PDA

View Full Version : Questions for I'm Still Me fans re. lighter fabrics

youngnan
11-20-2003, 01:18 AM
Hi there,

After following many threads with raves about ISM, I'm pretty close to ordering one in backpack style. I'm trying to figure out which bottom fabric to choose. I really like the tailored stripe with khaki bottom, but I worry about the fabric getting dirty. Do you find the lighter bottom (or inside lining) fabric is hard to keep clean?

Do you use Scotchgard? or is it washable? or do you dry-clean?

I'm thinking about doing a custom order and using a darker bottom fabric. I've been trading emails with Mackenzie, but I'd love to hear from others with experience using these bags. Thanks!

tarheelmom
11-20-2003, 01:50 PM
I have 2 ISM backpacks, but both have dark bottoms. Both of mine also have dark interiors. I personally wouldn't get one with a light bottom color. When mine get something on them, I just dab it off with a wet towel and would use a mild soap if necessary. Mine are not machine washable. I guess if the bag was so dirty I considered it destroyed, I would put it in the washing machine and hope for the best...but wouldn't do that otherwise.

I actually just try not to put mine down on dirty floors (like at a restaurant or the mall) unless I really need to. Yes, it is going to get dirty, but I try to be careful with it! They are so pretty and nice - I would hate to get it very dirty!

Hope that helps!

Carmen

youngnan
11-23-2003, 05:50 AM
Thanks! This does help--I think I'll opt for a dark fabric bottom after all.

About the interior fabric, do you find it difficult to find things with a dark/black inner fabric? What do you think about the combination of a dark bottom/straps on the outside and a light inner fabric?

Mackenzie offered to make this combination for me, but I wonder whether it might clash, considering that some of the inner fabric seems visible from the outside because it's not a completely closed bag.

Thanks for your advice!!

tarheelmom
12-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Sorry it took me a little while to respond - I was out of town for Thanksgiving!

My interior fabric is dark, but I haven't had a problem finding things. Most of the stuff I lug in there is light - diapers, wipes container, sippy cup, etc. It opens up fairly wide, so if I'm really searching I can open it up and hunt.

You can see a little of the interior lining when it is shut, but not a lot. I don't think it would clash, provided it wasn't a stark white on the inside. BUT I would again go for a darker color on the inside. I think that with kids darker is always better, just to help cover up the inevitable stains that will appear. That's just my personal preference, though. If you really want a lighter interior, I do think it would look fine even with a darker exterior.

I'll say again that the bags are beautiful and I bet you'll be happy no matter what you choose!!

Good luck choosing!

Carmen

youngnan
12-05-2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the advice! I agree that dark colors are a safe bet.

I'm going to put this on my Christmas wish-list and hope Santa has great taste ;)

Otherwise, I'll try to order it after the holidays. Hopefully this pattern will go on sale in the meanwhile. Thanks again for your help.