PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Timbuk2 bag...what would you do???

nohomama
12-28-2003, 11:25 PM
I received a $100 gift certificate to Timbuk2 for the holidays (yippee!!!) and I'm wavering on what exactly I want to order. Here are the two options I've narrowed it down to:

Graphic messanger bag (comes in ballistic fabric)
M size - El Ocho
Aloha Hawaiian print
Tea Green side panels
Strap pouch
$120

Classic messanger bag
M size - El Ocho
Ballistic fabric
Black, silver, black color combo
Center divider
Logo in silver
iPod/PDA case
$105

If your having trouble visualizing what I'm describing you can go to www.timbuk2.com. Click on the link for custom bags and you can build each of these bags to see what they'll look like.

The Graphic bag is what I originally thought I wanted and is appealing for it's funk factor. The fact that it's unique is also a plus. I see Timbuk2 bags all the time and have never seen this one.

The Classic bag is more of a "plane Jane" but the color combo will go with just about anything. The ability to add a center panel also means the bag is more compartmentalized (rather than just a vast expance of bag) and therefore will be easier to organize.

Lola's Papa and I will both likely be using this bag. Dan has said he'd have no problem carrying the Graphic bag with the Aloha print (I love my man!) so that isn't an issue.

What would you choose?

houseof3boys
12-28-2003, 11:47 PM
I like the Classic with the black/silver. I think it is still cool looking and I don't think you need help with the funk factor! :P

I'm jealous!!!

yellowdogmom
12-30-2003, 09:41 AM
I'd go for bag #2 mostly based on the center divider (and the color combo will truly "go" with anything). My DH carries a Timbuk2 El Ocho every day to work and while he loves it he wishes he had a divider instead of just the big expanse of space. In fact, he's trying to talk me in to getting another El Ocho for him as a work bag then using the current one he has for a diaper bag. These things wear like iron and his is 3 or 4 years old and still looks like the day we bought it...which might be another reason to go more "plain Jane"...you'll have it forever and I know for myself I get sick of prints way faster than I do basic solids. BTW, DH's is all black ballistic and we have a yellow lab - her hair brushes right off. :)

Have fun choosing!

chrissyhowie
12-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Ooooooooh! What a great gift! I have been drooling over these bags for a long time!

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either! If you are in love with the Graphic bag (those graphic panels are very cool), then get it. But the center divider is what draws me to the Classic bag. It's a shame they don't yet offer the Graphic with more options -- maybe email or call them and see if that's in the works?

Okay...now I've gone and built myself a bag and emailed it to DH. You never know, he could be enticed!

And I just noticed -- BIG congrats on #2 due in August!!

Calmegja2
12-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Great gift.....you'll have fun with it.

DH carries an El Ocho in maize and blue (I know, I know). I had a center pocket put in it, and it's great.

I've been thinking of getting one for myself, because it's just a great bag. I love the black and silver you showed...

Congrats on #2!