PDA

View Full Version : Q's for people who HAVE an ISM bag...

etwahl
02-16-2004, 04:10 PM
1. what size did you get? did you get the backpack? do you like the size you got? would you recommend it to others?

2. what type of top closure did you get? are you glad?

3. what pattern/fabric did you get? do you love it?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

ppshah
02-16-2004, 04:27 PM
I got the large in tailored stripe. It was smaller than I expected- but forces me to pack lighter. I'm keeping the hospital freebie in the car with extras.

This is what I have in it:
2 size 4 diapers
travel case wipes
matching changing pad
sippy cup
bib
washcloth
feeding spoon- fits great in one of the penholders so I can find it!!
cell phone
wallet
pen
plastic bag for dirty stuff
extra outfit
snack cup with cheerios
1-2 small toys

I could stuff a few more things in there but then I would it wouldn't be very organized.

I like the size of the large as a far how it feels to hold etc. I'm only 5'2" and didn't want something too big. The fabric is beautiful and the quality is great. The bag holds its shape- the sides don't collapse- so it has "depth" all the way up-does this make sense? That was very important for me. I got the button loop closure- I like being able to reach in and grab whatever. Things don't fall out, even when the bag falls over.

I shouldn't have gotten the matching changing pad- maybe for a newborn- but it's too small for a 11 month old ( Sachin is only 2 days younger than Lauren!!) & it takes up a lot of space. I'll probably switch over to the Huggies disposable. HTH

I'll try to post pics of me holding it and the inside packed later if DH will cooperate.

lukkykatt
02-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I just got the large Scarlett bag - as in it arrived about an hour ago!!! It is so pretty...I love it! I moved everything over from my old bag, and it fits well, and I still have an empty pocket or two for sippy cups. I love that it has a key holder! I was forever losing my keys in the bottom of the bag. Oh I got the clip top closure and so far it seems good.

Haven't given it a trial run yet. I'll post back after it has seen some real use.

KMommie
02-16-2004, 04:52 PM
I have two. :)

I have the Buffalo Plaid in the size Large, with the button closure. I almost never button it closed though, it's too full! I do like the "look", and when I have it closed, it looks very nice. I didn't want the tie closure, because I knew I'd never take the time to close it that way. I love the pattern, and the black bottom has hidden all the dirt and wear.

Here's what I fit in there, and it was PACKED:

1 disposable diaper
1 Huggies disposable changing pad
1 package of travel size wipes (the soft case, not hard)
1 flannel burp cloth
1 jar baby food
1 plastic take n toss spoon
1 bib
1 .5 liter bottle of water
1 8 oz Avent bottle w/ powdered formula pre-measured inside
1 change of clothes
3 teething links
1 Mom pouch filled with: lip glass, house keys, work keys, infant tylenol, advil (for me), dairyzimes (also for me).
1 full sized wallet
2 pens
cell phone
car keys

Like I said, it was PACKED. So, I decided to get a size XL, in the Pretty in Pink for spring/summer. Love the pattern, although the pink bottom is already showing some dirt. It has the snap hook, which I find difficult to use. I love that it fits everything so nicely, with some room to spare. The disposable diaper used to stick out a bit (I had everything in a ziplock, which made it taller), and with the XL I don't have that problem. BUT, because it's deeper, it's harder for me to reach down to get my wallet, one handed, while carrying DD in the sling (a half-way tummy to tummy/hip carry). It's a lot bigger, and feels much more like a tote than a regular bag. With the Large, I felt like it was a regular purse, and many were surprised that it was a diaper bag at all. Since I got in on the deal with a free mom pouch, I got a changing pad for this one. It's a nice one, but honestly, probably won't use it much, and it takes up room, since it's padded.

I'll probably get another bag. :) It will be in a size Large. I figure, once DD is on table foods, I'll have room to spare. I can trade in all that formula/baby food stuff for a single rubbermaid straw cup thingy (DD prefers that over sippies) and some snacks. It will also have a darker colored bottom, and I will probably try the tie closure. The Pretty in Pink will be used later on for beach trips, all day excursions...etc.

HTH,

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

bluej
02-16-2004, 05:00 PM
I have a large ISM. It works well for now, but for summer I am going to need a bigger bag...sun hat, sunglasses for everyone, sunscreen, etc. Right now I keep in it:

2 diapers
wipe case
small cloth changing pad
wallet and checkbook
cellphone
small snack container
sippy cup
extra outfit
baggy for dirty clothes
a few baby toys

There's enough extra room that I can pack his lovey (small blanket) if we are going to be out during nap time OR a ring sling. If either of these items are in the bag, I have to dig more to get to stuff. I LOVE the bag. Mine is the Vermillion Paisley (red and khaki). Goes nicely w/ most of my fall/winter wardrobe and coats.

Oh yeah, mine has a button closure and I am very happy w/ that.

etwahl
02-16-2004, 05:31 PM
jen, the extra large seems SOOOO long. i like the shape of the large better. do you really think the large won't be enough for summer with hats, sunscreen, and sunglasses, etc? drats! what bag do you think you'll get for summer (that's bigger?)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jayhjay
02-16-2004, 06:43 PM
I have the XL dragonfly and don't find it too big. Sometimes I can't even close it! I have the button loop closure which is nice and easy to use. I tend to pack a lot. I think the pictures make them look longer than they really are. I am only 5' 2" and I can comfortably hold the big one.

toomanystrollers
02-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Tammy my XL Nantucket Rose with the snap-hook closure just arrived today - LOVE IT - the fabric looks a lot lighter IRL. I also have a discontinued print in the backpack style. I think I'm going to love the tote more - cram more stuff in :)

bluej
02-16-2004, 06:47 PM
I think the Lily (ella-bags) is about the same size as the XL ISM and that's what I'm getting for summer. Keep in mind that I will have three kids w/ me at all times during the summer, which is why I think I need a bigger bag (more sunglasses, more snacks, more wipes - summer just seems to be a dirty time for my kids!). If it were just Ryden w/ me during the summer I'm sure his hat and sunglasses would fit just fine in the Large ISM. It really is a great size, especially if you aren't use to carrying around large diaper bags.

pamela mom of 3
02-16-2004, 09:24 PM
I have an older bag, it's just the large..i have the flap and button closure which i really like...the flap really helps keep things in.

I've found it enough of a size for me but i have always been a light packer despite having 3 children ;)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2604.jpg

mine is the poodle dogs off in the bottom right hand side :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://cmw.dailymoviereviews.com/contrib/fk/bunny.gif

ppshah
02-16-2004, 09:31 PM
It's a large ISM tote in tailored stripe. On my computer the rust looks a little brighter than it really is.

The first picture is the inside of the bag with the items I mentioned earlier.

top left pocket:sippy cup, spoon in the pen slot. bottom left:snack cup with cheerios and large bib. top middle big pocket: changing pad and wallet. The middle bottom: diapers, wipes case and plastic bag. On the right bottom: my cell phone, right top: washcloth & pen in the pen slot. My keys are on the key clip that comes with the bag. In the middle, at the bottom of the bag I have the extra outfit with the toys loose in the bag.

The second picture is with the button loop closed

The third picture is me holding the bag. I'm short 5'2".

The fourth picture is the tote with changing pad and mommy pouch.

I think I could put a few more items without a problem ie hat for sachin and sunscreen esp. if I took out the padded changing pad.

HTH

sbjf
02-16-2004, 09:57 PM
You look good with that bag! You wear it well! It's a very pretty bag for sure.

C99
02-16-2004, 10:40 PM
1. I have an XL backpack-conversion. My husband originally got me the L and it was too small, so I exchanged it for the XL, which is still too small for my needs.

2. I got the snap-hook closure. It was the only option,

3. I got the Scarlett fabric. I love the fabric, but I don't love the bag. I've used it 3x and am probably going to sell it.

JennyA
02-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Purvi - I agree - very cool! Nice and tailored!!!!
I love my ISM backpack - buffalo plaid - it seems like it holds alot to me. My DH says I haul around waaaaay too much, but I like to be prepared! If I need an extra blanket or something I just leave the inside clip undone for extra space at the top. HTH jenny

blnony
02-17-2004, 01:39 PM
I have the XL Tote; no backpack option; I love the size I have and I would highly recommend it to others.
I have the button/loop closure and like it a lot. You can use a lot more of the bag.
I have the Buffalo Plaid and got in December so its a great winter/fall fabric. I would probably get something more "spring" if I were ordering one right now.
Its a great bag. The fabrics are made for high wear and I love the size I have. If I'm just going on a really short outing; I usually take my Ella since its lighter and a little smaller, but the best thing about the ISM is the shape and layout of the bag; you can find anything in it. I love that. I would probably get one with a lighter color interior though; I've learned that you can see things in there better than a black or dark interior.