PDA

View Full Version : DH doesn't like our Combi US

jec2
01-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Uh Oh, I need a new diaper bag. DH has grown increasingly frustrated with the US becuase he can never find anything in it or get to anything in it. We both think the bag isn't that intuitive as we keep lifting the flap to access the main pocket but, ha ha, the main pocket isn't there! And, lifting the flap just to access the small pockets is just becoming a hassle. Also, the larger interior pocket is narrow so things have to be layered upwards making it tough to get at some things.

I was thinking of an Urban Fibers bag as I've been eyeing them and like the look. Any feedback?

We do really like the messenger style and the sporty look of the US, so the Timbuk2 is really appealing but I just built one and whoa it would be about $116 (is it really worth it?). I don't want to spend gobs of $ as I don't want this expense to cut too much into my diapering budget!

Anyway, any suggestions? What bag do you recommend that is about the same size (maybe even slightly larger) of US but perhaps doesn't have the same drawbacks I've mentioned. Oh, and I don't want a backpack style.

rorycam
01-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Have you thought about the Diaper Dude bag? Here is the link:
http://www.diaperdude.com/

We just got one as a gift this weekend and my baby is not here yet so I have not used it, but it seems really good, and I think others here have liked it if you search the archives. It is sporty and a comfortable messenger style and seems very easy to use. It has a lot of pockets and zippered compartments. I've never seen a Combi US in person, but they look similar in size, Diaper Dude perhaps a little bigger. I really like the look of it and will probably be the main one to use it, but DH really likes it, too. HTH!

Rory

Calmegja2
01-23-2004, 08:38 PM
My DH loves the Diaper Dude, and so do I.

I'm not a loyal bag-girl. I rotate bags frequently, depending on what we're wearing or doing, but I really like the DD.

It's not a huge bag, but it packs more compactly without bulging like the US, and has smart pocket placement.

And it wears really well with a sling.

MamaKath
01-24-2004, 12:45 AM
My suggestions would be the AmeriHealth Healthy Back Baby Bag (this is an awesome bag!), the Lands End Little Tripper (new version) or the Lands End messenger bag. All of them would work well for a man or a woman, are sturdy, easy to use, and can be "slung" across the body.

HTH~

jec2
01-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks, for the suggestions.

I couldn't find the LE messenger bag on their site. I have considered the Little Tripper but think it might be a bit too small. There are a couple of days where I have baby at work with me for 3+ hours so I need something that will accomodate all that stuff.

sarahfran
01-25-2004, 12:34 AM
We have a LE little tripper and it's tiny. We have a pack of wipes, 2 diapers, and a change of clothes in it and the bag's tough to zip shut.
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

sarahfran
01-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Is the diaper dude heavy?? Great looking bag. I've been eyeing the Combi US, so I'm happy to read the reviews. Does DD have good space inside?
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Calmegja2
01-25-2004, 10:13 AM
It's not a gigantic bag, and it's not heavy. I'm a heavy packer, and I can get snacks, eating out basics (bibs, protective placemats, coloring books, crayons), snacks, 2 cloth diapers, 2 disposable diapers, wipes, cell phone, wallet, sippy cups...easily enough for a day out....;-)

jec2
01-25-2004, 12:52 PM
thanks for posting. That's what I thought. Definately a quick-trip bag. I'm in need of something bigger.

jec2
01-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Wow, you pack! This might be a good one to put in the running. Is there room left over or do you have the bag super-stuffed. Also, does the bag have a bottom to it--the Urban Sling is more like an envolope so it's hard to place things in there w/out stacking one on the other so everything essentially ends up being crammed in there. (Does that make sense?)

Thanks

Calmegja2
01-25-2004, 03:53 PM
The Dude is C shaped, and soft sided, but it's a ballistic material, so it doesn't puff out the way the US does. But it doesn't have a squared off bottom, like some other bags.

I refuse to cram my bags. I have four kids, and if I'm disorganized, it makes me panicky, so with the Dude, it works very well for me. ;-)

Remember, not only are there interior spaces, there are a multitude of external pockets, and a cell phone holster that rides on the strap.

sarahfran
01-25-2004, 05:54 PM
So, being that this is the Baby Bargains board, I think you'll understand when I say that I was bummed to read (in the really fine print on one of the Media pages on the diaperdude.com site) that the DD wholesales for $26. Not that I have any way to buy it at that price, but knowing that makes it harder for me to pay $52 for it. Anyone have ideas on how to buy it for less than the full rack rate? I've searched the internet and ebay but haven't found any on sale.

Also, I like the funkiness of the camo bag, but I'd probably get tired of it, right? Black makes more sense, doesn't it?

Your penny pinching co-poster,
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03