PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Ella and ISM bags???

jmcknight
01-16-2004, 12:07 PM
I have narrowed it down to an Ella diaper bag or I'm Still Me. I can't really tell much difference between the style of the 2 aside from fabric choices. Are there any...pros...cons? Also I've read about a group discount on Ella bags - does anyone know how much of a discount is given and how many bags need to be purchased at one time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

houseof3boys
01-16-2004, 12:55 PM
None of us have an Ella bag but we were able to obtain a group discount. Ella bags are completely customizable and that was the big draw for all of us. There are several people that LOVE their ISM bags so you can do a search and read up on those.

There will be another group discount for Ella tba when she catches up with all the 30+ orders that we gave her from these boards. You only need to order one bag and yes the discount was great.

I am sure that the reviews of the Ella bag will be all over these boards in 2 weeks when someone receives the "first" bag but the bags should be very similarly made.

cchavez
01-16-2004, 02:41 PM
A few weeks ago Maureen mentioned that her neighbor had an ella bag and loved it. Other than that, you will have to wait until we start getting our orders in. :)

JennyA
01-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Finally I saw an ella in person - after all this chat about them i actually asked someone at the mall where they got their bag- and it was an ella!!! It was the Lily style that is a tad taller than the large ISM I carry, but smaller than the xl/backpack. It was a cute cotton print and looked nicely made. I didn't go snooping inside to see the pockets though, so don't know if they are as good as the ISM. One thing that is definitely better on the ISM bags is the closure - the ella ribbon was looking pretty funky! I also think the webbing straps are alot more practical than the fabric ones.
HTH
jenny
PS>>>Isn't diaper bag addiction fun!!!!

houseof3boys
01-16-2004, 04:41 PM
You do have different closure options on the Ella so the ribbon is certainly not the only one.

I'm glad you saw one in person and thanks for the sizing perspective. :)

JennyA
01-16-2004, 05:02 PM
What other closures does ella offer? The one other thing is that the ISM seems to be made of heavier fabric - especially on the bottom, (though I thought the print on the ella was cute, the fabric didn't seem to be very substantial). Anyway, it will be fun to see what everyone thinks when theirs arrive. I love using a tote style and everyone has their own way of using them - something for everyone. jenny

cinrein
01-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm a total newbie to this custom diaper bag addiction, so pardon my question. What are webbing straps vs fabric?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

cchavez
01-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Ella has button/loop, snap, ribbon and zipper (i think) closures.

JennyA
01-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Webbing is the heavy woven cotton strap material - the kind ll bean uses on boat bags, as opposed to straps made from fabric. The straps on the ISM xl tote/backpack are also adjustable. HTH jenny

Momof3Labs
01-16-2004, 06:16 PM
It may be that the person chose a lighter weight fabric for the bottom of their Ella bag. I'm not sure if you can easily compare that factor because every Ella bag will be a little different.

blnony
01-16-2004, 06:28 PM
I've got an ISM and Ella on order. I really like my ISM bag, but I'm looking forward to the elastic pockets on the inside of my Ella. I have the Buffalo Plaid ISM, and the webbing in nice, but thick. I got a tear away snap on the straps of the Ella so when they are on my shoulder, they stay together. The ISM doesn't have that. Both are interfaced, so they will stand on their own. That will help make the fabric of the Ella more substantial. But for the cost factor alone, I'm eager to see the Ella and see the differences, because the Ella is so much more affordable.
The Ella bags started at $30, $40 and $45 before customization which is a really great deal with the discount. Since we went in together we just had to have 5 bag orders, but it ended up being over 30! :)
Style wise, I think they are similar, just size and the backpack option are the main differences I think.

missliss55
01-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the comparison. I am trying so hard to decide between an Ella and an ISM. The Ella is so much for afordable than the ISM, but I like the fabrics of the ISM better. Ahhh...the choices.

Do you feel like the large ISM works well for you. I am also trying to decide on size as well.

Thanks!

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

cvharris
01-16-2004, 06:54 PM
As others have mentioned, one big difference the Ella has over the ISM is price. It was half the cost for me with the same features, especially with the free shipping she's offering now.

I currently use an ISM and have an Ella on order through the group, as well, so I will be able to do a quality comparison when I get the Ella. My ISM is the regular large size and the Ella I ordered is the Lily, which will be slightly larger. I expect the features to be mostly the same.

My ISM is older, ordered a while back in a Shagri-La toile fabric which I love, and I don't have the heavier straps, mine are just made of fabric like the Ella ones will be. The webbing must be a newer thing. I LOVE my ISM bag, I never thought I'd be the type to like totes, but in most cases I prefer them over other conventional diaper bags, and I've tried all the Lands End ones and I have an Eddie Bauer backpack. The totes are just easier to grab things from.

ginamlee
01-16-2004, 07:16 PM
If you want to try out an ISM before paying the price for a new one, let me know if you would be interested in a convertible backpack/tote. It was used for about 2 months and is in excellent condition; I'm just not a backpack person. I have some accessories, too. email for more info [email protected]

jayhjay
01-17-2004, 11:59 AM
I missed the group sale (new baby and haven't been on teh boards for a while), but I have been shopping Ella bags for my b-day. Anyone know how soon the next group discount will be? Trying to decide if I have the patience to wait! ;-)

parkersmama
01-19-2004, 11:11 PM
I'm interested, too! When is the next group order??