PDA

View Full Version : Loom Marsupial vs Timbuk 2-- AND --ISM vs Ella

etwahl
02-16-2004, 10:26 AM
forgive my newbie questions! i was thinking maybe i'd get one of each style, but wanted to know if some could directly compare these?

1. i like the size of the timbuk 2 (smaller than the looom marsupial) but i like the magnetic closures better than the stroller type clips on the loom. also, is that fabric REALLY shiny on the loom? any other comparisons between the two would be great. how do those who have the watermelon clutch like it?

2. are the ISM a little more functional...or was that just one person's opinion in general (i think brianna seemed to like ISM better than her ella?) but the fabrics on the ella bag look nicer, although that could just be the web site. what was the discount on the ellas? were the prices a lot lower than the ISM?

any feedback on the differences (pros and cons) of these two sets of diaper bags would be great. thanks soooooo much!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Calmegja2
02-16-2004, 10:35 AM
The T2 also has velcro that catches when you drop the flap, so you don't actually have to buckle it for it to be closed. The flap catches.

I don't have a Loom, so I can't make a direct comparison, but I thought I'd point that out, because I'm not sure the website for T2 highlights that.

I have a red microfiber bag, not the Loom, but Kenneth Cole. The fabric is gorgeous, really, and as I learned this weekend, you can clean it easily with a Mr. Clean sponge, so it's help up beautifully.

I spilled coffee on my T2, and it just rolled off without needing a cleaning, so that's a workable fabric, as well.

sbjf
02-16-2004, 11:09 AM
I think that you can't go wrong with any of these really. I like your idea of getting one of each (an ISM or Ella and Marsupial or Timbuk 2).

My opinions are only based on what I've read and seen online but here's my input...

1. Loom Marsupial vs Timbuk2

I like the Loom Marsupial better than T2 only because I like it's style a little better. It's more of a unique style and I like that it has a good structure to it, it can stand up and I don't know if the T2 does that. I think both are good bags that would definitely work for me and my lifestyle. I imagine that their quality is the same, both excellent. As for the size of the Loom, that doesn't bug me because I'm almost 5'8, so I can wear biggish bags without looking out of proportion, plus I tend to want to have everything I need on me, so I tend to pack a lot and I don't want everything crammed in, so for me I think the bigness will be ok. I don't like having to take stuff *out* of my bag to get at what I need (which is what I've been doing with my current purse and it bugs me.). Not to say that I'd have to do that with the T2, but that's just the reason why bigness is ok with me.

2. I'm Still Me vs Ella

This is almost a toss up for me. If I were to purchase one for just the summer/beach/pool, like what you're talking about I'd probably go with the Ella. I say this because from what I've read there is a big price difference, so for a seasonal bag I'd go with the one that costs less. My concern is that once I start building the Ella though it will add up to almost as much as the ISM, but I don't know about this for sure, I don't know the details of the Ella sales, but that is something to keep in mind. Now, if we're not talking about price
at all, or if I thought I'd be using it a LOT, I'd probably go with the ISM because of the fact that many people seem to feel that it is an overall sturdier bag. From what I've read, the straps are sturdier, the material is sturdier (could be why there are less fabric options?), the pockets are better (I think I read that). Another big plus for the ISM in my opinion is that I love the tote/backpack option, that can even be used mesg. style with the
purchase of a longer strap (under $5.), I like that versatility because many times I do want to be hands free/have nothing on my shoulder, and that's without a baby, lol! The Ella does have a backpack style but I don't think you'd have the tote/mesg. style option with it.

Good, good choices all around really!

cchavez
02-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Tammy, the ellas started at 30.00. I only paid 45.00 for mine and I added extra pockets and vinyl interior. It is a great deal and there should be another discount in March or so. hth

Momof3Labs
02-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes, the Ellas are a third to half the price of an ISM, even if you add lots of options. The ISMs might be a bit sturdier and use heavier fabrics, but to me that's not worth the huge price difference. The way I look at it, when I get tired of my Ella, I can still afford to buy a new one. But the ISM I'd feel stuck with since they are soooo expensive!

jjj
02-16-2004, 02:44 PM
I don't think you would feel "stuck" with an I'm Still ME! Bag - They are so beautiful and strong! Although they are the same general syle as the ellas, I think it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges - in an earlier post someone said it was like comparing a Lexus and a Ford Taurus. Just depends what your priorities are. They have great sales too. One of my co-workers just got one on sale for $56.00 (25% off)on a large size. They also did a discount for this Board in January. Jenny posted they sold 30 bags to members.
Anyway, just my thoughts. jj

khakismom
02-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I feel the same way Lori. I just don't care for the ISMs. I think they are drab and not very stylish (JMHO). Maybe it's because all the bottoms are dark as are the interiors. The Ella fabrics seem much more fun and stylish. And I agree about the price of the ISMs. Too much for what I don't truly love. I paid under $50 for my Ella backpack and it's perfect--and very sturdy.

With all that said though, I would love to see an ISM in person so I could really see what they're like. :)

Momof3Labs
02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Yes, that was *my* post saying that it was like comparing a Lexus and a Taurus (I was comparing them price-wise, arguing that therefore you should expect at least some difference quality-wise). Now that I've used my Ellas for a week, I can say that I have no inclination to spend 2-3 times the cost of an Ella for ANY other bag. But then I'm not one to spend $100 on a diaper bag, because I would feel "stuck" with it whether I liked it or not, even if it got dirty or I got tired of the pattern. I don't feel that way about a $30 bag, and I've found a few bags for $30 and under that I like quite well.

toomanystrollers
02-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Maureen,
I wasn't sold on the ISM until I got one :) They're so much more beautiful IRL and very rugged. I just got the Nantucket Rose floral and the website doesn't do it justice - the fabric is so much lighter and a nice light khaki bottom and interior.

khakismom
02-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I think I am already eating my words! :) Someone posted some pics of their adorable tailored stripe bag on the other ISM thread that Tammy started. It's really cute and sporty. And Pamela included a small bit of her poodle bag which looks really fun! I think I need to wait until a fabric appears that I just can't live without! :)

cchavez
02-17-2004, 10:20 AM
I think the ella bag fabrics are more fun and you cannot beat the price!!!!