PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Timbuk2 owners...

mamahill
01-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Ok, ever since I saw Beth mention this a couple weeks ago, I've been thinking of nothing else (and trying very hard NOT to visit this forum to preserve the wallet). But I've got a couple questions.

1. What size do you have? I was thinking I'd get the medium, but then I thought maybe the small would be big enough? Ainsleigh is almost 2 so I don't shlep a lot of stuff, but I'd use this for baby #2 when that happens, so it would need to cater to both ages. Oh, and I have a Little Tripper that has served as my only (gasp!) bag and it has been fine, size-wise. Any bigger and I figure I'm bringing too much.

2. What fabric do you have? They have cordura and ballistic listed. It sounds like I'd want the ballistic since that is waterproof, but there are more color options with the cordura.

3. Colors - what do you have? I'd ideally like a black/silver/brightcolor scheme, but then don't know if I should just stick with something more muted. And then I love some of the grahic ones, so maybe that...

Help me! (or not - if you don't then I won't be able to make up my mind and then I won't get a new bag...)

wagner36
01-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Oh, I love the Timbuk2 bags! I love playing on the website too - just figuring out what we had to type this message made me realize that I want another!

We ended up with the Medium, after much debate (seriously, like 3 weeks of debate), and we really should have gotten the small. The Medium is gigantic - we use it only when we're going out of town for entire weekend. I could never carry it for a short term trip - it is just much too big. It's sad, because we really like the bag and we almost never get to use it! I think you'd go nuts with the medium if you're used to the Little Tripper. I'd go small next time in a heartbeat - although, when I was just on the website I noticed they have a new Metro bag, which looks fabulous! I think I'm actually going to order one of those to use as a small bag for my husband. It looks like the perfect size for short trips. But, we're underpackers, so the Metro is probably too small for most people.

Ours is Cordura. I actually don't think that the Ballistic is waterproof - I think they're both just water resistant. Both bags have a waterproof lining, per the website, so it doesn't make too much of a difference. Our friend has a Ballistic one and it was just a little too shiny and bright for my tastes. The Cordura colors seem a little more muted.

Ours is Orange/Steel/Olive. That, again, was much debated. I think that it looks pretty great, actually. I really like the steel and the Olive, and the orange is not as bright as it looks. I've been quite pleased. I also REALLY like the black and silver combo. We have a friend who got Sky/Black/Silver and it is incredible.

Although you didn't ask, I would definitely add the center divider - it is actually like a center pouch w/ velcro closure, so the inside of the bag is divided into three sections. That was the best $10 I ever spent. We also got the handle, but truly, I could have gone without that.

Have fun playing on their website!

Calmegja2
01-28-2004, 09:37 AM
DH has a medium, and we could pack for the week in it. Maybe two. For a diaper bag, a small would be more than sufficient.

Ours is blue, maize, and blue (of course). Dh loves it, I'm considering snagging one for myself....

mamahill
01-28-2004, 02:22 PM
FANTASTIC!!! Thank you for your excellent report - I'm even MORE excited now (hence, the capitalization). Wonderful wonderful information. I will definitely go small now. I was wondering if the Ballistic would be shinier, so thank for clearing that up. Cordura it is! I'm definitely getting the center divider, and the zipper pouch for the strap for my keys and such. I think I'll pass on the handle because I don't really see myself using it - much more likely to throw it over my body!

Thank you so much! Methinks I'll order it in the next day or two. Whoopee!!

mamahill
01-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the size evaluation - I'm going to go small for sure. Now just to decide between the fantastic colors...

Calmegja2
01-28-2004, 02:30 PM
This thread pushed me off the fence. I went and ordered mine. I'm calling it my anniversary gift. ;-) I've been going back and forth between the T2 and a Loom bag, and I know I love the T2, so I went ahead and ordered.

But I'm boring. Red in all three panels, with the ballistic nylon, because that's what we have now, and I love the finish.

Whew. That's done.

Wonder what bag will pop into my brain for obsession next?

mamahill
01-28-2004, 02:43 PM
Oooh, sounds nice! I'm thinking Black-Steel-Mint. I just sent my bag to DH at work and said that unless I hear from him in an hour, I'm ordering it. LOL, I don't know why I even did that 1)he doesn't really care, and 2) he's at a photoshoot until noon!

But now that I think of it, my Little Tripper is kind of a gray/mint color. Hmmm, back to the drawing board?

Calmegja2
01-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Ooh...sounds pretty...

So, did the hour go by? ;-)

sarahfran
01-29-2004, 07:52 PM
All right... darn you people. I was doing fine with all the Ella and ISM craze because that's not quite my style. But I can't handle the messenger bag enthusiasm because I've been wanting one. SOOOO, could one of you please share a link with me so I can see what you're talking about?

AND, I was very seriously considering a Diaper Dude. Thoughts on comparisons (other than appearance)?

Thanks for feeding my delinquent shopping habits,
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

jec2
01-29-2004, 09:09 PM
Here's the link http://www.timbuk2.com/

the only experience I have is virtually building my dream bag. I haven't bought yet, but just might one of these days. This is more my style too.

Calmegja2
01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
Well, I have a Diaper Dude, and I should have this in a week or so.

DH has a T2 for his gym bag, and it's fabulous.

A girl can never have too many bags, right?

sarahfran
01-29-2004, 09:45 PM
OOOOOh. Jessica, PLEASE do tell what you think about the comparison between both bags when you get the T2. Very exciting.

So, I've just built a couple of fantasy bags. I'm enjoying the graphics, but was disappointed to find that they don't offer the center divider for the graphic bags. W'sup with that?

I wonder if I'd get tired of the graphics... at first blush, I like the funky abstracted floral and the Paris travel... so many choices. Isn't shopping a fun hobby? At least I can quench much of my desire with the build your own feature!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

mamahill
01-30-2004, 02:51 AM
I did it!! Woohoo! Bummer that I live IN California and have to pay sales tax, but I don't care. I got silver(with silver logo)-mint-steel, center divider, and a strap pouch. I am sooooo excited. I liked the light blue as well, but went with the mint because that's just what I was feeling like.

Did you see the pork chop bag? ADORABLE! I just liked their description:). Anyway, thanks for all your input. I haven't been this giddy since I awaited delivery of my last stroller (over 6 months ago!).

Calmegja2
01-30-2004, 09:20 AM
They shipped mine yesterday! I cannot believe it!

Did not see pork chop. Must.go.and.look. ;-)