PDA

View Full Version : Another Ella Bag Review...and comparison to ISM

cvharris
01-27-2004, 06:39 PM
My Ella Bag arrived today. I ordered the Lily size, in kiwi sky pink stripe with a dark denim bottom (the dark denim is very durable and very dark - almost black). I added extra interfacing, pockets and a key loop.

I've attached pictures of my Ella bag next to my regular sized ISM bag. The lighting is not good in the pictures, but you get the idea.

In regards to comparing the two, I pretty much agree with Brianna on everything she said. I got the extra interfacing on my bag, but it's still not nearly as sturdy as my ISM on the outside, nor on the inside in regards to the pockets.

Don't know if this will hold up to everyday use, but I think it's cute and perfect for summer!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

blnony
01-27-2004, 06:54 PM
I LOVE that fabric.
Thats one thing I really liked; the fabric is gorgeous on the bag and the craftsmanship is great.
After using my bag today, I was impressed with it. I think it does much better in IRL than I had thought it would.

Momof3Labs
01-27-2004, 07:07 PM
My bags aren't here yet (due to ship on Friday) but I just wanted to mention that all the comparisons to ISM are fine if you have an ISM and want a comparison point, but keep in mind that they are MUCH less expensive! We're getting these bags for $30, less than half of what an ISM costs. I wouldn't expect the Ellas to be quite as good as a much more expensive bag, and I hope that everyone takes that into consideration when deciding whether to order from Aimee (at Ella). I'd hate for her business to suffer based on these comparisons after she's offered us such a great deal - unless she truly produces a crappy product (which I haven't heard from anyone).

JMHO!

blnony
01-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Lori-

I understand your point; however, I wanted to give everyone here my honest opinion of the bag. Most comments and questions have been in comparing the ISM and Ella previously. Many posters have been trying to decide which bag they want to purchase between these two. I think an honest assessment of that was given in my posts. I never intended to sway anyone's choice to one bag or the other.

I agree that it is a much lesser expensive bag and that is why in my orginal review thread I mentioned that "I like the bag, and for the price, I think its worth it" and "But for just a second bag, its not bad at all. I don't want to steer anyone one way or the other."

I think it was very generous of Aimee to offer our group the discount and for Debbi to arrange everything; but I am not going to allow that to override my opinion of the bag and the honest opinon I offered here.

rorycam
01-27-2004, 07:50 PM
I totally agree. I don't have either bag, but when you are paying just a little more than 1/3 of the price of the ISM bag, it is going to be a bit different. I think they look so pretty and are a very reasonable price for a custom-made product, and I actually prefer a lighter weight bag. At that price, I could afford to have a couple in different prints or sizes and alternate them depending on the situation or season. Both Ella and ISM look like absolutely lovely bags to own and use, and I will be hoping to get in on the next Ella deal.:)

Edited to add that I appreciate the honest review of the bag, too! I like both Ella and ISM bags and enjoy reading straightforward assessments of both. :)

Rory

Momof3Labs
01-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Brianna, I know that's what you intended in your review (Carolee's too) but I'm not sure that's how people have taken it, reading the responses. I agree that an honest review is invaluable, but also think that a review comparing it to a much more expensive bag will never do it justice. I mean, you wouldn't do a review of a Ford Taurus by comparing it to a Lexus (similar price comparison to Ella and ISM) because the Lexus will almost always "win" - when in reality the Taurus offers many strengths when reviewed on its own.

Hopefully people will continue to post reviews as they receive their bags so that we can get different perspectives - not all of us have seen an ISM bag in person.

AdoptChina
01-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reviews! They have helped me decide to order the ISM diaper bag, and for the Ella Im ordering a summer purse for me (actually I may order 2). I figure I want the more durable one for my diaper bag (which is used non-stop). I love the Ella fabrics and for the price, I can order 2 to use for purses since they dont get abused as much.

cvharris
01-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Sorry if the comparison offended some. These are the only two diaper bag totes I have, and instead of describing them on the own, for me it's easier to do a basic compare and show pictures. I agree that a thorough valid comparison should mention price, as well as the ability with Ella to customize and choose from some really cute fabrics. I didn't have the time when posting before to talk thoroughly about the bag. :) Hopefully others who get their bags (and don't have the ISM) can do a better job at not being biased when giving their review and describing it. I hope I don't sound ungrateful for being able to take part in this deal, and I really thank Debbi for arranging it!

I did have a minor problem with my bag. I wasn't going to mention it here, but guess I will. The box it was mailed in wasn't big enough for it to be placed in without bending the bag. Well, unfortunately it being bent caused it to have a permanent dent and some wrinkles in the outer fabric around the side of the bag. I called and she asked me to try a hot iron on it, which I did, but it didn't help fix it. It really is a minor problem and I think to make something more of it would be too much for me to ask of Aimee. I can live with it. It really is a gorgeous bag and I think it as worth the price paid.

*Edited to add that Aimee was really responsive to me when I called her about it and ultimately it was my decision to tell her not to worry about it - I think she has excellent customer service! She even sent me a follow up e-mail.

heidi_timms
01-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Does anyone have an Ella backpack coming soon? I am on the fence on whether to pick the regular Ella shoulder bag or backpack and would love to see photos!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

LD92599
01-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Heidi:

I'll post pics as soon as I get it! I can't wait to see it....I was the one that was able to get the backpack in the Burberry Nova Check w/ black twill bottom, red piping and Khaki (vinyl) interior. I'll post inside/outside pics ASAP!

I expect to have it by Friday!

Laura
mom to William

khakismom
01-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Gorgeous bag Carolee!! What a beautiful fabric--and such a fun spring/summer bag! Keep the pix coming--can't wait to see Laura's! :)

cvharris
01-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Okay, Ben is asleep now and I'm feeling like I should write a better, more in-depth review. :) Aimee asked for feedback already. I've had a chance to play around with it more, and here's my feedback on it and what I would ask for if I get another bag (and I am thinking about a smaller Ink Spot bag):

Size: For a regular everyday diaper bag, I think the Elaine would have been sufficient in size. The Lily is a very generous sized bag.

Closure: I got the magnetic snap. It works really well and is a high quality silver colored snap. I do think that this type of closure greatly limits space and affects the shape of the bag, though. I think I'd want a tie type closure, not a ribbon, but ties made of the exterior fabric, maybe similar to how the key loop is made. Or maybe ask them to make a hook type closure similar to the hardware they use for the paci loop.

Exterior: I'm really, really happy with the looks of the exterior of the bag. I love the fabric - I think the dark denim is a great choice for the bottom of the bag. It is really durable and will hide any kind of dirt well, and I'd be fine putting this bag on a floor in a restaurant and not worry about dirt. I have a custom band and it is sewn on nicely and looks great. I got the extra interfacing. Next time I might go with extra, extra interfacing (I think you can pay for as much interfacing as you want).

Straps: I went with longer straps and the bag hangs nicely. I asked for a snap on the straps to keep them together (no extra charge), and it works well. The straps are long enough that I can still keep them snapped on top and yet open the bag wide. The straps are narrow in width (1" wide) and I'd ask for them to be a little wider.

Interior: I got the additional pockets (4) that aren't elasticized and I would get them all elasticized. The interior (including pockets) is pretty thin. I'd probably make a thicker fabric choice for the interior. To make the pockets more substantial and improve visibility, I'd ask about maybe adding my exterior fabric to the outside of the pockets. The interior is not attached to the bottom of the bag in any way, it is only attached to the top of the bag (I can grab the interior and pull it out of the bag), and I'd like it to be attached more throughout. I'd like the bottom of the bag to be sturdier, not just the fabrics, but maybe have something added to the bottom. The key loop is adorable, I'd probably get the paci loop next time. The pen pocket isn't a full pocket like the other six but is actually a little ribbon loop where you can stick a pen.

So, that's it. I think the exterior is wonderful, and the interior could be toughened up a bit. Overall, the craftsmanship is very good.

liya
01-28-2004, 12:38 AM
awsome points...thank you carolee.... i think you and i like almost the same type of bags so im actually going to take the plundge and order one of these backpacks and one of the ISM backapacks. I think the ella would make great purses though more than diaper bags so maybe ill just get a small purse instead. Desicions desicions..LOL

Thanx for the in depth look...

pritchettzoo
01-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Do you use CDs? I thought you did, but I may be mistaken. Is the Elaine sufficient in size for them or would you go with the Lily for CDs?

Thanks! I'm still debating fabrics too...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

parkersmama
01-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Great question, Anna! I'm wondering the same thing...

cvharris
01-28-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm paraphrasing here as I don't want to quote her e-mail directly, so if you are interested in anything below I would ask her about it.

She mentioned some possibilities in response to my feedback and questions about another bag...

She said that they aim to keep their prices low so that any woman can afford a custom made bag. There are options for those who want to upgrade their bag. Adding a heavier fabric to the inside of the bag is possible. If I'd like to add a heavier fabric, such as twill or canvas, they can do that. They can use exterior fabric for the pockets, too. For extra stiffness, they can use crinoline to make bags ultra-stiff. Adding crinoline to lightweight fabrics with the interfacing helps them maintain shape and stiffness. The crinoline cost is around the same as adding 2 extra layers of interfacing. I'm not sure how much any fabric upgrades are.

As for straps, they used to make them wider, but found that they are harder to hold on the shoulder. But if you get a snap together strap option, that should take care of that problem. So, I think that you can request wider straps. Ties can also be made from the same fabric.

She also said that they are getting ready to offer new hardware for bags (like feet) and that she is looking into "hooks" for the key loop. The key loop was originally made for those who already had a hook on their keys, but so many customers want an actual hook. They are working on obtaining a hook that opens like a claw, is completely round, and small enough to be used in bags. I do not think it is available yet.

cvharris
01-28-2004, 01:43 AM
I do use CDs. My understanding is that the Lily is 2" wider and taller than the Elaine. I doubt it's 2" deeper, because my Lily isn't very deep (front to back). I think with both bags, you'd be putting CDs in the main (middle) area. I have the Lily and wouldn't be able to put CDs in any of the pockets. I don't think the extra 2" of height that the Lily has helps you much with CDs, so I guess it's just the extra 2" of width that might help. I don't have the Elaine so I can't be sure, but I think it would be big enough.

Brianna has the Elaine and since she has CD'd, she could probably better answer that question.

houseof3boys
01-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Carolee - Thanks for your review. You were super detailed and I think it will help a lot of people. I think that her philosophy of any woman being able to customize a bag is great. I think the fact that you can build your bag from scratch and have all of these nifty options is the huge draw to the ella bags.

Your bag is really cute!!!! :)

khakismom
01-28-2004, 12:31 PM
So Debbi, have you decided and ordered your bag? :) What fabrics and bag size are you getting?

Calmegja2
01-28-2004, 12:32 PM
I received my backpack from Ella yesterday. I ordered before the coop started, and I have the black toile backpack, exactly as shown on the site. I use a little hardcase diaper changing pack (transferring it back and forth) in most of my bags, so I didn't order any extras.

It's lovely. The construction is topnotch, and I am very pleased with how it looks.

It's not huge, and I think it'll be a great compliment to wear, and it's a good out and about for the morning errands size.

I'm a digitally camera challenged, so I'm not sure I'll be able to post pics in a timely manner, but I am very pleased with it.

I actually like that it isn't stiff fabric, because that makes it more malleable for handling, so it works for us.

Pretty bag. I'd carry it sans kiddos... ;-)

blnony
01-28-2004, 01:34 PM
I think the Elaine size would work with CDs. But it depends on how many you carry. If it were one or two, it would be fine. AIOs would proabbly be better too. But thats if you don't pack a lot of other stuff too.
If you just have a small wet bag; I would def. go for the vinyl inside.
I got the tie closure because I can "fill it up" more; I've had bags with all the different closures and I find the button and tie to have the most give.

I found that I can put everything I had in my XL ISM in the Elaine size and it fits fine; not protruding sides or overstuffed look.

houseof3boys
01-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Sadly, the fabric I want is on backorder! Nita wants the same one and ordered hers anyway and is just crossing her fingers that it comes in.

It's the geo squares black and I was going to do red on the bottom and interior. I am adding the extra extra interfacing too since I like a stiff bag. I like reading the reviews that everyone is doing (okay, so just 2 reviews so far) since I don't know what I really want in a diaper bag like this. I use a Combi Urban Sling and a huge red leather tote that used to be my airplane carry-on bag pre preg! I am not a frou frou diaper bag girl so for me they all seem the same on the inside and I love learning from everyones expertise!

coffeemug230
02-03-2004, 09:59 PM
I am hoping that another Ella discount happens!!

ismommy
02-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Your bag is up on the Ella site. I still havent made up mu mind and keep looking at the fabrics. I am leaning towrad the kiwi pink strip but then I love daisies so keep looking at that too.

Helene