PDA

View Full Version : Ella Bags Design Questions

blnony
01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Okay--the other thread is getting soooo long!!
So, I thought I would get some feedback on my design choice.

Here's what I think I'm getting:

The Elaine Tote.

Most of the Body in Fashion Girls - Black Pastel
Either Ribbon trim or custom Band in Hot pink
Bottom of Tote - Black solid Twill
I'm adding the extra pockets, key loop and maybe paci pocket. And probably the changing pad.
I'll probably go with the tie closure (I have button on one already, zipper and tie and out of all of them, I like the tie) and if you like Zipper - get a larger bag because if you zip it, it takes away a lot of room. I learned this the hard way! ;)
Now here is the question...for the inside: Solid Black or Hot Pink?
And for the straps - Solid Black or Hot pink inside/black outside?

Added: I think I'll get the hot pink tie to match the trim.

Momof3Labs
01-05-2004, 06:39 PM
I'd go with hot pink inside, over black. It is so hard to find things inside a black bag!

I'm still torn on fabric - there just aren't as many cute fabrics for a boy/gender neutral (I'm not much of a retro girl)! But the rocket babies is calling my name!!

cchavez
01-05-2004, 06:52 PM
hot pink inside and black straps outside....

houseof3boys
01-05-2004, 09:41 PM
Hot pink inside is fun. I think straps should be black.

Your bag sounds purdy!!!! :)

blnony
01-06-2004, 12:35 AM
After more thought...I realized the design I liked would clash terribly with my stroller...so...I'm starting over.
Any suggestions? I have a red/silver P3 and black/silver Mac Techno?
I'm thinking I need something with red; or more black? I'd like something different though.....

bluej
01-06-2004, 12:54 AM
I'm so glad you mentioned matching your diaper bag to your stroller! I thought maybe I was the only one who was this anal!

ginamlee
01-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Okay, now I'm ready for input:

I'm going for the Lily size. (This is about the size of an XL ISM bag.)

I like a fairly classic look for a bag. But, since it will be for spring and summer, I want lighter colors.

I like Cabana Stripe Ocean and Roman Glass Stone. When I paste the swatches side by side in MS Word the colors appear to coordinate beautifully.

http://www.thecottonshop.net/fabricshop/images/Kaffe04.JPG

http://resize.inkfrog.com/thumbn/ellabags/100_0251.JPG

I'm having a difficult time deciding which I want to be the body of the bag and which I want to be the bottom. Any opinions on this? I'd also like input on whether I should have the Cabana Stripe Ocean going horizontally or vertically.

I'd like to have the prints seperated by a tan Custom Band and also have a tan inside. Should I also do a tan strap? I see she also has 2 sided straps, so maybe I'll to tan on one side and Roman Glass Stone on the other...?

Options I'm going for:
button loop closure
additional pockets
key loop
changing pad with vinyl
ditty bag
paci pouch

Can't wait to hear you gals' opinions on this. I'm not the best visualizer!

liya
01-06-2004, 02:02 AM
Im still trying to match them with the stroller...LOL Depends on what color of kiwi we get. If we get a navy one then the choice will be somewhat easier but still hard as i think im getting a cookie Zippy...LOL

Melanie
01-06-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm so glad you posted that, I didn't realize there was one bigger than the elaine! I'm having trouble navigating her site, as is obvious by all my redundant questions. LOL.

Now I know I want one so I'm going to have to look at those options again. I'll want
-extra pockets
-button & loop closure (long enough to close when bag is full and not just empty)
-key loop sounds cool...maybe
-changing pad

What do you think about this for the top:
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/ellabags/EB039.jpg

and this for the bottom:
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/ellabags/EB004.jpg

Do you think that's "too much?" I think they lend themselves to spring and summer, but I'm pretty design-challenged. What do you think?

or the Roman Glass Stone with...

??

Melanie
01-06-2004, 02:33 AM
I think pink inside is better...easier to find things.

ginamlee
01-06-2004, 02:34 AM
The 2 dragon fly prints would look cute together -- maybe with a red ribbon seperating the prints?

I updated my message to show swatches of the Roman Glass Stone with the Cabana Stripe Ocean. What do you think?

Melanie
01-06-2004, 02:39 AM
I think I'd ask her to make sure...the stripe photo looks a little dark, so is it the colors or the photos...KWIM?
edited to add...b/c I think it looks like the stripes on the right are a teal color and there's no teal in the roman glass, right?

Great idea with the red ribbon between...

ginamlee
01-06-2004, 02:55 AM
LOL!

I have a Peg bag that I keep hooked to my Peg Atlantico. Like my ISM, this Ella diaper bag looks more like a purse, and I usually end up using both bags when using the stroller. (Because when I use the stroller, I'm often shopping. So, I fill the Peg bag with "stuff".) Thus, I still feel "matchy" when pushing the stroller. (Additionally, babe is more and more often in a sling rather than a stroller...)

I like my diaper bag to match my shoes and clothing. The ladders abstract print from ISM is SOOOO perfect for my fall and winter wardrobe! It has black, brown, burgundy, tan. I always feel like I am matching because I wear those colors so much.

When looking at the Ella site, I looked for colors that are often included in my spring and summer wardrobe. Khaki is my mainstay, so I found prints that included that color and will highlight that color in the stripe, straps, and interior.

Anyway, that's how I'm doing it...

momtoemma
01-06-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking of getting either the roman glass (not sure which coordinating colors) in stone or the fashion frogs with a pink gingham lining. I also think the heartland ollie and me farm print fabric is just darling, but a I already have a tote bag in an old macdonald theme so I will probably pass on this one. Not sure why but the frogs are calling my name. I have no idea which options I will add yet.

Thanks,

papal
01-06-2004, 11:28 AM
heehee... me too! looking for something to match my red mbus AND be gender neutral.

blnony
01-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Okay. I think I've come with my second choice.
I emailed ella bags to get her opinion on coordinating fabrics, but here is my idea:
Springtime in Paris - Cream Print for majority of the bag, either red ribbon or red custom band then black twill bottom. Red interior with red tie closure and either red or black straps.
What do you all think?

liya
01-06-2004, 12:22 PM
I wish she had cord though....I have a picture of those fabrics with cord for some reason...LOL im such a dork....(secretely hoping she has the faux buck skin..)....:)

Momof3Labs
01-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I also think that the heartland ollie and me print is adorable, but we're probably in the minority on this one!

toomanystrollers
01-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm with you Lori - I like your selection and then "Little Rascals" or maybe the sage toile - I'm not a retro mama :)

houseof3boys
01-06-2004, 04:58 PM
That sounds really nice Brianna. I'd be interested to hear what Aimee says. There are way too many choices!!!

blnony
01-06-2004, 05:15 PM
I've emailed with her today. She said they were out of the office b/c of illness today; but she'll be able to take the orders by phone starting tomorrow.
She recommended going with a hot pink ribbon or trim for the Paris Cream print and a black bottom. I'm still undecided. ;) (Of course....) I'll probably end up getting something boring! I have a tendency to let practical win out many times.

houseof3boys
01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
It won't be boring!! I think it sounds fun, I like that Paris print too. So, hot pink ribbon and hot pink interior?

Momof3Labs
01-06-2004, 06:23 PM
So get one boring one and one fun one - at this price, how can you resist??

I'm planning to get one for Colin, one for me, and maybe one for my mom (she's a knitter and also a tote bag nut)!

Melanie
01-06-2004, 06:59 PM
LOL. I emailed her to ask if she could help the design-challenged if I can come up with one or two main fabrics and she said they have "design consultants ready to help" me. Once they're back from being sick.

Now I need to narrow it down.