PDA

View Full Version : Just popping in to ask about Diaper Backpacks (LE, Kapoochi, Dekko, BacPac X, others???)

MamaKath
02-08-2004, 02:01 AM
I am finding as I am traveling that I really need a backpack diaper bag for these trips and long outings. I love my Ameribag Healthy Back Baby Bag, and use it all the time. On my trips though I find that I need a more traditional backpack to handle our stuff, the kids, etc on stops, in and out of the car, etc. I don't want just a regular backpack since I need more organization than that. This is what I would love to see, however I know that it is like strollers... there is no perfect ONE! ;-)

Here is what I want (as many or all features, lol):
*Lighter/brighter interior to find things easier
*padded straps
*straps that unhook to allow them to attach to a stroller
*compartments (the inside of the Baby Bag has lots of pockets to allow for organizing things instead of just throwing them all in)
*easy access to sippies/waterbottles on the outside (side pockets?)
*not too feminine so hubby will carry it
*usable after the baby days for stuff
*easy to clean (prefer nylon)
*rugged, hold up to abuse!
*hold enough for a day out with 2 (outfit for each, diapers for toddler, wipes, sippies, snacks, small toys, small books, mommy stuff [wallet, chapstick, comb, checkbook, keys], maybe a magazine or small handcraft [ball of yarn and crochet hook type thing], cell phone)
*diaper dispenser
*approximately $50 shipped as a maximum price (kicking myself for missing out on the Eagle Creek bags)
*not all black
*not too bulky (I don't want it to stick out really far behind me)

The ones that seem to fit most of my criteria are the new Lands End Backpack, the Safeline Skyline and Timberline, the Kapoochi Travel Backpack (primary color one) and Classic Backpack (navy or black with creme), the Dekko backpack, the Phil & Ted's Bacpac X, the Eagle Creek Parent Pack (probably out of my price range though), Baby Bjorn Diaper Backpack, and the Kelty Kids Backpack. So what do the diaper bag gurus recommend?

TIA~

lmariana
02-08-2004, 10:44 AM
I would also recommend the Baby Sherpa (www.babysherpa.com). We recently got this bag for your trip to Disney World with our 4 month old. I love it! The interior is gray, so you can find things, it has a huge changing pad, it has tons of organization inside and out, it has two detachable bottle/sippie cup holders outside, two well cushioned shoulder straps and optional chest and waist supports, an insulated cooler section that fits 8 bottles or 8 cokes!, and it rough and tough enough to handle anything!

However it does not have detachable straps to connect to a stroller and it is pricey, $89. But you can find them on Ebay for less. I picked up ours at The Right Start in November.

Just another to consider!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

MamaKath
02-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks Mariana! I am debating with myself back and forth over a dumb backpack, lol. I may just get a nice regular backpack and be done with it. Ugh! I will have to keep my eyes open on Ebay for them, and try to find one in person to check out.

Judegirl
02-21-2004, 09:15 PM
The kapoochi we bought meets every one of your criteria except easy-to-clean. (It's canvas - it might be possible to throw it in the washing machine.)

I'm not nuts about the colors, and we don't have the baby yet, but we love it - 2 outside insulated pockets - one foil for HOT stuff if needed! - roomy, white inside, diaper dispenser w/access from front and back of bag...the whole nine.

I bought mine used on ebay and paid about $15. I think it's around $40 new.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Jude