin'" right now. Don't know if I really NEED the clothes, but I'm in a panic becaue Florida temps are in the 70s/80s lately, and most of my maternity things are "winter" or just not right for the parks.

Once I get the bags, I will try to report back. But since things will be hectic around here the next three weeks, that may get tricky. I swear my life speeds up every year once Halloween passes. Next thing I know, it will be March!