PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag roll call - post your collection here! Inquiring minds want to know!

kathsmom
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Hi, everyone!

With the flurry of activity on this forum lately, I want to know all the diaper bags in your current collection. Please feel free to list where you got them, what you like/dislike about them, etc. Also, if you are still looking for the perfect diaper bag (and who isn't?), post that too! Maybe someone can offer some advice on what might work for you.

My current stash:

-Baby Trend Activpak backpack in navy. Bought at BRU. Love, love, love this bag. Very good organization. However, the ladies in the church nursery never find the diapers and wipes in it and tell me that I am out of diapers!LOL

-Lands' End Little Tripper. Not the newest one, but the one before that with little handles on it. I like it for the church nursery (they can find the diapers :) ).

-2 handmade bags from ebay. Don't use these at all. One is too floppy and I don't like the pockets on the other one. They are well-made, but don't suit me.

Just sold my Sally Spicer diaper bag. It was too big for my needs. I have bought and returned numerous diaper bags, tote bags, and backpacks in the past (I lost count after 20).

Current quest: A medium size bag. Backpack or messenger style. Lightweight. Durable fabrics (I am tough on diaper bags). I need something between the Little Tripper and the Activpak. I don't like having to switch back and forth between them. The Activpak is a little too big for everyday, but the Little tripper is too small. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions!

sbjf
02-09-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm planning on getting the Loom Marsupial Diaper Bag to use as my daily bag and the coordinating Loom Watermelon Clutch which will hold my purse items. The clutch is able to be clipped on to the key ring holder thingy in the Marsupial.

I also REALLY like the Baby Sherpa backpacks, I think they are so cool and I would love to have one to keep in the car and also for amusment park type outings. I don't think I can get both right off the bat though.

I also like the looks and reviews of the Lands End Do-It-All, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a long strap so I probably won't get this, unless maybe I get this instead of the Sherpa for the car?

On the other hand, I may just use my HUGE big ol' LL Bean Canvas bag in the trunk area with a stock of stuff. I'd even be able to put a little soft cooler within it. Plus, this would save me from needing to buy anything else. Only thing is it has my maiden name on the side instead of my married one, but that's not a big deal.

Melanie
02-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Let's go with those I use regularly:

Sally Spicer Baby Bag
Ella Lily Diaper Bag
Avent Backpack
Regular Old Columbia/Kohl's backpack (for big day trips where Daddy can carry it)

egoldber
02-09-2004, 09:36 PM
GULP!

The two most frequently used are:

LE Little Tripper (2 styles ago...): I use this most of the time now

Timbuk2 messenger bag: I use this for all day and dinner outings (when I need a lot of toys and other paraphanalia)

Also have and still like:

Combi Traditional bag: I like this one for travel since it is very well organized

Eddie Bauer diaper backpack: I don't know why, but I just don't really use this one anymore?

Also have and no longer like:

Combi Urban Sling: too inbetween to be really good for anything, but I love how it is organized

Lands End Deluxe Do It All: DH talked me into this one and I have hated it from day 1...

Momof3Labs
02-09-2004, 10:07 PM
A Baby Baggage black bag that I got at Baby Depot for about $20. It is ugly, but I really love this bag. Two separate compartments (I like to keep diapering stuff separate from everything else), adjustable shoulder strap (hangs off of the stroller nicely), lightweight, easy to get into. It's kinda like a knock-off of the Bjorn clamshell bag, but not a hard shell all around.

A Caroline style Ella bag - just started using this and it is a nice little bag! All the short trip essentials fit in here nicely.

An Elaine style Ella bag - haven't used yet because I had to return it to Aimee for a correction.

The Combi Traditional. We've used it a few times for longer outings, and it is a nice bag, but I just don't reach for it. No good reason!

A small black bag that I got at Marshall's pre-baby. It worked okay for a while but the zipper didn't open very wide.

A backpack also from Marshall's, bought pre-baby. I never really used this - again, no particular reason.

ppshah
02-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Here's what I have:

Baby Trend Tote diaper bag
ISM large tote

The Baby Trend Tote diaper bag was the only one I had unitl this week. It's good for travel and longer trips but was too big for everyday use so I got the ISM- I've only used this twice- it's smaller than what I expected but works great for everyday errands etc. Now that I've downsized my diaper bag I'm planning on keeping the hospital freebie bag in the car with extra diapers, wipes, water bottle, jacket etc.

What I'm lusting after is a medium sized messenger type bag. Both of my bags are kind of girly for DH- though he will take the Baby trend Tote- but he just leaves it in the car. He rarely does on long trips with DS without me. We would also use this bag for travel so it would needto fill stuff for DS for an entire day.

I think I want a Skip Hop Duo in Navy to coordinate with my Navy Combi US- since the basket is sooo small. Anyone seen one in real life? It may be too small for travel. Or a timbuk2 in Navy and Steel (PeeWee or El ocho).

Since I just got the ISM I'm thinking this purchase will have to wait or DH will freak out!!!

Oh yeah DS is 11 months

ETA: Can you guys believe the Combi is our one and only stroller!!!

lmintzer
02-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Let's see:

Lands End Do-It-All (original model)
Lands End Backpack
Kate Spade tote (not actually a diaper bag but was a gift to use as such)
I'm Still Me back pack/tote in Ladder Abstract

The first 3 bags are all black. The I'm Still Me has some color. I tend to like black bags because I wear a lot of black, and they go with everything.

We used the Do-It-All with DS#1 when we used to carry the kitchen sink, lol. Now, I use that bag when I go out alone with both kids. When DH and I go out with both, we tend to carry two bags--one for each. DH uses the Lands End Backpack. I alternate betwen the Kate Spade tote and the I'm Still Me bag. I like the I'm Still Me, but I don't find the pockets deep enough to hold items tightly. And I still have to dig for things to some degree.

I would like and I'm Still Me or an Ella bag for spring, but I have to buy big if there's any chance of fitting items for both kids. I don't understand how people pack light. With babies, you always need spare clothes, burp cloths, etc., and with toddlers, there are sippy cups, toys, snacks, etc.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Joshua, 11/16/03

HoneymoonBaby
02-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Currently, I'm planning on getting the Loom Marsupial in moss green. I'm even thinking about getting the olive green Zippy stroller instead of navy blue to coordinate, how sad is that?

I've been looking at zillions of designer tote bags hoping to find something promising, and I've hated it all. Until I saw the Loom -- now I'm in love. I just hope I don't look too young carrying such a rugged bag -- I'm 23 and don't want to be mistaken for a teenage mom!

houseof3boys
02-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Not that many! :)

LE diaper backpack
Combi Urban Sling
Longchamps leather bag (not a diaper bag but I use it as such)
Ella on the way

Lusting for: Timbuk 2

papal
02-09-2004, 11:18 PM
I have drooled over many but closed the webpage before i hit 'Process Order'. So here is what i have so far:

1. LE Messenger Style in Burnt Orange. Hate it, love the changing pad and the little bag inside to keep wipes and stuff.
2. Black leather diaper bag from Zany Brainy. Not sure what the brand name is. Love it but does not have as many inside pockets as i would like. And its not too much fun to look at.
3. Elaine Ella which is on the way.

Do the two free diaper bags i got from the hospital count?

Rashmi
(mom to Leela, born 10.17.03)

khakismom
02-10-2004, 12:13 AM
Toni, you bad girl for making me 'fess up! :):

*Ella backpack - arriving any day now, in Palm Beach pattern, with pink twill bottom, blue piping trim, and blue interior. :)
*Fleurville Mothership (Fiesta Stripes) - Great bag for 2 kids. Great compartments and doesn't get dirty even when you rub up against the dirty car. Love the organization and room in this bag.
*Baby Trend ActivPak (black) - Wonderful bag when Ellen was little and had lots of stuff to carry. Tons of little pockets and compartments. Too much now for everyday, but I still use this when I travel. I wish it was a bit more stylish.
*LE Multiple Tot Tote (pink) - Bought this on the overstock page for $14! Great bag for when I have both kids and will be gone for a long time. TONS of room in this bag--it's huge!
*Kate Spade dipe bag (Park Stripe) - Perfect bag for one kid. No way will this hold stuff for both kids. I still use this as a purse.
*LE Little Tripper (red) - 2 editions ago, bought when it was on overstock. Not stylish enough for me IMO, so it stays in the trunk of the car filled with supplies.
*Mommy & Me tote (black) - This is a fabulous bag! I love the fabric. I love the handles (there's a long strap for over your shoulder and 2 tote handles). I love that there's 2 snaps on the side so you can snap it onto your stroller. Nice organization, and it's a perfect size. Not too big, not too small. Plus it came with a little toy and small photo album. :) (Bought it at BRU.)
*Belly Basics Mommy Tote (sage green) - Purchased when on sale, never used. Still sits in my closet, but I'm not ready to sell it. I'm convinced that someday I may want it.
*Large tote that I purchased from a local handbag designer - I'm really excited to use this. It's so cute and perfect for the spring and summer. The outside fabric is colorful disco dots, and the inside is pink gingham covered with vinyl.
*Another Ella backpack on order - Ink Spot fabric with black twill bottom, red feather trim, red interior.

I have owned and sold the Vera Bradley baby bag, Nicole Miller Messenger bag, LE Do-it-All, Kenneth Cole Messenger bag, Eddie Bauer backpack, and a Kalencom bag from Target that was a Longchamp knock-off.

As you can see, I'm simply obsessed. But it's too much fun to stop! :):):)

ETA: My Ella backpack is here!! I am working on a review and getting some pix posted! But so far I love it!! :)

Also, checking out the new LE striped dipe bag (I am nutty for stripes). It's so cute!

sbaker
02-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Uh oh...It's confession time. I am addicted to diaper bags! Here's my current collection.

Loom Marsupial in Moss Green
Kate Spade medium baby bag in Anapolis
Coach Multifunction baby bag in red
ISM medium tote
ISM medium/large tote
Tumi Expedition bag
Little Tripper in navy (2003 style)
Little Tripper in blue (2002 style)
Little Tripper in green (2001 style)
Timi & Leslie sunflower diaper bag
LL Bean microfiber tote
Eddie Bauer diaper bag
2 hospital diaper bags

Bought and returned:
Kate Spade large baby bag
Kate Spade messenger baby bag
Tumi messenger bag
Lands End backpack diaper bag
Lands End messenger diaper bag
Lands End tote diaper bag
Lands End Do-it-all (all 3 styles)
Lands End Deluxe Do-it-all

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

parkersmama
02-10-2004, 01:07 AM
I love seeing what everyone has and the comments!

I have and use regularly or have used since AG was born:
1) Bubblegum Bag-large, brown corduroy
2) local store bucket bag, yellow fairy fabric...this is a small bag that is perfect for the church nursery...holds a few dipes, wipes, a toy or two, and a cup and it's embroidered with her name...no mistaking who's it is!
3) LLBean boat tote with long handles...I keep this filled with just toys and take it in at restaurants or at my office as entertainment
4) Sally Spicer diaper bag, fiddlesticks pink
5) LE Multi-tot Tote, pink...I really only use this as a suitcase for Amy Grace whenever we take a trip

In retirement:
1) LE Do-It-All...one of the originals, dark green, used when Parker was a baby
2) LE Backpack...several iterations back, black, used when Wesley was a baby
3) LE Little Tripper...a couple of models ago, blue, used when Wesley was a toddler up until Amy Grace came along and my new girly diaper bag obsession was born!

On the way:
1) ISM backpack in Provence
2) Ella Caroline bag, but I'm really hoping to use it more as a purse, except that Lori's comments are frightening me that it'll be too large! :)

I'm sure there are others I'm not remembering! I have received and given away multiple diaper bags from the hospital and well-meaning friends who didn't have a clue what sort of diaper bag I'd want. LOL!

kathsmom
02-10-2004, 01:53 AM
Thank you for posting! Keep them coming, folks! I want to see what everyone has! My DH couldn't believe it when I told him that there were other mommies with more diaper bags than me. It is now the running joke in my family about my diaper bag obssession!

Hee, hee - Maureen, I started this post so that I could see what was in your stash! I am feeling very deprived at the moment since I don't have as many diaper bags as you and the other ladies. Unfortunately, DH doesn't understand my need for diaper bags. Sigh, I am living vicariously through each of you!

I want to get a Timbuk2 and a Loom bag. I like the looks of the Ella and the ISM, but would be concerned about fabric durability and washing it. Of course, DS is 16 months old and by the time I am able to get any of the more expensive diaper bags, he will be potty trained!

I look forward to other's responses!

Kimberly H
02-10-2004, 08:49 AM
We have:

-LE Deluxe Diaper Backpack: used as Mia's carryon in China and stays stocked in car for backup.

-LE Little Tripper (new style): DS#1 selected it as his diaper bag but uses the family one so am keeping to use as bag when Mia gets older.

-Vera Bradley Villager: planned to use as main diaper bag but isn't wide enough for me and I overstuff it. I already had this one for cross-stitching so no loss there.

-Petaluma Designs bucket bag: this is my favorite - it's my everyday bag and works great for us, except I'd trade the magnetic snap for a button/loop (see overstuffing comment above). The fabric is paperdoll Chinese clothes and perfect for my little sweetie.

Now I'm on the hunt for a great cooler bag that will hold ONE Playtex disposable bottle.

cchavez
02-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Nicole Miller diaper bag....actually is a very well organized bag but too bulky. I have only used it a few times. The attached changing pad sucks!!!
LE backpack....DH uses it....very little organization
LE Little Tripper (2003???) Very functional, great for quick trips...not attractive at all but doesn't look bad w/ workout clothes
My 3 beans....tote....very cute! vinyl...cleans up great but noooo pockets.
Ella Elaine bag....really like it so far..great everyday bag!

I think that is all I have...besides 2 hospital bags...the black Enfamil Bag is in my SUV filled w/ extras!!!

I would love a Kate Spade York bag for the Fall but I think DH is going to put an end to my diaper bag obsession....plus I have heard KS diaper bags are that great b/c they don't have any compartments. But they sure are stylish!

Andrea S
02-10-2004, 10:37 AM
I did not realize how many bags I had until now.

-LE little tripper--older version I have been using this, but it is not big enough when we are going out for day or dinner. It is not stylish at all I think I will keep it for dh when I get my new one.
-ISM backpack on its way
-OSA backpack-- I only use this when I travel it is huge.
-bubblegum bag--I got this when she first started and it is really small I used last summer for quick trips
-LE Do it all-- never use I need to sell it

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

pamela mom of 3
02-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Off the top of my head, ones that i can remember :+

LE do-it-all older one in a moss green/sage? and the newest one in orange
LE deluxe the most recent update style in a hunter green like color suppose to "go with" my MBDU
LE little trippers 3 in total, running of coarse the last 3 style changes, colors one is again that sage/moss green, one in orange and the newest is in the sky blue color
I also have several perego bags, i used to buy them to "match" my perego strollers
maclaren back pack only comes in one color silver/grey :P
chester toddler tote in cherry pattern with light blue background
i'm still me L tote in poodles

Their is more, but i'd seriously have to go through the garbage bag full i put in the basement a few months ago x(

Um, the ones i actually use are:
the ISM tote, great for 3 kids, i like all the pockets, helps me find things.

Chester toddler tote, like how it zips up, so can be turned upside down and backwards lol..good for one kid or a quick trip, has a spot to hold one sippy/bottle and will hold diapers/wipes even my wallet.

I plan on buying in the spring a ISM backpack in the tan noah ark i think it'll be nice for long outings in the summer. :D

So bottom line, i own way more than i use....

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://cmw.dailymoviereviews.com/contrib/fk/bunny.gif

cvharris
02-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Our diaper bag stash:

- ISM Large Tote - LOVE this one, I don't use it in the winter, though, in fear of it getting dirty
- Ella Lily Tote - Haven't used this one yet, it is a summer bag
- Eddie Bauer Diaper Backpack - I use this in the winter for longer trips
- Current Style Lands End Little Tripper - This is a good winter bag for quick trips
- Black Similac Hospital Diaper bag - stays in the car

Edited to add: I'm lusting after a Timbuk2 messenger bag!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

heidi_timms
02-10-2004, 03:39 PM
Wow Maureen you take the cake-LOL! That is quite a stash!

I have:

-A coach baby bag in red-used for a long time, but hate how it doesn't hold it's formed shape when stuffed

-A Bumble bag in the olive stripe floral-using this everyday now and loving the pockets and changing pad that snaps off. It's messenger style, plus backpack, which I love.

-An Amy Coe from Target in black-was only $3. Great for weekend trips to hold baby sundry items

-An ebay bucket bag in the "fashion girls" print. I currently use it for toting around toys to my parents or ILs house

-Ella backpack on the way in the Watermelon stripe

Wants:
Fleurville Alpha 7 bag in the Fiesta stripe
Petunia Picklebottom bag, not sure what style

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

KYBelle1102
02-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi all...

Fairly new to the boards, and quickly developing my stroller / diaper bag / children's clothing obsessions..

My small collection has:

**LE Little Tripper (summer '03 before the updates)-love it. Use it for the quick trips (church, short mall trips, etc) and DH uses it all the time

**LE Do it All (also Summer '03) don't use it that much, but like it for weekend trips

** Baby Innovations backpack- got on sale at BRU. Like the insulated bottle pockets but the inside is too narrow. Have to haul everything out to get to something on the bottom.

**Kelty Kids backpack-not very fashionable, but I love this bag. 3 different handle configuarations (backpack, shoulder strap, or small handles on the top) easy access zippers, deep pockets. Only complaint is no insulated bottle pockets.

I'm surfing for a real stylish one...the diaper bags.com site is great. I might have to break down and get one or three.

TTFN,
Becki
Mom to Spencer 9.2.03

JenCA
02-10-2004, 06:40 PM
I have the Kate Spade "contents" bag (black w/ green trim)and the Petunia Picklebottom sunset dragon roll toddler tote.

blnony
02-10-2004, 07:38 PM
The two I use now:
XL ISM Tote
Elaine Size Ella Bag

I like the Elaine for short trips or when I don't to super-pack. I like the ISM when I need more and plan to be out longer.

I've had:
LE Do it All
Combi Backpack
Babystyle Tote

I've decided I like bags with lighter interiors; much easier to find things. And I like the ISM and Ella's with a lot of pockets.
Right now these two are working pretty good; much better than the previous ones I've used.

RiaHannam
02-10-2004, 08:05 PM
HOLY MOLY! I am astonished at the collection some of you have! I am ROFL because I've been diaper bag obsessed since 1991 when my first was born, but felt I was the ONLY one out there (no internet, lol!) Now that I am on my 4th I've slowed way down with the obsession but still get a kick (and that nagging feeling that I need a new one)out of looking at what is available these days.

Over the years I've had (and I know I'm forgetting some):
Weebok (1992) - cavernous bag that didn't close on top (bad design!) but had lots of compartments

LE Do It All - 1994. Used it a lot actually and finally sold it somewhere for $15 in 1999.

Various totes (not designated dipe bags but used as such)

THESE days I have:

6 hospital bags (kind of my latest obsession, not sure why?)- I get them from the adoption agency I cradle for (from formula reps).

Kelty backpack (great for trips)

LE multi tot tote in green(got it for that $14 sale - I use it as Taggert's luggage bag!)

LE medium compartment zip canvas tote (don't really use this these days - has my initials on it) but I'm sure someday it will be useful again

Carters Starters black bag with teal blue trim - looks like an old do-it-all but a bit smaller. Actually this is a great bag - I used it for a couple of months then retired it for some reason..... hmmmmm??....

Carters reversible tote bag in blue ($10 special purchase gift I got this summer) I used this every day till about a week ago.

Right now I just switched to the Enfamil freebie black bag I got today..... from my black Similac bag because it was overflowing with stuff (and the Enfamil one is a tad bigger).
Boring, yet functional. That is my motto today, lol

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to raid some of your closets and basements to view your dipe-bag stash, lol!

emmiem
02-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Hi,
I have the following diaper bags:
abenbag-two different prints, love the fabric, hate the closures. Everythng falls out.
Coach tote-too heavy empty, too heavy filled
Kate Spade Diaper bag-liked when we were in bottles. Too big now. Wish straps were longer.
Kate Spade Messenger-Love it!
Petunia Picklebottom Toddler Tote-have the Black Dragon print and the Brown Peacock print. Blanking out on the names. These are in use right now. Love them. Losing a little shape from wear.
Gap Backpack-liked for a while. Too ordinary.
Michele

JamiMac
02-10-2004, 11:01 PM
I have a these:
Red Little Tripper used in Dh's car
Black Gap diaper backpack, used from birth and I'm tired of it!
Black Avent tote, like but need longer straps
Chester backpack, aqua with bugs, love this one for summer!

Just ordered a Land's End backpack, last years model, for weekend trips
Wanting to buy a Petunia Pickle Bottom Backpack

Sold:
Baby Bjorn Clamshell
Baby Bjorn Backpack
Fleurville Alpha 7

Jami with Ella, 2 years:-)

khakismom
02-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Toni, you crack me up! :) I, obviously, should stop, but I keep looking. This is the one that I have been eyeing for the past few months:

http://www.poshtots.com/pt/catalog/product_detail.asp?category_id=130&heirarchy_id=648&product_id=3657

Those Timbuk2s look fabulous--and I love how you can pick your own colors. I also found a website where you can build your own Longchamp bag too--you chose the size, color combo, handle size, and even the color of the hardware (golden, nickel, or bronze):

http://www.eboutiquelongchamp.com/catalog/index_en.php

I am intrigued! And I forgot to mention that I ordered yet another Ella backpack (in red, black and white) and it's currently being created.

I definitely need a 12-step program. }(

kathsmom
02-11-2004, 01:14 AM
Maureen,

I love that green silk bag at poshtots! It is just beautiful! I also love the longchamp build your own bag. I bought a Longchamp bag at Nordstrom to use as a diaper bag when DS was a few weeks old(black microfiber with black leather handles), but DH refused to carry it. I don't think it helped that when he put it on his shoulder to see if it would fit I died laughing. It did look really silly, because it was stuck in his armpit. I guess I got my punishment, because I returned the bag.

I agree - I think we should have some kind of 12 step program! However, I am not quite ready to change my ways yet! And I think admitting that I have a problem is the first step towards recovery!LOL!

I want pictures of your Ella bags when they come in! Let me know if you get the one from poshtots!

the5howards
02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Okay I have been collection diaper bags since 1996. I have way too many.

1. Sally spicer diaper bag in dragonfly wine
2. Chester Faces Diaper Bag
3. LE Dia from 1997
4 LE Little tripper 2000
5. LE Tote that i use as a diaper bag for Church
6. Handmade Green Toile I got as a baby gift
7. Gap Ultimate Backpack (the one with the messenger strap)
8. LE Little tripper backpack 2001
9. Just ordered and need to go pick up Alpha 7 in Red Canvas
10. About to order Loom Marsupial probably in black.

Ones that I have had and sold
1 Coach multi function Twill hamptons bag
2. Vera bradley baby bag
3 LE DIA 2001
4 Le back pack two different years
5 Vera bradley Villager
6 Nicole miller messenger bag
7 Nine west messenger bac
8. Several ebay handmade toile totes
9. Maclaren bowling tote
10 Kenneth cole Hacky Sack Tote both large an small sizes.

Chrissy Mama to A (6) , A (4) and H (1)

tarheelmom
02-11-2004, 05:50 PM
OK, here's what I can remember - I have too many, as my dh would be happy to tell you!

Babystyle Un-Diaper bag in black
Traditional Combi black bag
Black Similac hospital freebie
Deluxe Do-it-all Lands End in blue
2 ISM XL backpacks
Gap large toile diaper bag

Of course, I have numerous tote bags that I sometimes use for baby stuff as well.

I have never once used the Similac bag or the Combi. The Babystyle bag I used for a while, but haven't used it in ages. I only use the LE bag for travel. My absolute faves are the ISM backpacks. I use a red toile one now, and have a tan toile one for this spring/summer. Once I got those, I haven't lusted after any others. Although I've been tempted by the Ellas... :)

Carmen
Mom to Ryan and Seth

kathsmom
02-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Thank you all for posting your collections and what you like/dislike about the bags. This was fun! At least I know that I am not alone in my obssession!

Anyone else care to tell us about your collection?

TraciG
02-12-2004, 01:18 PM
we have it also, I hate that the basket is so small & their are no cupholders !!!!!!!!!!!!

TraciG
02-12-2004, 01:33 PM
never heard of it. I only have a bubblegum bag so far, I wouldn't ever get a canvas bag again because it is so dirty & hard to clean ! I love the pockets but the middle part isn't big enough, that's where I keep my wallet, changing pad, extra clothes & the formula can.

kathsmom
02-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Traci,

If you go to www.timbuk2.com you can see the messenger bags. Sarah (mamahill) got one and will be posting pictures for us to see. The website even has an interactive feature where you can "build your bag" to see what it will look like. Sarah (nohomama) and Beth (egoldber) both have Timbuk 2 bags. I think Jessica (calmegja2) also has one.

Is your bubblegum bag made of canvas? I remember you were trying to decide which fabric to get, but I can't remember which you chose. What size did you get?

HTH!

ppshah
02-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Which year do you have? The newer versions have a cupholder/tray for the child and a parent pack which can hold keys/bottles of water for the parent. For the the most part I really like it- my only complaint is I wish I could fold/open it one handed. I agree that the basket is small but I went for lightweight/compact rather than all the "deluxe features" I'm only 5'2" so it's great for me!!! I also travel light.

TraciG
02-12-2004, 05:07 PM
black toile & gingham, I think the material is canvas, I think vinyl would be more practical not as pretty but it would look much cleaner !

myllam
02-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Yikes, my obsession is definitely diaper bags. DS is 2-1/2 now and I work full time, so I don't really need the bigger bags that I've had and tried.

Currently in use:

1. small backpack purse from Nordstrom by Caslon in black microfiber - contains 2 main zippered areas. 1 is large enough for my wallet and has a zippered compartment for my stuff (lipstick, etc.) and another slit pocket for receipts and stuff). The 2nd zippered area fits 2 diapers, travel diaper case and a disposable huggies changing mat. It also has 2 smaller pockets for DS's other things (crayon, small handkerchief, tissue). Then the purse also has a smaller outside snap pocket that holds my keys and cell phone.

2. Kelty Kids backpack - love this. Lots of pockets. This is in use for traveling and day long trips.

3. Gap Chambray tote - use this for weekend day outings. Goes great with Jeans. Love the many pockets.

4. Handmade tote bag off of Ebay. light blue, has a picture of a Polar bear and a cub. Cute!

5. safeline kids backpack - loved the pockets and was a good size
for when DS was going through more diapers. Has a detachable
parent pocket which is nice for working parents.

6. 3 hospital bags - 1 in DS's car (black similac), 1 at
daycare (enfamil), 1 in my car (enfamil)

In my collection, but will probably sell:

1. Gap '01 ultimate backpack/messenger - used this only for a short time, but loved this. Only problem is it is bigger then I needed since I tend to pack light.

2. Gap '03 ultimate backpack - bought this on a whim on a out of town shopping spree in December. Great looking bag, but I absolutely
did not need to add this to my existing collection :)

3. Another one of the Gap Chambray Totes - was going to be a gift, but decided giving diaper bags as a gift is a bad idea considering how hard it was for me to find something I liked :)

Diaper bags I'ved tried and returned or sold:
1. combi sling - bulky when loaded
2. advent backpack - material too stiff
3. nine west backpack - material too stiff
4. lands end do it all (from 2years ago). - too big
5. Kenneth Cole messenger diaper bag (material too slick, things
kept slipping out).
6. eddie bauer messenger diaper bag (too small)
7. babies alley diaper backpack - not enough pockets
8. samsonite diaper backpack - material too stiff
9. nicole miller messenger - too big
10. belly basics tote - loved it, cute, but I had too many diaper
bags at the time.

Currently eyeing:
1. Petunia Pickle Bottom Toddler Tote - fell in love with the
shrimp roll and advocado roll fabrics.
2. timbuk2 bag. Saw this on someone at the airport last week and it
was cool. Only problem is I can't decide what color combination
to get, so I'll probably end up not ordering it. I would get the
Paris one in an instant if I could get a center divider added...

Imperia
02-13-2004, 05:50 AM
I am amazed I only have one diaper bag ATM...

Petunia Picklebottom Shrimp Roll backpack style. Got it on Ebay for a heck of a deal ($95.00 brand new with tags). It was the only diaper bag line my husband and I both liked. I like it a lot, holds a lot of stuff. It might be large for some folks though. I get tons of compliments on it (even the RN in the hospital was oooing over it lol). It is kind of annoying to use when I carry the baby around in her sling, but I assume any bag would be in this case.

Ohhhhh, I forgot I got a freebie Similac bag at the hospital, haven't even opened it up. I suppose I could keep it in the car for emergencies.

Imperia

JennyA
02-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Great list!!!! Should be a help to soon-to-be mommies and other diaperbagaholics! I went straight from the hospital freebie to an I'mStillMe large tote. Happened to hear about them from a friend. Since then I've gotten an ISM backpack too. I mix them up depending one what I am wearing and use them as my purse to. For overnight and weekend trips I have a humungous LL Bean zip up tote for the babe's wardrobe.(Large LOL)

jenny
mom to sheila who is now so big!!!

LD92599
02-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Better late than never, right?! Here’s my diaper bag stash:

Jansport Backpack
I bought this before DS was born knowing I was a backpack kind of person…well, returned it shortly after DS arrived as I quickly realized it had TOO many compartments, was too dark inside (biggest pet peeve of bags and purses!) and was just took big.

2 off brand mini backpacks
Rec’d both free w/ car test drives, so one resides in each truck as a spare w/ the stuff we might need but don’t need to be carrying everywhere!

Free Pampers Black bag
Rec’d this free w/ purchasing diapers in the grocery store..liked it for a week, fit perfectly in the maclaren basket..handles too short though.

Eddie Bauer Cinch Sak/Backpack
Used this a lot…it’s red, one big bag. Just one big compartment…I’ll figure out eventually what I like and don’t like!

Belly Basics Mommy Tote
Used for several weeks ~ loved the idea of the changing pad and diapers/wipes being in the separate section below. Loved the pink interior (it was black exterior w/ pink interior) for finding stuff. Just sold it through swap for..

Ella Backpack
I’ve got the Ella in the Nova Check (LOVE it!) w/ Vinyl, mommy pouch, matching changing pad, paci pouch and key loop. I haven’t used it too much…but like it so far! I like the pockets (6) and that my wallet (on a string!) fits in the center area.

So…a little background. I work FT and DH is a SAHD…he usually doesn’t take a diaper bag, then again, doesn’t really go anywhere w/ DS except for lunchtime over to my office..and the spare is always in the trunk just in case! The diaper bag obsession is all mine..and strollers..and everything else!

Laura
mom to William

tigalig
02-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi again. I'm still amazed that there are others who love diaper bags too! And to think I almost ended up buying another ho hum one.

LE - classic do it all (when I thought I needed to take everything with me everywhere)

LE - little tripper (2001 version) - great for quick runs, but not big enough to hold "my" stuff too

PLUS two or three other nameless bags that I never used that I have donated to our good will

One tote bag from heartandseoul.com - I think the design is called "Children of the World." I absolutely love the design on this bag (because our children are adopted internationally), just wish I could sew pockets in it!

Ida
(now addicted too, thanks to all of you and your great descriptions of diaper bags out there)

jerseygirl07067
03-01-2004, 05:18 PM
I loved your post! I have become quite the lurker on the diaper bag board just to get ideas on bags for myself. I was amazed at how many bags people have but when I started doing my own inventory I realized that I have quite a few myself!! So here I am to fess up...

CURRENTLY OWN:

Nine West mini shopper baby tote (found this one at TJ Maxx for a cool $29 bucks) and LOVE the size, but want something that I could be hands free with. One of the straps sometimes falls off my shoulder. I use this one all the time right now.

Nicole Miller messenger bag - plan on using later for longer trips and when DD may be into more toys, needing food snacks, etc. I just bought it on e-bay.

Eddie Bauer backpack - I thought it was so cool initially, used it for about a week but it is hard to find things in it, and since I pack light this was annoying! It also has a bulky feel to it, even when empty.

Eddie Bauer Messenger Bag - a gift, will probably save it for long vacations, though I HATE the black interior. I may return it and get a Lands End Do it all for this purpose.

Straw tote bag from Target with blue pinstripe lining. It was only 16.99 and I may use it during the summer. Not a diaper bag but has two compartments and an inner zippered compartment. (Or I may return it and just buy myself a bathing suit!!)

Four freebies from the hospital and pediatrician's office. In fact when I was interviewing some pediatricians, they were just giving them out. I plan on using them as a bag for Grandma's house and the baby sitter.

BOUGHT AND RETURNED:

LE day tripper - didn't like the way it looked. Great size, just wanted something more stylish.

Undiaper bag from Babystyle - too big

Combi Urban Sling - cool looking, but still kind of a black hole effect. It seemed big looking for what it can actually hold.

I am considering:

The LA Sling Elegance backpack by Samsonite. It can be worn sling style or as a backpack and doesn't look too big, just about medium size. It is on the diaperbags.com website but I am not sure what the interior looks like. Hopefully it will solve the hands free problem. Could not find many comments on this bag.

An Ella tote or backpack in the Cabana stripe pattern. Maybe. It looks so cool for summer but I'm learning that I'm not a huge fan of totes, and may consider the backpack style.

**I just have to laugh at my own diaper bag obsession! I never even really carried a purse, just kind of a wallet on a string thigamajig. It seems that now that I am a mama I am paranoid about becoming one of those frumpy women I see out and about from time to time. And I definitely hated to shop before, But now - all that has changed. Maybe I am starting to have too much time on my hands...until I return to work in one month :)

Mary