PDA

View Full Version : What's a "quick trip" (in reference to diaper bags)??

Judegirl
11-24-2003, 02:17 AM
Some bags (like the LE LT) are billed as perfect for "quick trips." they hold about 4 diapers, from what I understand. But as a first-time mom, I have NO idea how long 4 diapers will last me! *laugh*

Where I live, a "quick trip" is 15 minutes. Gosh, will I REALLY need a diaper bag for 15 minutes?? (And in any case, I can't imagine needing 4....!)

45 minutes? 2 hours? Please help - I don't know what size to look for. Most of our trips will take us out of the house for about 3-4 hours. Anything longer and I'd be packing an overnight bag anyway...so how many diapers am I looking to hold for a 4 hour day?

Thanks to all who know FAR more than I do! :)

Jude

LucyG
11-24-2003, 07:17 AM
I think we probably tempt fate way too much, but we usually just take 3 or 4 diapers for a four hour day. A "quick trip," to me, is like to church for a couple of hours, or to the grocery. One way to avoid lugging a huge bag stuffed with diapers is to just keep extra diapers in your trunk. That way, you'll always have some in an emergency.

momma_boo
11-24-2003, 11:47 AM
I think the age of the baby determines how many diapers you will need. My friend whose DS is 2 months old changed his diaper 5 times while they were over for about 2.5 hours. In contrast, during the same period of time, I changed DD's diaper only once!

I have to second the suggestion to keep some diapers in the car (we use the free diaper bag from the formula company that we got at the hospital to hold some diapers, wipes, ointment). It's helped when I either ran out of diapers or totally forgot to bring the diaper bag with me when going on a quick errand!

daisymommy
11-24-2003, 07:58 PM
I use the Little Tripper if I'm going to be gone for 1 hour or less. Like going to the grocery store for a handful of items, the post office, etc. When you'll need some baby stuff just in case (so I don't just use a purse), but not alot of stuff. There has never been a time when I was out for an hour or less that I needed a diaper, but I have always needed a snack or toy to keep DS from fussing. Also, burp cloths are a MUST. I'd say in a LT put 2 diapers, and keep some extra in your car for back ups.

For bigger bags, I use them when I'm out for several hours at the mall, running errands, at a friends house, etc. I'd keep 4 diapers in your bag for those times.

I have a tote bag in my car with:
6 diapers
extra wipes pack
used to have some Similac Singles of formula, a bottle of water, and a clean bottle in a ziplock when DS was small. Now it's some Gerber individual juice bottles and a sippy cup
Snacks for DS in sealed containers
Lightweight jacket
handiwipes
Couple of toys
Small blanket (could be used for a changing pad if need be).

Every once in awhile I run out of stuff in my diaper bag, and I have somehow actually forgotten the diaper twice! and these back up supplies came in very handy.

When I have more time, I'll post a list of what's in my Quick Trip bag, versus my longer-day bag.

Judegirl
11-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Thank you - that's helpful. The idea of buying TWO new bags drives me nuts; I would think I already have something I could use. This helps gauge whether I need to buy a large or a small one.

Either way, I'll defintely be keeping a spare tote in the trunk!

Thanks,
Jude