PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate size for diaper bag?

HoneymoonBaby
02-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi there, experts!

So, I'm about to buy a large (for me) tote bag that I think will work really well as a diaper bag. Only I'm slightly worried it will be too small. The dimensions are 13" X 11" X 6". It's wider than it is tall, and very structured. It has 18.5" straps, so it will go over my shoulder nicely. I'm buying a Zippy stroller, so it's not like I need the straps to wrap around a big handlebar. Either I'll get one of thos clip-on hooks, or put the bag in the tray underneath.

Is this a good size to carry a newborn's/very young baby's diapers/extra outift/wipes/toys? I'm really small-framed, so I'd be overwhelmed by a really large bag . . .

Thanks in advance!

HoneymoonBaby
02-05-2004, 02:49 PM
If I put the word "Ella" in my post, will someone reply????

Edited to add a smiley because I'm just kidding around: ;)

Momof3Labs
02-05-2004, 02:59 PM
The reason you probably didn't get a flurry of responses is because diaper bags are so personal, which you'll see by reading the posts on this board. So please try not to be so hard on everyone for not responding as quickly as you'd like.

Some people need a big bag and some can go with the tiniest bag. My gut reaction is that the straps are awfully short (try to access the inside of the bag with one hand when it is over your shoulder and you'll see what I'm saying) and that the bag is on the small side except for short trips. But that's just my opinion, the bag might work great for you.

kathsmom
02-05-2004, 03:06 PM
For DS, we have been using the Baby Trend Activpak backpack from BRU. It is larger and will hold quite a bit of stuff. I know that I didn't need half the stuff I carried, but I liked having it just in case. I do like having the room in the Activpak for the bottle cooler bag so that I didn't have to carry that separately (DS could only tolerate ready-to-feed formula or the concentrate, so we had to keep it cool). Now I don't carry the bottle bag as much, since we are now using sippy cups. I also liked being able to stuff a blanket in the Activpak during the winter months.

One piece of advice that I got here on the boards when I was pregnant was that I might want to just use the hospital diaper bag until I got a feel for what my baby and I needed and how we would use the diaper bag. I did use the hospital diaper bag for awhile until I could find what I wanted.

ETA: If you like the size of the bag, you could always keep extra diapers, wipes, etc. in a tote bag in the car to replenish the small bag if you run out of stuff when you out and about.

Take care and I hope this helps!

egoldber
02-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Honestly, the answer is "it depends". I quite happily used a Lands End Little Tripper until DD was 6-7 months and started eating solids when we were out and about. I then needed a medium bag. But I pack very light compared to a lot of people.

I now find that I need either the Little Tripper or something really big, depending on where we're going. If we're going shopping or somewhere that she will be stimulated and amused by surroundings, the Little Tripper is fine. But if we're going out to eat, we need a big bag, because frankly, I need a pile of toys to keep her entertained!

HTH,

jjj
02-05-2004, 04:21 PM
You just can't plan how you will use your bag - I had no idea til it finally happened. Plus your needs will change in a matter of months. You may want a couple of totes in different sizes. I agree about the straps though. Being able to reach inside while it's still on your shoulder is HUGE plus when the bag is loaded it takes up more space under there. I'm 5'3" and have about 25" straps and the bag still seems pretty high when it's full. :-) jj

sbjf
02-05-2004, 04:23 PM
People around here do seem to be focusing on those Ella's, lol. If you look back in the archives a bit you'll notice (like I did) that diaper bags go through waves of popularity, like most things.

I have found, after reading a lot, that it's good, for me anyway, to try to avoid jumping on the most popular bag/item of the moment and really try to focus on what's best for your needs, like what you're doing. Personally, I don't want to have several diaper bags or strollers so researching and waiting, thinking it over, is a good thing for me to do, otherwise I tend to be hasty and wind up never using the item.

When I first started reading this board it would have been really easy to quickly get excited about an Ella, or an ISM, which I did briefly, but in the end they would not be right for me so I'm glad I showed some restraint!

Good luck in your search!