PDA

View Full Version : What diaper bag provides easy access WHILE holding a 1yr old?

csa12
01-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Hi ladies!
Is ISM for me? Or is the Ella better? I am retiring my backpack and am looking for a bag that I can get in/out of easily while holding a baby. I am thinking a messenger bag but like the styles of the ISM/Ella bags. Are the straps long enough for you to easily access the interior? I also want a bag that doesn't bonk DS on the head when I lean forward to pick him up to carry.

thanks so much for any feedback!
Cheryl

csa12
01-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Hi ladies!
Is ISM for me? Or is the Ella better? I am retiring my backpack and am looking for a bag that I can get in/out of easily while holding a baby. I am thinking a messenger bag but like the styles of the ISM/Ella bags. Are the straps long enough for you to easily access the interior? I also want a bag that doesn't bonk DS on the head when I lean forward to pick him up to carry.

thanks so much for any feedback!
Cheryl

Momof3Labs
01-18-2004, 10:09 PM
I would skip a messenger bag - you have to lift the huge flap and hold it open while digging in the bag, so it doesn't seem very practical to be doing one-handed. I'd think maybe a tote bag with a tie, button or magnetic snap closure? But I'm not sure I picture what you want when you mention bonking DS on the head - are you holding him when this happens? If you are talking about when he is on the ground or in the stroller, I like bags with longer handles for this reason - I can throw them on my back when I lean over and they won't flop down.

Momof3Labs
01-18-2004, 10:09 PM
I would skip a messenger bag - you have to lift the huge flap and hold it open while digging in the bag, so it doesn't seem very practical to be doing one-handed. I'd think maybe a tote bag with a tie, button or magnetic snap closure? But I'm not sure I picture what you want when you mention bonking DS on the head - are you holding him when this happens? If you are talking about when he is on the ground or in the stroller, I like bags with longer handles for this reason - I can throw them on my back when I lean over and they won't flop down.

csa12
01-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi Lori!

I wish I met you when you visited Neve here in NC because you are always so kind enough to answer all my posts. I kind of feel like I know you already!! You are right, I am thinking the tote with long enough strap/handles would be the answer. It looks like easy one hadn access and I can throw the bag behind me, like you mentioned, when picking DS up. I wonder if you can request longer handles with the ISM or Ella bag? Sorry about the confusion, I edite my post to better clairfy what I meant. I don't know how many times I've bonked Liam in the head while putting him in the car seat or picking him up!! Poor thing . . .

Thanks again for the feedback Lori!
Cheryl

csa12
01-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Hi Lori!

I wish I met you when you visited Neve here in NC because you are always so kind enough to answer all my posts. I kind of feel like I know you already!! You are right, I am thinking the tote with long enough strap/handles would be the answer. It looks like easy one hadn access and I can throw the bag behind me, like you mentioned, when picking DS up. I wonder if you can request longer handles with the ISM or Ella bag? Sorry about the confusion, I edite my post to better clairfy what I meant. I don't know how many times I've bonked Liam in the head while putting him in the car seat or picking him up!! Poor thing . . .

Thanks again for the feedback Lori!
Cheryl

Momof3Labs
01-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Cheryl,

I just have to find another reason for a trip to NC, LOL! I met a few wonderful people but missed way too many other people, including you!

When I ordered my Ella bag, she gave me the option of 28" long straps, and that might do the trick for you. I am 5'4" and have a bag with 26" straps that I can throw onto my back when leaning over, as long as it isn't too overpacked.

For the price on the Ella bag, you might want to give that a shot. If it doesn't work as a diaper bag, you can always use it as a tote bag, for library books, whatever. Did you get your name on Debbi's list by chance?

Momof3Labs
01-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Cheryl,

I just have to find another reason for a trip to NC, LOL! I met a few wonderful people but missed way too many other people, including you!

When I ordered my Ella bag, she gave me the option of 28" long straps, and that might do the trick for you. I am 5'4" and have a bag with 26" straps that I can throw onto my back when leaning over, as long as it isn't too overpacked.

For the price on the Ella bag, you might want to give that a shot. If it doesn't work as a diaper bag, you can always use it as a tote bag, for library books, whatever. Did you get your name on Debbi's list by chance?

csa12
01-18-2004, 10:38 PM
If it's the list for the discount, then no I didn't. Is she not offering it anymore? I may go ahead and place an order. But then again I could also ask Mackenzie about her straps? Hmmm . . .

csa12
01-18-2004, 10:38 PM
If it's the list for the discount, then no I didn't. Is she not offering it anymore? I may go ahead and place an order. But then again I could also ask Mackenzie about her straps? Hmmm . . .

Momof3Labs
01-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Cheryl, the list for the Ella discount is closed for now, but they plan to offer it again in a few months. It is a good deal - about $25 off of each bag (give or take). If you want something, LMK and I can order it for you - it'll go on my credit card and get shipped here, but it will only cost a few more dollars to send it your way. Or maybe someone closer to you is on the list??

Her site is www.ella-bags.com.

csa12
01-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks Lori, but I may wait until they offer the deal again. I am taking this as a sign that I should tighten the reigns on the wallet (while this community's collective buying power is great--it's also dangerous for shopping addicts like myself!!)

Thanks for the offer though!

jjj
01-19-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm Still ME will make your straps shorter or longer - just email Mackenzie. I had mine made a bit shorter and a friend had hers done longer so she could hang it on the back of her stroller. Also the backpack/tote has adjustable straps. HTH jj

csa12
01-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks! I may try the ISM then!! :)

egoldber
01-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Well, I actually prefer a messenger bag for use when carrying a babe. I have not found it to be that much trouble accessing the bag when on my shoulder and I like the fact that it is much more secure than a bag with straps.

HTH,

Judegirl
01-21-2004, 12:04 AM
I don't have the 1-year old to test it yet, but I bought a Kapoochi bag and it has a diaper "dispenser" that you can reach from either the front OR the back of the bag. I think it's brilliant. On the one I have, the front of the bag unzips and turns into a changing station, but all of them have he diaper dispenser system.

I got mine on ebay, but I found them on the web by doing a search for Kapoochi on the web.

Good luck!

Jude