PDA

View Full Version : Ella Bag Review

blnony
01-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Well, the long awaited Ella came today.
Here is the lowdown:
For the most part I like the bag.
When compared to the ISM tote; there are some big differences.
If you like a stiff bag, get extra interfacing in the Ella. Its a very lightweight bag. It will stand on its own, but its not even close to the "thickness" of the ISM. The straps are fabric, not the webbing like ISM. And the bottom of the ISM is canvas, not twill like the Ella. It just depends on how "tough" you want the bag.
The fabric is gorgeous on the Ella. It looks better in person than on the website. The workmanship is great, but only 2 of the inside pockets are elastic, I had wanted all them done.
I got the Elaine, and I love the size. Its not as slanted per se as the ISM, meaning the bottom is smaller than the top, I was a little surprised at that. But I like the size, its 6" deep which makes it easier to pack and unpack.
I've attached a couple of pics.
If there is something I left out, I'll try to answer it.

jmcknight
01-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Is the ISM you picture an extra large? I just ordered one and now am nervous that the xl may be too big. If it is an xl - how do you like the size?

I am away from the house many times for a whole day and do need quite a bit of room - plus I have baby #2 on the way...more stuff!

Thanks!!

jec2
01-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the report and pics! Cute bag, which style is it?

Hey, if someone who has an Ella (or something similar), will you take a picture of a person holding the bag so I can see the real life size of the bag? I can't wrap my head around the size of the bag for some reason--I guess I don't have that gene :)

khakismom
01-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Brianna, you sound a wee bit disappointed. The bag looks beautiful! Can you contact Aimee and mention the pockets issue?

I hope you are not too disappointed!

cvharris
01-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the review and pics! The bag does look nice. How weird that only two of the pockets have the elastic top. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

Are you going to get another bag and if so, would you order another Ella (knowing what you know now) or would you get another ISM?

I did get the extra interfacing on my Ella bag and I'm wondering if it will be here today since I think it was mailed out on the same day as yours. Mailman hasn't come yet. :)

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

toomanystrollers
01-26-2004, 06:00 PM
WAAAAAh, I really want to see your pics but my net access today is not cooperating at all - it's so painfully SLOW and this is cable access to boot :(

blnony
01-26-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm a little disappointed; but I still like the bag.
I think I was expecting it to be more like the ISM.
I have the XL ISM and the Ella is the Elaine style.
I think it will be better in the spring, when everything is light and airy? Does that make sense? Also, I'd get the paci loop instead of key loop, because unlike the ISM it doesn't have the metal clip.
The other thing that bothers me, is the inside fabric kind of ruffles up, as in its not sewn with the outside at all. I'm not explaining this very well. Sorry.
I like the bag, and for the price, I think its worth it. But I'd probably just get an ISM if I were on the fence. It just seems much more sturdy.
But for just a second bag, its not bad at all. I don't want to steer anyone one way or the other.

cchavez
01-26-2004, 08:22 PM
The bag looks very nice. But it is dissappointing when things don't meet up to your expectations.....I ordered some cute handmade picture bags for my Mom and MIL for Xmas. Online they looked adorable but when I got them, I was dissapointeb b/c they were light weight. Now I wish I had ordered the extra interfacing for my bag....I did order vinyl maybe that will help????

Melanie
01-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Brianna thank you for your honest review, I just emailed her to see if she had started on my bag or not yet so I can make those changes. I had asked her about how lightweight the interior was (b/c I had an eBay bag before that the interior was not interface), so I figured since it was double-interfaced it would be stiff. I think I'll ask for more, and add that paci-loop I've been pondering.

I'm sorry you are a bit disappointed.

Why did you want all of the pockets elasticized? I'm wondering what it is that I am not considering. =)

liya
01-27-2004, 12:43 AM
Brianna thank you SOOOO very much for making my desicion so much easier. I have been awaiting your review on both bags and honestly you have helped me make up my mind. Thank you for your honest review it really is appreciated but i like a ROUGHER bag if ykwim and now i know the way to go.....

sweetbasil
01-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Thanks so much for posting your review and pics- I really appreciate your honesty, and your effort!

I don't know if this will help any, Brianna, but I had a bag that was a little flimsy in the bottom, and I went to Michaels, went to their cake section, and found some flat cake servers. How do I explain- they are white and look like corrugated cardboard sheets, but are plastic. Anyway, I bought one, cut it into two pieces (making sure to cut it so the rows go long-ways in the bottom of the bag), and placed one of them in the bottom of my bag for extra support. A friend of mine made the bag, so she sewed me a little cover (almost like a pillowcase) for the plastic, so it doesn't even show. So that might be an option for making your bag a little sturdier post-purchase? Let me know if you want to see a picture- I'm more visual than verbal as a learner and teacher....

khakismom
01-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Brianna, thanks so much for your review! I emailed Aimee and she is going to add more interfacing to my bag. I think your bag looks gorgeous--I love the fabric choices you picked out.

Melanie
01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
My bag shipped Saturday, so I can't make changes. LOL. Good news is she thinks it might get here today. Oh well...I'm still very excited!

houseof3boys
01-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Melanie I am eager to hear your thoughts as well. I've been out of commission for the last week feeling crappy so I just got back on the boards today and saw Brianna's review :(. I hope you get it today!!!!!

blnony
01-27-2004, 06:50 PM
Update:
Well, today was my first foray out with the new bag.
I like it better in action than just examining it! :)
It isn't as tough or strudy as the ISM.
But...its kind of nice to have a lighter weight bag; much better than I had thought.
I had 7 women stop me today and ask where I got it. Thats always nice.
Its about an inch deeper than my XL ISM that is 5" and the Ella is 6" which was nice when packing it today. I still wish more of the pockets were elastic, more interfacing and clip on the key loop; but it did much better in use than I thought it would; so I'm not quite as disappointed with it.
I guess we'll see how the fabric holds up, but I just wanted to report that it did great today in use!!! :) YEAH!!!

khakismom
01-27-2004, 10:42 PM
7 people stopped to comment on the bag?! That is awesome--always the hallmark of a cool bag. Thanks again for the review Brianna and I'm glad you're happy with the bag. Because of your feedback, I was able to add extra interfacing to my bag, and will still end up ordering another bag before the 7th. :) Cannot wait to see more pix of everyone's bags!

shindagrl
01-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Pehaps you could put your own hook on the fabric keyring, so it's a bit more what you wanted????

Just at thought......

Everyone's bags look lovely, and I can't wait to order mine. I think I'll order an Ella AND an ISM and use them according to my whim that day. ;)

Shinda

blnony
01-28-2004, 12:01 AM
LOL!!! One of Audrey's flashcard toys had a hot pink clip on it and I confiscated it and put it in my bag! :o
And it works great....
I think I'm going to get a second one too. I really liked the size of the Elaine and I think I may get another one in a darker color to use this spring/summer with dresser things. But I am really tempted to just get a purse size bag though.
Granted all those who complimented the bag were in Gymboree...and obviously have their eyes out for diaper bags..I was still impressed!

coffeemug230
02-05-2004, 06:27 PM
I really like the bag the fabric is brillant! Thanks for the review now can we get another deal for those that missed the first?