PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting more than one Ella bag?

blnony
01-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Okay...even though I placed my order, Aimee said we could order multiples if we want. I am seriously thinking about getting a second one. Maybe a real casual ie denium design?
Am I nuts? Do I just have bag fever? :D

khakismom
01-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Brianna, I am getting 2 backpacks. My wardrobe in the spring/summer is either very colorful with pastels or bright colors, or my traditional colors--khaki, black, white, with some red thrown in sometimes. So I am getting 2 very different bags to go with my 2 "looks".

Isn't that so pitiful that I only have 2 looks? :)

So tell us about your bag? What fabrics didya get? :) I think I will be ordering tomorrow.

mharling
01-08-2004, 06:21 PM
I can't even decide on one, let alone two!! But, I do not think you're nuts and you should go for it. For this price, have fun!

http://www.auction-pix.com/katasha/stuff/snowman.gif Mary & Lane 4/6/03

blnony
01-08-2004, 06:48 PM
For my first bag I went with the Elaine Tote and The Springtime in Paris Cream Print for the top, a hot pink custom band and a black twill bottom. The inside is hot pink and the tie closure is hot pink as well as the inside of the straps and the outside of the straps are the Paris print.
I really think it's going to turn out nicely; but I'm thinking I might want a really casual tote too.
I'm thinking one of the cabana stripe patterns with denium, but I'm not sure if I should get another bag. But I only paid $44 for the first one and thats awesome for a customized bag.

Momof3Labs
01-08-2004, 06:49 PM
I want two, if I ever hear back from Aimee! I'm getting the Rocket Rascals as a diaper bag, with some accessories, and want a second in the Caroline style to use as a purse/smaller bag for myself. I think that I want the Springtime in Paris print but don't know if it is too big a print for this bag, plus I don't know what coordinates with it that isn't pink (I'm not a pink person).

I called her yesterday afternoon and left a message, and e-mailed her last night. Nothing yet, hopefully I'll hear something tonight!

blnony
01-08-2004, 06:59 PM
She recommended a green or blue if I didn't want to go with pink. She said there were so many colors that could coordinate.
I know he son was sick too; so maybe thats keeping her from getting in touch. Maybe try another email?

Momof3Labs
01-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Ah, maybe that's it - she's tied up with a sick kiddo.

I didn't see a lot of choices in green or blue that seemed to match, but maybe soft spot - pastel? Or one of the cabana stripes? I was planning to go with a medium denim bottom, so this would be the interior.

http://www.thecottonshop.net/fabricshop/images/miller88.JPG

http://www.thecottonshop.net/fabricshop/images/ahenry59.JPG

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/ellabags/100_0252.jpg

blnony
01-08-2004, 07:19 PM
She can get just about any solid color you want. So even if its not up on the site, I bet she can match a color for you.

Melanie
01-08-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm tempted to get a back pack as well, now I feel better about my temptations. LOL.

momtoemma
01-09-2004, 12:04 AM
I can't make up my mind between the black and white toile and the black/white central park! At first I thought I would get the Caroline bag in the black/white toile with red trim and red inside (there's one like this on the site), but tonight I was browsing the backpacks and came across one done in the central park pattern. I love them both, but they are certainly too similar to buy both! Help me make up my mind please!

Thanks!

sweetbasil
01-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Stephanie,
Hey there! I never did tell you that after the Halo SleepSack introduction we had, that DH pulled out an old yearbook and found your pic--- that's so fun. What a small world. He thought it was crazy that we "ran into each other" here, but not surprising. He remembered you as being really smart, and he thinks that "no girl of average intelligence could just happen onto a place like this, just the smart ones do"-- which I took to be a compliment to both of us ;) You'll have to remind me whether I sent you a link to our family website- so you can see what DH looks like as a thirty-something year old. ha.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand- I really like the Central Park toile a lot. Something about having sweet little babies playing in the fabric I just think is precious. I don't know if that's any help, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Good luck picking- you can't go wrong either way! :)

heidi_timms
01-09-2004, 02:01 AM
I like the Central Park toile as well. The children playing make it the perfect diaper bag. My friend got me a pink toile one for my shower but it's huge so we use it as her overnight bag. You could fit a weeks worth of clothes in there for her!
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Melanie
01-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Can someone explain to me what makes something "toile?"

I like the central park one, too, btw. I really like the Nursery Rhyme one as well.

sweetbasil
01-09-2004, 06:20 AM
I just did a search on this a few weeks ago--- I knew the little scene-type fabrics were toiles, but didn't know what the actual definition of toile was.

From HGTV.com, "All About Toile," by Chris Casson Madden:

"Pronounced 'twall,' this fabric has enjoyed increasing popularity since its invention in the early-18th century when cotton-and-linen fabric was first printed using engraved copper plates depicting domestic scenes, exotic locales, historic incidents and fantastical botanicals.

Toiles were originally printed in a single color because the copper-engraved plates could only be covered with a single mordant or dye-fixative. The complex story-telling engravings did not lend themselves to a repeat stamping and application of color. But it didn't matter. The colors themselves were rich and vibrant, the patterns sharply etched and detailed.

The fabric became the rage.

The finest examples of it were made in the late-18th century at a factory in Jouy-en-Josas, France. Ultimately, the style of fabric itself began to be called "toile-de-Jouy," after the French factory town. Later, multi-colored toiles were created by adding color with wood blocks after the engravings were pressed, but the ones I prefer are the more traditional, single-colored toiles--chocolate brown, cherry red, amethyst or indigo on a white or creamy background.

The popularity of toile has had its peaks and valleys over several centuries but right now it is on a definite high. It seems toiles are appearing everywhere, not just on the usual table and bed linens, wall coverings and window treatments. Now you can find toile on lampshades, tissue boxes, bulletin boards, and wastebaskets. Furniture makers are hand-painting or decoupaging toile designs on dresser fronts, armoires, headboards, high chairs and on table tops. Apparel fashion has also gotten into the act with toile slacks, blouses, handbags and pajamas.

What I love about toile is also what I love about books, the fabric tells a story. The ones that I find most exciting and interesting are the historic toiles, the ones that depict actual events or commemorate, much like a monument would do, history's heroes and legends. I've seen toiles honoring the American founding fathers, decisive battles in the French and American revolutionary wars, or, from more modern times, toiles printed with scenes from the first balloon and airplane flights, or commemorating Charles Lindbergh's crossing of the Atlantic...."

Goes on to explain great ways to decorate with toile, but I figured this was probably sufficient for a definition/explanation ;)

cchavez
01-09-2004, 09:41 AM
FYI, I just got a the black Central Park toile which is actually black and cream. The other toile is black and white. I went w/ the black and white gingham inside but I was worried that the cream and white would look odd but Aimee assured me that is worked really well. Since this is a diaper bag, I like the central park over the traditional toile. I just had two toile bags made as Christmas gift for the Grandmothers and it lends itself better to a purse IMO.

Finally, if you look at the Elaine diaper bag in traditional toile VS. a bag in the black CP toile you will notice the cream looks better again...this is my opinion. Check out the Uptown Girl Anna and you might be able to see the difference. hth

Edited to add: Aimee also told me the ostrich trim does not hold up to everyday use. I have always wanted to get a bag w/ ostrich trim but since this will be my primary bag for the Spring I chose gingham ribbon....hope this helps someone.

cinrein
01-09-2004, 11:36 AM
I am so glad you posted this because I can't decide between 2 different styles of bags either. DH will seriously think I've lost my mind if I order 2 bags. Last night I thought I decided, but now today I'm torn again! ARGH!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Melanie
01-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks Julie!

missliss55
01-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I am also going to get a bag with the Central Park toile. I think it is so cute. Now that I finally picked the fabric and I need to figure out what bag I am going to get. Can't decided between the Elaine and the Lily. I worry that the Lily will be too big. This will be my every day bag.

Which closure id you get? I can't decide between the snap or the button loop. Also do you know if it is necessary to get the added stiffness? Thanks!

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

missliss55
01-09-2004, 03:23 PM
I too was thinking about getting a casual denim design. What fabric were looking to pair with it. I was thinking maybe something with red.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

Momof3Labs
01-09-2004, 03:44 PM
A snap will take up more space - your bag can't be packed as full with a snap closure. With a button closure, you can be packed a bit fuller.