PDA

View Full Version : I need some help/suggestions for new diaper bags...

etwahl
02-14-2004, 09:02 PM
i haven't really carried a diaper bag much since lauren was born. i kept it in the car yes, but never really carried it around much. we have the gap diaper backpack and it's huge and not convenient, but it's always in the car. we also have the combi urban sling but i have never really gotten into using it.

i need something new for summer, and to fit lauren's new older status. e.g. sippy cup, snacks, whatever else i'll need. nothing huge, because i'll always keep the big backpack most likely in the car.

any suggestions? i like a stylish look.

i was reading a bit (haven't been here probably since she was born) about the timbuk 2 and ella bags. i found the ella bags web site but not the timbuk 2. and also, what styles of these is everyone ordering? are there any others i should consider?

also, what do you all do when you go to the beach? which we plan to do a lot this summer.

thank you so much for suggestions. wading through all these posts about diaper bags i've never heard of has my head hurting a lot...it doesn't help that our cable modem is SOOOOOOO slow tonight.

ETA: it looks like there will be a sale on ella bags in march - what's the discount? what style did most people buy, and what accessories? what was your final cost?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

elvisfan
02-15-2004, 12:26 AM
Hi Tammy
Originally, I wanted an I'm Still Me bag-and I might still get one-but I actually bought one off ebay that had the ISM look but not the price tage. For some reason I can't post it here, but it's red toile. Really pretty.
Seriously, you can find a lot of beautiful bags on ebay.

parkersmama
02-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Tammy,
The website for Timbuk2 is www.timbuk2.com . It has a cool "build your own bag" feature that allows you to customize your bag and see it online.

The Timbuk2 and Ella bags are about as different as you can get from each other! If you like the Ellas, you would also possibly like the I'm Still Me bags: www.imstillme.com . Also, seaching for diaper bags on eBay like Mary was mentioning. Another place for fabric diaper bags is www.bubblegumgbags.com but I think she's on bedrest right now and the store is closed for a while.

If you like the Timbuk2 bags, you might also like the Loom Marsupial bag. I can't remember the website but search for posts on it...should be one in the last few days. There are lots of other bags that are similar to these. I would even put some of the Lands' End ones in this category in that they are made from cordura fabric and have that un-diaper bag look about them.

The best bags I've found for going to the beach are *mesh*. This way, everything *but* the sand stays in! Also, toys and so forth dry quickly because the air can flow through. We have a huge mesh bag from the Disney store that isn't stylish whatsoever but works great for the beach.

HTH!

etwahl
02-15-2004, 09:21 AM
denise, thanks for responding! you're right about the loom marsupial. i love it! i think i'm more drawn to messenger style bags, because i like the idea of it "staying put". with bending down and such, i'm not sure if a tote style would.

how do others carry and wear their totes? do you find it stays put okay?

also, it looks like the timbuk 2 and loom marsupial would stay clean easier because of the fabric whereas the ella and ISM bags are fabric and more difficult to clean. is this true?

i definitely like the functionality of messengers more, but i'm also drawn to the cute looks of the other totes i mentioned. but at the same time, since i never carry one, i don't know! i'd like to use one for summer, especially since i'll probablay have lots of clothes that don't have pockets.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

csa12
02-15-2004, 02:01 PM
I have been on the lookout for a stylish messenger bag too and found these that may fit the bill for you. Check out the Bumble bag diaper bags at www.babyoliverboutique.com. They are messenger style and have cute prints. Another place with cute bags is www.tuttibella.com.
HTH,
Cheryl

edited to correct website address

cchavez
02-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Tammy, the timbuk 2 bags look great! I have a new Ella and love it. There should be another discount in march.....why not get both????

heidi_timms
02-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Someone above mentioned the Bumble bags. I love it, but it's a little big. I did at first had the smaller one and had to return it due to defects and they didn't have any more so I got the larger. The changing pad is really cool because the front of the bag under the flap zips down and the pad snaps out. It also has two side pockets for cell phones and such. The inside has four deep, wide pockets, two under the flap and two inside. I really like the messenger style. It can be worn as a backpack, but definitely has to be on both shoulders due to the square design.

Here's mine:

http://www.babyoliverboutique.com/bumble-bugs-olive-stripe-diaper-bag.html

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

sbjf
02-16-2004, 02:38 AM
http://landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1943_8400_92156_70603_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=0737051996039107180

It folds up into itself when you're not using it, so you can easily keep it in whatever diaper bag you choose (or keep it in the one in the car) yet have it handy for the beach trips.

For me, in the past, I would use the LL Bean canvas Zip Top Boat & Tote for the beach and it always did well for me. I have the biggest one and it is large enough for a small soft cooler, towels, change of clothes and beach blanket/sheet. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=33382&feat=gg310000

Here are 2 others that I found:

http://www.outdoor-family.com/beachbag.html
http://shopforstyle.safeshopper.com/11/135.htm?682