PDA

View Full Version : yet another shopping cart cover question

sntm
11-21-2003, 05:02 PM
My mom was asking me about the clean shopper for X-mas, so I did a search and read more about ALL the types out there and now I don't know what I want!

Jack is getting too big for the Bjorn and the Bugaboo is not conducive to grocery shopping, but DH does most of the shopping so we wouldn't use it very often.

My biggest wants for this (in rough order):
Looks well-made and holds up well in the wash.
Folds down small.
Comfortable for Jack (a little padded but NOT BULKY!)
Cute fabric.

Pockets/toy loops would be nice but not necessary. Don't care as much about pillow. Would be willing to spend the $$ (well, for my mom to spend the $$) if the more expensive ones are worth it but trying to not buy bells and whistles just because they are out there, KWIM?

Opinions?

Looked at clean shopper, covers4kids, babyalacart, snazzybaby... Buggybagg looks like overkill for me (yes?)

thanks as always!!!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

nitaghei
11-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Shannon,

I have a cover from Covers4kids, and it has all the features you listed. I waffled for a long time - because the Snazzybaby just looked so much more plush, but I'm very happy with what I got. But $$$$ was an issue with me, as was dog hair clinging to cheneille - which is why I ended up going with the covers4kids. It's pretty compact, reasonable padding, and looks nice.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Momof3Labs
11-21-2003, 09:01 PM
I think that the covers4kids.com ones match your needs! That's what we have and we're very happy with it. Definitely the largest selection of fabrics out there!

LucyG
11-22-2003, 03:15 PM
We also got one from covers4kids based on reviews I read here. Ours is royal blue with dalmations (wearing fire fighter hats!) on it. It's comfy, soft, compact, and very easy to use. Oh, and it does have a toy loop. Several of my friends have purchased from there as well, and we all love ours. I highly recommend this cover.

sntm
11-22-2003, 04:48 PM
someone in one of the posts (can't remember which anymore) described it as looking very homemade and i couldn't tell if that was in a lovely-craftsmanship or slightly-shabby way. what do y'all think? am not really into homespun, country-craftsy kind of style and don't want to be disappointed in it.

i'm thinking regardless it is the most reasonable one to get, although i'm dying for the sushi print snazzybaby, purely for the pattern. am trying to convince myself this is like the space odyssey chicco mamma that i finally resisted. still, maybe i'll give mom two options...

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Momof3Labs
11-22-2003, 08:26 PM
My cover has very nice craftsmanship. It doesn't look mass produced, but it certainly isn't homespun, country-craftsy (gosh,is that what homemade stuff looks like??) style. I actually prefer the homemade (but well made) one - I feel like I am supporting a true WAHM that way!

jmofarrill
11-22-2003, 08:35 PM
I don't have a cart cover yet, and I'm in the same dilemma, Shannon. I don’t like the country-crafts look, either. I looked at all the fabric options at carts4kids, and I really don’t like them. I don’t like the fabrics for BuggyBag, either. *sigh* I only like the Snazzy fabrics b/c they suit my personality more.

I was so ready to drop $100 at Gymboree’s Whale of a Sale this weekend, but I figured that I could get a cart cover instead. Now I’m having a hard time convincing myself to buy it! I think my mind can handle buying the clothes because I would have a lot of pieces, but only one cart cover. I should just go ahead and do it; I think I’ll pick a Snazzy out tonight! Hmmm, grey silky sounds great…

LucyG
11-22-2003, 09:31 PM
I agree with Lori in that my covers4kids cover does not look mass-produced, but also doesn't look like it came from a country craft fair (no offense intended to those who like that particular style of decorating!). I think a lot of it may have to do with your fabric choice. A friend of mine got hers in a pastel plaid fabric, and it looks more "homespun," if you will, than mine does. I think the ginghams and toiles that the proprieter offers are really nice, but I am a sucker for anything with dogs on it. Thus, we have the dalmation print. I wanted something kid-friendly for DD to look at, but that's just me. We get tons of compliments on the cover.

brigmaman
11-23-2003, 05:23 PM
I bought my cart cover on ebay. It is cozy, but not bulky and it is beautifully crafted. The cover is called a "cart cozy." I don't know if she has any on ebay currently, but I have bought 3 from her. 1 for myself and 2 as gifts. I chose the fabric on all three. The woman who makes the cozies sent me swatches online. I noticed with others the fabrics were all really loud and I am very picky. The woman is a pleasure to deal with and I think with shipping the cover cost around $32. I have also machine washed mine many times.
Good Luck!
By the way, the woman's email is [email protected].

calebsmama03
11-23-2003, 07:17 PM
I have a snazzy baby cover. I have never seen the others so I can't compare how it is padding or size-wise but I'll try to give you an idea of this one. The padding is definitely comfy enough but not "puffy". There is some type of compressed type lining in it rather than batting. It folds down to about the size of a large bag of potato chips. It seems big to me, but I'd imagine that others who use batting fold even bigger. The quality is definitely first rate and the customer service there is wonderful. It has a large pocket in back for mom and several smaller ones on the side. There is no "toy loop" per se, but there is a piece of ricrac sewn on the from edge that you could attach a toy using sassy links. The fabrics are also very high quality.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

kensjen
11-23-2003, 11:48 PM
So is that what her "toy attachments" are....ric rac?? That is not what I pictured from the site, I guess I thought there was a real loop, and that maybe a sassy link was already on there. I have one on the way I believe. Can't wait to get it!

heidi_timms
11-24-2003, 01:21 AM
Just wondering about the Snazzy because I just ordered one. Do the rings stay attached to the rick rack for the toys or do they come off easily?

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

calebsmama03
11-24-2003, 11:18 PM
The ricrac is sewn on closely, so I'd assume they stay on well. We have yet to use the toy attachment so I can't speak from experience. I think you'd need at least 2 rings, though, in order for baby to reach the toy. Maybe more depending on your baby. I keep meaning to get pictures posted but with both C and I being sick for several weeks I haven't been able to get any good ones. I'll try to post a pic that shows the toy attachment.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

JustMare
11-25-2003, 12:17 AM
I just wanted to let you know the Floppy Seat is now available at Babies R Us. I've noticed more and more people with this seat due to it's cost and availability. It'll probably go with this one. Hopefully, someone will buy it off my registry :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009VE5J/ref=ba_br_o_a3//002-3400704-4425642?v=glance&s=baby&me=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&coliid=I1IU6ID6O1WRDS

bnme
11-25-2003, 08:31 AM
I have the cleanshopper and I like it a lot. It is not padded or puffy, but a soft quilted fabric. It fits great in highchairs and has toy loops and pockets. It also goes on easy. The fabric selections are not that "fashionable", but cute. I have the jungle one -I think that is what it is called. Its bright and cute without being to baby-ish looking.

I didn't start using it until DS was about 9 months old so the padding for support wasn't really an issue for us. But if your son is sitting well you should be fine.

Oh, and it washs well (no pilling or shrinking or fading yet) and folds up pretty small-not flat but its not too large. I keep it on the backseat floor of my car, and it fits OK in stroller basket if I plan on using it in a highchair when I also am using the stroller. It also fits on the larger BJs type carts.

AdoptChina
11-25-2003, 10:24 AM
I have both a clean shopper and a floppy seat. So far Ive only used the clean shopper and it has worked well. It's more minimalist but Connor seems to enjoy it. It isn't very padded, more like a thin quilt. The floppy seat is much more puffy and Im curious to see if I like that one. I'm a bit worried he may slip around in that one more due to the padding under his tushie. I'll post about it when I try it. Both were inexpensive.......Clean shopper was around $30, and I got the Floppy seat at BRU...I think I paid $40, but I didnt have any coupons at the time and should have used one on it.

houseof3boys
11-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Shannon I think you should get the sushi print Snazzy baby. Much more your speed and then you have one that can be the shopping cart cover and the restaurant highchair cover. When I think of you with your J. Lo glasses on I can only see you with the snazzy baby!!! :)

I almost got the sushi print, but got the retro mod instead. I do have a sushi print for my happy tushies changing pad though! :)

mattysmom
11-26-2003, 09:48 PM
I've also been waivering for weeks (months?) now - and am leaning toward the clean shopper. DS is now 9 months old and I'm already tired of wiping carts, etc. Did you get your clean shopper online? If so, do you remember from where? Thanks!

sntm
11-30-2003, 11:44 AM
LOL! yes, snazzy baby tastes on a clean shopper budget. Mom was confused by the covers4kids website (it's hard for me to follow and she has vision problems) so maybe I can push for the snazzy baby.

Although she argued against it because what does Jack care about sushi anyway (or the wagon print from covers4kids)? Wouldn't he rather look at zoo animals? Maybe, but I would rather look at sushi. Plus, he seemed pretty darn fascinated by sushi when we ate at Whole Foods -- kept popping off to try to grab the chopsticks.

Heck, maybe I'll just buy it for myself. Any snazzy baby coupons?

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

kensjen
11-30-2003, 01:16 PM
She doesn't do too many coupons, but right now with your seat order, you will get a free blankie. Might as well get one now, if you want to get one. :) (I did!)

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Coming from a huge sushi ADDICT!!!!
You could buy me that cover and I couldn't afford to have it...everytime I would look at it my gastric enzymes would go "sushi, sushi, sushi"...:) yummy!!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

sntm
11-30-2003, 08:01 PM
you do have "My first book of sushi" for Tristan, don't you?

http://tinyurl.com/x532

yummy and lots of fun to read aloud.

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

houseof3boys
11-30-2003, 08:09 PM
That is adorable. I put it in my cart at amazon!

I love it. :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-30-2003, 09:08 PM
OH my goodness I had never even heard of it :)
A must get...thank you for telling me about it!!!

But I gotta be honest, my worst nightmare would be him liking Sushi the way we do...heck I can't afford to feed myself my sushi addict, DWATS that I got DH to love it...and then Tristan...that would send me to the "poor house" for sure...

He already eats everything and anything I show him, so honest to god a sushi addiction would kill me!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties