PDA

View Full Version : Need diaper bag suggestion for 10+ hour flight! TIA!

boys2enough
02-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Hi, we will be flying home to visit my folks, and it's going to be a 24-hour trip, with one lag of flight lasting 10+ hours. I am freaking out naturally. I only have a Combi US and I think I am just going to pack it in the suitcase and get something bigger as carry-on.

My DH has a big backpack for back-up clothing, food, water and other non-essential just in-case stuff.

Could you ladies please suggest a bag big enough for essential stuff such as bottles, snacks, toys, blankets, diapers, etc etc, and not too big so I can store it under the seat? Lots of compartment so I can TRY to be organized.

Thank you so much!

Too bad this is not an occasion that I could use as an excuse to get an ISM or Ella bag. They sure look very nice! Lin

Ami
02-05-2004, 01:58 AM
Ami

Hi,

My friends and I swear by our Baby Sherpas. Lots of compartments, a built in cooler, video cam pouch, room for diapers , bottles, a great bungee x for blankets and jackets and it is airline carry on approved. It is ergo so super comfy when walking and carrying a big load and you can use it with a Baby carrier. Their website is www.babysherpa.com

Have a great trip.

Ami

JerseyMom
02-05-2004, 12:21 PM
This is our big trip travel diaper bag:

http://www.ameribag.com/products/baby.html

Check out this pic to see the mutltitude of organizational options:

http://www.ameribag.com/products/images/webbaby.jpg

This is my husband's favorite bag and if it only were more stylish, it would be mine hands down too!

caleymama
02-05-2004, 01:18 PM
I recently got this backpack from Lands End and although it's not a diaper bag, it works very well for us for longer outings. This one isn't at the top of the stylish list, but it's very functional and inexpensive. It's in the overstock section and it's marked down to $16 right now (was $19 when I got it). http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,1467,2_17273_17281_30912_93379_71826_,00.html?si d=8779060756030161060
It has 3 main compartments: the largest one has a small fleece pocket running across the top that is maybe 4-5 inches tall, then the middle pocket, and then the smallest (not really that small) front pocket which is the organizer pocket with a variety of smaller interier pockets. There is the outside mesh zipper pocket on the bottom of the front and there is also a mesh bottle holder type pocket on the side.

I use the main compartment for toys, clothes, and any other misc. stuff we're carrying and I use the smaller fleece pocket in that compartment for snacks. I use the middle compartment for changing pad, diapers, wipes, tissues, and any other things like that. I use the front compartment for my stuff, the zipper mesh pocket for small toys for quick access, and the bottle pocket for a sippy cup.

khakismom
02-05-2004, 01:26 PM
The BabyTrend ActivPak is awesome for traveling. It's not huge but still good-sized and has tons of organizational pockets and compartments. This was my everyday dipe bag in the beginning with 2 kids in dipes. Now I only carry it for longer stays or when traveling.

I got it at BRU for $29, it comes in colors black and navy:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005TPSS/qid=1076001012/br=1-5/ref=br_lf_ba_5//102-3645936-3009704?v=glance&s=baby&n=542428

Plus, right now with BRU's baby sale, you can get $5 off (use promo code 910894). :) Good luck!

Kimberly H
02-05-2004, 02:11 PM
We used the Lands End Deluxe Diaper Backpack for Mia's carryon on the way home from China. It was perfect for us as it fit under the seat in front of us and yet held everything we needed for the 13 hour flight back to the US and then the two shorter flights across the US.

Edited to add: it has a small Mom's zipper pocket in front, then a pouch that closes with velcro and holds a Mom's pouch with strap (used that as my "purse" in China), then the main pocket with smaller mesh pockets inside, then a slimmer pocket with wet bag, then the pocket on the back for the changing pad. The interior is light blue so you can actually SEE inside.

Now it lives in the back of the Escape as our emergency bag and holds diapers, wipes, two changes of clothes, toys, etc.

boys2enough
02-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. Thank you esp. for taking time out to type! We all know that moms' time is precious. :-)

I think I am going to order both the regular backpack and diaper backpack from LE: this way I have the excuse to order MORE stuff from their ourstock page. lol. It doesn't hurt that there is an outlet store near us, so I can return stuff easily. In fact, I think people in the store now know me , hopefully not as Queen of Returns??

Thank you again. Wish me luck please. I am dreading the flight...

boys2enough
02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Thank you all again for sharing with me your opinions. Because my dh is so tired of my stroller obssession, I decided to go the "cheapo" route and get some LE backpack from their overstocks. I ordered 2: the Organizer backpack, and the All terrain Backpack. I like them both for a long trip:

the Organizer backpack has the "pen/wallet/whatnot" organizer panel in the big front pocket. The second compartment is HUGE. And of course, there is the very roomy main compartment.

The All Terrain Backpack's second compartment doesn't seem as roomy as the Organizer, and it has the organizer panel there. The front pocket seems to be smaller as well. But the main compartment is very very roomy (and there is a zippered pocket). The best thing I like about this bag is that there is a big BOTTOM compartment and I can envision using it for the diapering stuff. Since the bottom compartment is meant for shoes, it is very roomy.

Links to these bags (again, I doubt anybody is interested since they are kind of boring... lol, but hope this helps someone, I guess).

http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,,2_17273_17281_30912_93379_71826_9:view=-1,00.html?sid=4724035886403100120

http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,,2_17273_17279_17891_93382_71829_9:view=-1,00.html?sid=4724035886403100120

chlobo
02-09-2004, 05:52 PM
I appreciate the info. I had been wondering if the organizer bag would be a good diaper bag & now I know!!!!