PDA

View Full Version : my daughter turned one,yikes! she expects entertainment i need a new diaper bag .HELP1

elainesmommy
12-19-2003, 06:04 AM
ok girls here's the skinney. i need help with two things actually. My daughter turned 1 in november (we got through the first year whoo hoo). I in my naivate thought the bag would get smaller. that she would need less. ok i know, i know go ahead and laugh. we now carry on any given outing the following. diapers,wipes, sippy cup, snacks,change of clothes,books,dirty duds bag, antibacterial wipes,blanket,her coat,the sling,wallet,car keys,sunglasses,lipstick,rash cream and assorted coupons. The clothes only get bigger.oh- i forgot regular toys and to mention that it's and avent sippy cup with handles which we all know isn't exactly small.Now i don't expect miracles. But i'd like to find a new bag that will hold all this stuff and not feel like i'm carrying luggage or take up half the cart at target. i'd also like it to not cost a small fortune. i was ready to sing halleluiah at the "new and improved"do it all diaper bag by lands end. especially with the blue interior so as to end black hole syndrome.but whoever designed it failed to include a shoulder strap.my dreams for the possibly perfect bag ended there.so any help would be great.the second thing i'm wondering about is these cart covers everyone keeps talking about normally i wouldn't buy one but it's cold and flu season and we chose not to get our daughter a flue shot so i'm thinking this would be a good thing to invest in. but the 50 dollar price tag of the snazzy baby cover has me balking. i thought i'd try my hand at making one.i'm wondering if the snazzy is a big circle of fabric with elastic and holes for the legs. That's what i'm gathering from looking at the pictures. if someone could let me know if i'm on the right track i'd appreciate it. thanks so much

Jen.
mom to elaine 13 months and 2cats

hwin708
12-21-2003, 12:11 AM
I can't really help much in the diaper bag department. I have a bubblegum bag, which I adore, but it sounds as though you want something even bigger. For me, the bubblegum bag has more than enough room, and I love the organization of all the pockets.
As for the cart covers, have you looked at covers4kids or on ebay. Those are significantly cheaper than the snazzy baby.
It's not really just a circle of fabric, because these covers are cushy. I can't really sew, so it sounds very difficult to me, but if you have those skills, give it a try.
Here's a link where someone sewed their own (with no batting, so no cushiness):
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=14&topic_id=16294&mode=full

Good luck!

daisymommy
12-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Try out the Classic Do-It-All diaper bag by Lands End, or my favorite, an Eddie Bauer diper bag that you can get at Target or BRU. Its just like a Do-It-All, except it has sippy cup pockets on teh sides (big enough for an Avent SippyCup). Just remove the handles, then put them on when you get to where you are going. I think this bag is more sturdy, and slightly smaller than the Lands End bag, but still big enough to fit all my sons stuff (and my junk too!).
As far as a cart cover goes, I have the Floppy Seat which can be purchased at BRU (Babies-R-Us) for $40. I got mine brand new on Ebay for $29. Sure, not as cute as a Snazzy Baby (its a bright jungle print), but oh well! Second to my diaper bag, its my most used peice of baby eqipment! I literally use it every day. I can hold Josh in one hand and put it on the cart with the other hand. It is similar to a large circle with leg holes, elastic to fit over the cart, and an attached seat belt so you don't have to use the yucky ones on the cart.
For less than $10 you can buy a nice pattern for a cart cover called a Cootie Cover, on Ebay. I haven't made one yet, but it looks very easy, and like a nice gift for someone (or yourself!)