PDA

View Full Version : Timbuk2 pictures - Finally!

mamahill
02-12-2004, 05:29 PM
All right, I'm reporting in. Just took the pictures and on my screen the colors look pretty accurate, but just for a point of reference, I threw in the Field's Book (the version from a couple years ago, though).

The strap is about 2 inches wide and very sturdy. My colors are silver-mint-gray, in cordura. I opted to color the logo silver, something I am VERY glad I did since the yellow totally sticks out. I didn't have a choice on the strap pouch, but I'm ok with that. The mint is more of a dusty mint, than a bright mint, in my opinion. Also, when I first opened the box and saw the color on the right, I thought, "Wow, that black looks washed out." Duh, then I realized I had ordered GRAY. I am very pleased with my selection.

The second picture shows the pouch, which I usually use to store keys and sometimes my sunglasses. The third picture shows the front when it's open - notice there's a little pocket, and a little zippered pocket. I keep a packet of Elmo snacks there:). The fourth shows what the inside looks like. I've opened the middle pouch there - another must, and I'm so glad people here recommended it. Inside I keep a wipes pouch, her diaper cream, and some Purell. In the back section I keep diapers, a changing pad (which I'm going to take out because it's puffy, and use the disposable ones I've seen), and a light jacket for Ainsleigh. The 5th picture is a view of the inside from the other direction. I closed the inside pouch, so you could see the difference. And finally, the last picture is a detailed pic of what I call the "mommy section." I even labeled some of it so you can see. In that front part, but not in the mommy section, I keep my wallet, a take&toss cup of crackers, Ainsleigh's sketch pad, and whatever miscellaneous stuff I throw in at the last minute.

I don't have a cell phone, but I think I would definitely get a cell phone holder if I did have one. The strap pouch (and most accessories, I think) can be added or taken off at any time, thank you velcro. The ballistic fabric has a bit more of a sheen to it, but I chose cordura for the fabric choices;). Also, notice the silver inside - that's a lining so it stays waterproof, so even though ballistic is said to be more waterproof, the truth is that cordura is just as good, unless you're going swimming, in which case I don't think either will keep those diapers dry.

Oh, there's also another strap that clips on one side of the bag and then goes across your body, to the large strap, but it's mostly for messengers, or people who need to stabilize their bag better. and the white things hanging off the bottom are reflectors. At first I thought I'd take them off, but now I really dig them. Plus, it's nice to have when you're coming out of somewhere at dusk or dark.

I hope that covers everything. If you have any questions, let me know. I can't tell you how much I love this bag!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2556.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2557.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2558.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2559.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2560.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2561.jpg

mamahill
02-12-2004, 05:29 PM
I forgot to mention that I have the small bag. Ok, now I'm finished.

smomom
02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
That is AWESOME!!!! Thank you so much!!!! Maybe I can have some colors picked out in time to make this an anniversary present for myself! (that gives me a couple of months - it will take at least that long to make a decision :))

Thanks so much for going to all of that trouble. It really helps to see it in use.

sbjf
02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Great pics and review, it was worth the wait!

I've been planning on the Loom Marsupial but I will also seriously consider this bad boy, too!

Thanks!!

kathsmom
02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Sarah,

Thanks so much for the review! The bag looks awesome! Is the pouch in the second picture attached to the strap? If so, is it removable?
Are those cloth diapers in the bag? I am now using cloth wipes with Andrew (he has become very sensitive to the Huggies wipes) and I would need room for the cloth wipes and a little wet bag.

You were supposed to post a picture modeling it for us! I usually can't visualize a size unless someone is holding it!LOL!

Thanks again for the review! My anniversary is in May - maybe I can ask for one then!

MariFP
02-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am just in love with this bag!!
The pics are great.

Melanie
02-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Thank you for the photos & review! I can't believe that is the *small* one! I had always looked at the medium, but that looks plenty large.

mamahill
02-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Yes, the pouch is removable (attaches by velcro) - it slides along the strap, so you can have it on either end. At first I thought I wanted it to stay at my sternum, and was s little bummed when it slid, but now I'm glad it does that.

No (sheepish look), those aren't cloth diapers - but that would be one reason I'd ditch the puffy changing pad - so I COULD have room for the cds. Generally, if I'm going to be gone long enough that a diaper change is in order, then I throw in an AIO or something, but if she's going to grandma's or a babysitter's, then I pack disposables. You would definitely have room for both the cds and the wet bag, I'm sure, I keep a huggies wipes case with me, but if I'm in a restroom where it's feasible, I just wet a paper towel and use that.

And about the modeling :) - Ainsleigh isn't so good with a camera, and since I woke up with ears aching, congestion, and a headache, it was one of those wash&go days and, prideful that I am, I'm not posting pics of what I look like today:D. How's this for imagery: it's about as wide as my a$$ - lol!

mamahill
02-12-2004, 07:04 PM
I think it was Beth who either said she had the medium and would have got the small, or that she had the small. In any event, I have the LE Little Tripper and wanted something a little bigger, but not gargantuan, and Beth and maybe Lori (can't recall now) recommended the small. Good move because it is plenty big. I can fit loads of stuff in there if I really pack it in. And if I can't fit something in, then I know I'm packing too much!

parkersmama
02-13-2004, 12:00 AM
Gee, thanks. Another bag for me to lust after! Dh is going to croak. LOL! It's beeeeaaa-uuuuuu-ti-ful!

So, the small is bigger than your little tripper? Also, folks, don't be fooled...I've seen lots of pics of Sarah and her a$$ ain't all that big! :) (How's that for a compliment? LOL!)

mamahill
02-13-2004, 12:14 PM
LOL - thanks (I think)! Yes, the small is definitely bigger than the LT. Not a LOT bigger, but I was having trouble taking an extra set of clothes and cloth diapers when we go to my parents' Sunday night. Now it's not such a problem. On the site they do a fairly good job of describing the bags. I think the Medium is likened (in size) to a regular school backpack. I believe dimensions are on there as well. I can't imagine WHO needs the Bolo, but it's funny to think that DH could carry me around in it (mental note). Here's the sizing chart:
http://www.timbuk2.com/chart.t2

Melanie
02-13-2004, 12:27 PM
BTW, nice touch using the book we all have as a size reference.

slknight
02-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Wow! I love it. Thanks for posting all the pics. I've been thinking of ordering one, and you just swayed me!

Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

egoldber
02-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Sigh! Lusting after your beautful colors and that middle divider. That is a DEFINITE must have!!!

MinewasabargainMinewasabargainMinewasabargainMinew asabargain....

I have the medium and definitely holds a lot. I actually use the chest straps all the time. I think its perfect for when your toddler is walking and you want to keep thebag from slipping around while you run after them! LOL! And it makes a big difference when you are wearing the bag for a long time.

jec2
02-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Beth,
Do you have pics of the bigger model that you can share. We are in the market for something bigger than the Combi US and maybe the medium (el ocho?) is it. I have the baby out some days 3-6 hours and need to pack for him as well as me (lunch, wallet, et al.). I am a spatial-orientation moron so I need pics. I'd love to see it packed and on body if possible (please please please) :)

jjj
02-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Great colors - soooooo summery! jj

sarahfran
02-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Sarah,
Yes, thanks for posting. I've been eagerly awaiting the photos. The colors you chose look so great together. I'm very tempted. We have a LT and I think this would be a perfect step up.

I noticed on the T2 website that they said the ballistic "won't pill your clothes" as if to say that the cordura would. Do you think that would be a risk? I prefer the sheen-less cordura, but became concerned about it being abrasive on my clothes. What do you think?

By the way, for anyone else thinking about ordering, don't forget that at gearguys.com you can get 10% off any T2, free shipping, and a free strap pad.

>sigh< now for the color choice!

Thanks again for posting all the great photos, Sarah!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

Calmegja2
02-14-2004, 09:36 AM
I have no clue about the pilling, but my red T2 isn't noticeably shiny.

I actually thought it would be shinier than it it, but it's not.

I love mine. I got stopped twice yesterday and asked where I got it, so that made me feel hip. And I've been using it on my MBUS, which is red, and it looks like it was made to go there....

Well, as hip as one can be with four small children, that is.....;-)

mamahill
02-14-2004, 05:59 PM
LOL - you ARE hip!! I bet you look ab fab with the bag and your MB. I'm sure the only reason you aren't stopped by more people is because they are intimidated by you:).

I think the Ballistic might be a little smoother, but I'm thinking the pilling might only be an issue if you're extremely active with the bag - hiking, running, doing messenger-like stuff? For regular outings I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

Honestly, the shinier/pilling part didn't really concern me as much as the color options (sheepish grin). I wanted the mint, and it isn't available in ballistic.

And I know you can order the bag elsewhere, but do they customize it for you? If they offer a color scheme you like, then go for it. But, again, my picky nature allowed for the extra $$ (and I live in California, so I had to pay sales tax). Whatever, I don't regret it in the least!!

Calmegja2
02-14-2004, 06:13 PM
>LOL - you ARE hip!! I bet you look ab fab with the bag and
>your MB. I'm sure the only reason you aren't stopped by more
>people is because they are intimidated by you:).
>

Ladies and gentlemen, meet my new best friend! LOL! ;-)

I love the bag you picked out, the colors are amazing together...and you've got it stuffed much like I do.

I was picky enough that I had to go custom, too. I just wanted it to be what I wanted it to be. When I did DH's bag last June, I got a kick out of picking everything out for him, and I did the same for me.

So, although it's a little boring to just be red, it's exactly what I want on the inside, and with the extras....

etwahl
02-14-2004, 10:03 PM
sarah, when you say small ( i just found the web site) do you mean the metro mini messenger?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

sarahfran
02-15-2004, 01:26 AM
You can do custom through the gear guys site. I haven't done it, but I see that they offer custom with the same deal. BUT who knows what hassle one might run into in dealing with a third party. Going straight to the source ensures you of getting what you want.

Thanks for the pilling/shiny input. I noticed that you couldn't get the interior divider add-on with the ballistic... enough to make me go cordura. And I >ahem< don't think I'll be exerting myself tooooo much when using the bag, so I'm unlikely to work up much friction.

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

Calmegja2
02-15-2004, 09:14 AM
I have an interior divider with the ballistic, and so does my husband, is it just GearGuys that won't add that on? I love the interior pouch. It's a great addition to have, and helps me keep things separated. DH uses his as a wet clothes holder when he goes to the gym. I've got mine filled with bibs, wipes, crayons, coloring pages....

I have the PeeWee size, by the way, which is what it looks like MamaHill has, as well. The MetroMessenger is too small for what I wanted to use it for. I think.

nohomama
02-15-2004, 09:51 AM
I'll try and post pics of my T2 El Ocho (medium sized) bag later today. At some point I'd like to order a PeeWee. I love my bag but for a light packer, it's pretty ginormous.

mamahill
02-15-2004, 11:56 AM
No - sorry - I mean the PeeWee. It's under Messenger bags, not Small bags. And I used the "build your own bag" feature. A little pricier, but as I've said, I didn't care (wow, that makes me sound so financially UN-caring, which soooo isn't true!). And I am so glad that's what I did. Also, I'll rationalize that it's a store here in SF so I'm supporting the local economy:).

Oh, and from what I can tell, it's constructed and sewn REALLY well. Sheesh, you'd think I was in love, the way I go on and on and on...

mamahill
02-15-2004, 12:01 PM
>Ladies and gentlemen, meet my new best friend! LOL! ;-)

Oh, can you imagine how HOT we would look with our bags, strolling down the sidewalk?! LOL. I love the idea of a red bag & stroller, but having been blessed (cursed?) with pretty bright red hair, I shy away from anything in the warm shades:).

And, btw, I checked out your pictures and your kids are absolutely ADORABLE!! Is that Meg with the glasses? Good heavens, I would just eat her up!! And was that you pulling the wagon? You DO look fabulous - add that fantastic bag AND that you're a mother of 4 and, well, we've all got a lot to live up to!:)

bubbaray
02-15-2004, 04:43 PM
I have the T2 El Ocho, which I purchased a year ago from Title 9 Sports as a gym bag. I have to say that this bag is HUGE!!! I would consider using it for a weekend away diaper bag, but I really think it would be far too big for my use for a diaper bag.

I'm considering either the Pee Wee or the Metro Messenger. I also have the LE new Little Tripper and the LE new Do It All (which I also think is too big for daily use and don't get me started on those dang "shoulder" straps!).

Oh yes, I have all these bags and I haven't had this baby yet! :) I am a "bag hound" and the whole diaper bag thing gives me a new excuse to shop!

Melissa

crl
02-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I love this bag! Thank you so much for sharing pictures and such an extensive review!

Catherine (33)
dh James (32)
Barker (local)
WHFC (China)
dtc 10/20/03
logged in 10/22/03

etwahl
02-15-2004, 07:30 PM
i just can't get it in my head exactly how big this bag is (even though i know the dimensions)...i was hoping to see a person carrying it, namely you :) come on sarah, we already know how gorgeous you are, pretty please?!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Calmegja2
02-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Sarah,

You are too sweet!

That's Meg with the glasses. She's eat her up adorable most days, and then she has those "I'm completely four years old" days thrown in there to keep us guessing.... ;-)

papal
02-16-2004, 11:16 PM
GORGEOUS!!! That is one sharp looking bag!!
Arrgghh.. just signed up for the Loom co-op.. now i want a T2 co-op tooo!!! I am becoming a diaper bag junkie! Must pry my fingers away from the computer.

kkb99
02-27-2004, 12:33 AM
Thank you for this great post of the Timbuk2! It is so informative and helpful! A few questions for you- you say something about being in SF. How easy is it to find them in stores there? It looks like (from the Timbuk 2 site) that they are sold in a lot of shops there. I am going to SF March 7, and would really like to have a new bag for the trip and am currently debating this one, the Loom, the LE redone little tripper and leaning towards this one after reading this post! Was wondering how feasible waiting and buying one there would be.

The other thing I'm wondering is what of all these features are the ones you added on? I was a bit confused about that when I was on their website. I like having compartments to separate and hopefully be able to find the stuff- esp stuff like my keys, wallet, cell phone, PDA. Can't stand when they fall to the bottom of the bag, won't fit in the designated compartment, or could fall out.

Thanks for your input!

Oh, what made you decide on a Timbuk2 vs a Loom?

Kristen

mamahill
02-27-2004, 07:05 PM
Well, LOL, now I'm drooling over that new Loom bag. But honestly, the Loom is a big too "pretty" for me. I can't afford to have lots of different bags, so I've got to pick the one that is the most practical for me. And seriously, the Timbuk2 fits that bill. If I could have my way, I'd have one of each (T2 and Loom), but I think I'd rather save the money:). Now, on to your questions...

I ended up getting mine from their site because I custom-designed it. I haven't actually seen the bag in a store, but I also haven't looked for it. I've been on a self-imposed shopping strike lately in an attempt to be miserly;). But, depending on where in the Bay Area you will be staying, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to track one down. Especially if you're going to be IN SF, since that's where they are headquartered. And, depending on where you are, I could meet up with you and show you mine!

I added in the center divider (it's a pouch, but it divides the inside in half, and then gives you a closeable pouch in the middle), a strap pouch (for keys, sunglasses, cc, whatever), and switched it to a lefty - I'm actually right handed, but I guess you'd say I'm goofy-shouldered;). Oh, and I paid to have the logo in silver, as opposed to the (free) gold. It was $5, but totally worth it, I think. If I had a cell phone, I probably would have got the cell phone holder. You could put the PDA in the strap pouch and still have room for keys, depending on how huge your key ring is. The zippered pockets towards the front (where you can see my lipstick, etc.) probably has room for your PDA too. I guess I would hesitate to put too many add-ons onto your strap. I just toss my wallet into the bag - it's a baby blue, so easy to pick out.

Oh, and the only other suggestion I would make is that if you live out of state, you could order it online and save on the tax. If you're in CA you'd have to pay 8.25%, although you'd have to pay the $6 shipping...

wendinbill
02-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Hi! After Mamahill's great pictures, I too just HAD to have one!! I copied & ordered the same bag. I just received it today (SUPER fast shipping-ordered Saturday-rec'd today!!) I can't say enough about it. The Pee Wee is DEFINITELY large enough. I have 4 diapers, wipes, changing pad, change of clothes (in that center pouch) toys, travel size baby wash & lotion, washcloth, anti-bac. gel, chapstick, mints, nursing pads, my wallet, vaccine schedule, cell phone, sunglasses, checkbook & keys. I LOVE all the pockets!!!! It's absolutely amazing. Now I don't have to carry a seperate purse anymore! What a wonderful thing.

Mamahill-one question. What are those clip on reflector things? My husband said they are just probably for bike messengers-I'm assuming that's correct? Also that other strap-is that for around the waist? Pardon my ignorance! lol

mamahill
02-27-2004, 11:30 PM
LOL - I'm so glad you like the bag, but I asked the EXACT same questions when I emailed Timbuk2. I'll copy and paste the email so you can see:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 2:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: questions about my order (invoice 173376)

Hi! I received my bag today and first let me say that it is fanTAStic!! I love it already and can’t wait for my toddler to wake up so we can go out with it. But I do have a couple questions.

Call me a messenger bag virgin or whatever, but what is the strap that is attached to the side of the bag, and then
velcroed to the main strap for? And the clip-in white/clear tags with the Timbuk2 logo on them (there’s 2)? Just for funsies?

Thank you for a most superb bag,

Sarah
----REPLY---
Hi Sarah,

Glad to hear that you like your new bag. We hope it gets you through lots of adventures with your toddler.

The strap that you're wondering about is a called a "cross strap." To wear the bag, place the main strap over one shoulder. If you want even more stability, then clip the cross strap so that it goes from one of the bottom corners of the bag, up to the main strap. Takes a little getting used to, but they're great!

The reflector tails are for keeping you safe at night.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Best,
Brian Jennings
Ecommerce Manager
www.timbuk2.com

I thought I might take the reflector tags off (since I don't do a lot of night-stuff), but then I decided they looked cool. And DH liked that if I *was* out at night and wearing it, drivers would be able to see me. I did take off the cross-strap, but Beth (egoldber) has said that she likes hers - makes running after a toddler easier since it stabilizes the bag. HTH! Glad you like it!!

kkb99
02-28-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks so much for the answers! I am so glad I found out for sure that the center divider is an add on, because that's one of the things I really liked about it in your pics/description. I was wary of having more than one pouch on the strap, as you alluded to, and actually wonder if having that pouch on there would bother me? I think I might pick one, so I guess I'll have to decide on the strap pouch vs the cell phone pouch.

Do you pretty much have to wear it on the shoulder its made for? I am actually not sure which shoulder I'd want it on! I think I might be shoulder mixed up like you said!

I love the dark purple and black one! I am such a purple lover. Not sure if I'd want the logo to be black (on the purple) or the gold on the purple, they both look nice on the website.

I am now thinking I need to just buck it up and go to SF with my current bags and really think about this and make sure I get the bag I want. I can't really afford to get more than one bag, and truthfully I'm the type that needs to have just one back. Otherwise, I'd have 2 bags half packed and never exactly what I need! Besides, I don't know if I could order and recieve a new bag in time (leaving next Sunday, Mar 7). How long did it take for you to get yours? We'll be staying in SF, Union Square area in the Serrano (hope its nice, sure costs a fortune!) since my husband is going to conferences in the Moscone Conv. Center. There are several stores listed on the Timbuk2 site on Market St, but I doubt they are going to have the purple with the middle pocket, etc, so looks like I'll have to order one. Thanks for pointing out that I won't have to pay sales tax, that'll make me feel fine about paying shipping!

Again, thanks for the info!
Kristen

wendinbill
02-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Thanks Sarah!! You are a wealth of information. My DH also liked the idea that I could be seen at night...not sure how often I'd be out at night with DS, but hey, ya never know!! lol I will play around with the other strap..seems more hassle then it's worth!

I ordered my bag last Saturday afternoon, it was in my hot little hands by Friday afternoon. So, almost a week. Actually it shipped out that Monday, but since I'm in Ohio, and it shipped from CA-that took some time. Since you are close, you will receive it much sooner!!!

mamahill
03-01-2004, 08:29 PM
You can still go to the stores to check out the colors in person, and try the bags on. I don't think it matters what "shouldered" you are - I got mine switched, but it hasn't affected it at all. I think it's just for the length adjuster thing (hard to describe). I like having the strap pouch and it just slides down the strap, so a cell phone holder might be fine with the pouch. I got my bag in 4 days, maybe? But I'm right here, so maybe that's why. Oh, and the cell phone and strap pouches are velcroed on, so you could add/subtract how ever you want.

Oh, and yeah - you're staying in a pretty nice area. Union Square is great - have fun!

newmommah2004
03-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi mamahill..yes thank you for the wealth of info and pics. Just wondering, is it very easy to hang this bag off a stroller?

That seems to be the one defining feature that DH would like to have and which may sway our decision to the SkipHop bag.

Have you compared the PeeWee with the SkipHop?

Thanks again,
Susana

Calmegja2
03-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Not Mamahill, but I've got the T2, and I routinely hang it off my stroller (I also hang my Little Tripper). It has this cool quick release strap which lets you adjust the strap length on the fly, which makes it a breeze to hang it on your stroller, then take it off, and put it back on you.

I can hang it on the Pliko, the Zooper, the MB, the Mac....handle style makes no difference.

mamahill
03-03-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree with Jessica - it's a breeze to hang over the stroller handles, and the strap is easy to shorten/lengthen (almost TOO much fun). I haven't compared the T2 to the SkipHop, but the T2 is super easy. Good luck with your decision!