PDA

View Full Version : What are some good medium sized/in-between bags?

1ontheway
11-20-2003, 12:08 PM
I still cannot seem to decide on a diaper bag. I ordered the Combi Urban Sling, but I didn't like how narrow/deep it was. Returned it. Thinking messanger style is not for me. I don't know that I want a packpak either b/c of the bottomless pit effect. Bag needs to be functional for both DH & I. Not sure how much stuff I'll carry, but a lot of bags just look like suitcases. I'm not a minimalist but not a pack everything person either. Can anyone help?

Christina
EDD 1/12/04

Momof3Labs
11-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Lands End Little Tripper? A Bubblegum bag? What is medium sized to you?

Or you can buy a tote bag (non-diaper bag) and use it as a diaper bag. Lots of people do this. Just look for pockets - especially inside the bag.

1ontheway
11-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Haven't seen a little tripper in real life but it looks kind of small. I have no idea what I want at this point. I've looked at so many my head is swimming and I'm driving DH nuts. }(

Edited to add price is a factor. I don't want to spend more than $40-50.

Christina
EDD 1/12/04

Momof3Labs
11-20-2003, 03:15 PM
If price is a factor, then why don't you use the hospital diaper bag (or a backpack or tote bag that you already own) until you know what you need in a diaper bag? Chances are pretty good that your preferences will change once baby is here!

heidi_timms
11-20-2003, 03:52 PM
I would try ebay. You can find lots of Combi and other new bags for cheaper. You really have to know what you want though because obviously, there are usually no returns:)
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

1ontheway
11-21-2003, 04:45 PM
As always, thanks all for the words of wisdom and experience. ;) Maybe I will wait until I know what I'll want to take on every day outings. Plus, I'm planning to CD so I have to consider that as well. I'm just a planner and trying to get everything I can before DD arrives.

Christina
EDD 1/12/04

MamaKath
12-06-2003, 10:32 PM
If you are planning on CDing I would wait. Besides giving you a chance to see what you actually feel comfortable carrying/need for baby, there are so many neat bags out there, you don't want to end up spending a lot on something you won't use/ doesn't meet your needs.

When I CD'ed with dd, it took a while to find a system that worked for us as far as which diapers (we ended up with prefolds and covers) and then to figure out how many you needed for what period of time, etc. We often used a backpack or the Vera Bradley Baby Bag which was larger than we anticipated needing before her, lol. With ds we used/are using disposables so we use a different type of bag for both kid's stuff.

HTH

deborah_r
12-07-2003, 03:47 PM
I second Lori's idea. I am still using my shower gift diaper bag because I just can't find the "right" bag. But you will probably know after the baby is born more of what you are looking for. And you probably won't go out much the first few weeks, so you could use a large tote-like purse if you had to go out.

I am still using a very basic Eddie Bauer backpack and it works OK, but does have the bottomless pit effect. I've seen people fit a LOT into the Little Tripper, so you might want to get that one because at some point it will probably fulfill a need for you (in the summer, when baby is a little older and you are carrying less bulky clothes)