PDA

View Full Version : Backpack style diaper bag suggestions? / Baby Sherpa question

peasprout
02-17-2004, 06:25 PM
With #2 coming soon, I'm looking into backpack style bags. I want one that will fit all the gear I need for two kids and something sporty looking that my husband would carry too. Any suggestions? Also, I read on some other boards about the Baby Sherpa bag, but one reviewer said that the main compartment was really small since the cooler on the bottom took up most of the space and that the bag was really bulky and looked like they were going on a hiking trip. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

caleymama
02-17-2004, 07:18 PM
I've had this one (the LE Organizer Backpack) for a couple of months and been very happy with it. It's currently in the Overstock section for $16.
http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,1467,2_17273_17281_30912_93379_71826_,00.html?si d=0797055867860155010

It's not technically a diaper bag, but it's been good for us. There are a lot of pockets (3 main ones, 1 smaller one inside the largest one, a mesh zipper pocket on the bottom of the front, a mesh bottle/sippy pocket on the side, and the front pocket is an organizer pocket with little). It obviously doesn't come with a changing pad, but we use a separate one anyway so that's not an issue for us. There was a thread a week or two ago that you could check out where I gave a more thorough description - have to go finish dinner now or I'd say more.

lmariana
02-17-2004, 10:11 PM
We have a Baby Sherpa that we use for our long day trips, like Disney World. It's perfect for carrying large loads. Yes, the cooler part does take up about 40% of the bag, but you don't have to use it as a cooler. :)

I can fit a whole can of formula, 2 bottles of water, 3 bottles, a couple jars of baby food, and some bibs with room to spare...in the cooler part alone.

Then inside I can carry like 8 diapers, a couple outfit changes, first aid kit, a travel pack of wipes, a blankie, our video camera, and a toy. In addition you also have 2 side pockets, the mesh pocket, and 2 bottle/sippie cup holders. Whew!

It also has an x-large changing pad on the back.

If we remove the bottle holders from the outside of the bag, it will fit in our stroller's basket.

Personally, we love this bag, but it is very big and very sporty. I don't use it for our day to day stuff, but only for day-long or overnight outtings.

Other useful features: gray lined interior, rugged handle, great cushioning on straps, optional chest and waist straps for distributing the bag weight, durable material, good construction.

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

lmariana
02-17-2004, 10:16 PM
We have a Baby Sherpa that we use for our long day trips, like Disney World. It's perfect for carrying large loads. Yes, the cooler part does take up about 40% of the bag, but you don't have to use it as a cooler. :)

I can fit a whole can of formula, 2 bottles of water, 3 bottles, a couple jars of baby food, and some bibs with room to spare...in the cooler part alone.

Then inside I can carry like 8 diapers, a couple outfit changes, first aid kit, a travel pack of wipes, a blankie, our video camera, and a toy. In addition you also have 2 side pockets, the mesh pocket, and 2 bottle/sippie cup holders. Whew!

It also has an x-large changing pad on the back.

If we remove the bottle holders from the outside of the bag, it will fit in our stroller's basket.

Personally, we love this bag, but it is very big and very sporty. I don't use it for our day to day stuff, but only for day-long or overnight outtings.

Other useful features: gray lined interior, rugged handle, great cushioning on straps, optional chest and waist straps for distributing the bag weight, durable material, good construction.

Hope this helps!

Mariana

lmariana
02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Oh, and if you're still considering the Baby Sherpa, www.babyage.com has it for $85 + free shipping through the 29th. If you go through www.ebates.com, you can get 4% cash back too!

Mariana

KMommie
02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
We have a Baby Sherpa bag. It is HUGE. It was great, when DH and I used to pack everything but the kitchen sink for outings with DD. You should have seen the looks we would get when we would walk into a restaurant. The bag itself, needed it's own chair! The cooler on the bottom was one of the best features, IMO. It fit the Avent bottles really well. We now only lug this thing out for vacations. We pack all of DD's stuff in there. It does look like a true hiking backpack. I like the "look" of it. It has lots of neat features, but never fit under either of our strollers (a Combi and a Zooper). We also have a LE backpack. I didn't like the one main compartment for basically everything. I was always digging to find something at the bottom. I like to have my stuff in separate pockets, easily accessible, probably why I LOVE my ISM so much---but I digress. I don't think you'd want the Baby Sherpa for every day use. Only for all day trips, unless you carry a lot, normally.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

sbjf
02-18-2004, 11:22 PM
and baby-outfitters.com has it for $79. (don't know about shipping costs) and I saw some new ones on ebay for $70. "Buy It Now".

Although I'm getting the Loom Marsupial & Watermelon Clutch for my daily diaper bag I just put the Baby Sherpa on my baby-outfitters.com registry because I really think it is an awesome bag with some features that others just don't have, like the built in cooler and compartment for video camera. I will keep this bag in the car, stocked with stuff, and dh will have it for his alone trips with the baby (though he's griped about the backpack style in general, he worries about not being able to easily grab what he needs, but I overrode him, cause this looks too good to pass up), and we'll also use it for all day outings/amusement parks.

If I had 2 kids, maybe I would use this daily if I needed the room, I don't know for sure since I haven't seen it in person though.