PDA

View Full Version : shopping cart cover-- a must have?

sarahfran
02-20-2004, 12:42 AM
OK, I'm a first time mom and DS is just now getting to be big enough to consider putting him in a shopping cart. So the question is... do I really need a cover? Of course I like the idea of protecting him from germs, but I don't like the idea of carting an extra big thing around with me.

Does anyone NOT use them? Any nice alternative to using one?
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

ppshah
02-20-2004, 12:52 AM
Too be honest I never thought of it!!! I agree it would be nice to keep the germs away but like you said- with a baby you have enough things to lug around without adding to it. I would just wash his hands as soon as he got home & frequently!!!! Maybe you could just use a receiving blanket probably wouldn't work as well but better than nothing!!!

jastinker
02-20-2004, 01:15 AM
I bought one last week at the Baby Expo. It is made by Buggy Bag. It is wonderful. Very padded and velcro straps for toys, a flip pocket to keep bottles, snacks or binkies. I have not used it yet as I am due in April, but I know I will. It can also be used in restaurant high chairs, which always gross me out. :) The one I bought has a denim outside and an aquatic print in blue on the inside. It folds into a little duffle type bag with a nice strap, so it is easy to carry. Here is the web site if anyone is interested. The owner was at the show and she was very nice.

www.buggybaggs.com

JenCA
02-20-2004, 03:50 AM
I just bought a Buggy Bagg last weekend, and it is FABULOUS! You don't really have to carry it around--I just leave mine in the car, and when I want to use it, it easily unzips into the cart seat with very little effort. Before I bought the Bagg, I never put my daughter in a shopping cart seat. The thought of her mouthing the handle that everyone and their dog has had their germy hands on repulsed me, and the Bagg takes care of that worry. It's very plush and comfy and I love it because it covers the entire seat/handle area of the cart, so there are no exposed areas for DD to mouth or touch. Plus, you can just throw it in the washing machine! I definitely recommend this product.

JennyA
02-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Yes germs are gross - and I am totally possessed when the babe gets even a cold BUT hauling another thing around is not so easy either. A blanket for seats and a pack of anti-bacterial wipes used on a cart handle, table tops and high chairs is a practical alternative. Although I HATE it, my doctor Dad maintains that moderate exposure to common bacteria helps build immunities. He thinks taking the baby to family gatherings where people have colds and flu is MUCH worse!!!

just another way to lok at it! jenny

sarahfran
02-20-2004, 11:03 AM
I just surfed around the buggybagg site and there's no price info listed. Roughly how much are they? Found a good on-line retailer? There's no local retailer near me. Which colors do you have?

I can cope with the notion of leaving one in the car rather than carting it around with me, but may still opt for the wipes/blankie route out of cheapness!

TIA.
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

jasabo
02-20-2004, 11:28 AM
It actually may not be cheaper in the long run if you factor in the expense of wipes. Plus you have to remember to restock your supply so you always have them on hand.

I never thought I'd use a cart cover but since I had my twins, I LOVE them. Those shopping carts are covered in germs, and my guys are at the stage where they chew on everything. I don't have a problem with moderate exposure to germs, but no sense in throwing them into a puddle of them. Not only that, but the seat covers are really comfy, and they're also great in the summertime, when the shopping carts have been sitting in the sun and the seats are hot.

I just keep mine in my car all the time. I have 2, both from ebay. I have a double for the Costco carts I got from anglynrose (not sure if she's still selling) and a single from covers4kids (around $32). They're both great. I highly recommend them. They're also great for restaurant high chairs.

Lisa

heidi_timms
02-20-2004, 02:56 PM
My daughter sucks on the actual cart handle, straps, and sides if the cart(the metal part). How gross is that!??? I can't live without mine. I keep it in the car and just pull it out when I get the cart.

I have the cart cover from snazzybaby.com which is pretty expensive. I think that the buggybag is right up there in price. Liya (Linda) just posted about a cart cover that she just got on ebay which looks super cute. I got one for a gift from Covers4kids.com. Many recommend them as well and they are affordable! Covers 4 kids also sells on ebay and has so many fabrics to choose from.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

JenCA
02-20-2004, 05:12 PM
I didn't do any research for online retailers; I bought mine in a B&M store for $69. I got the denim/jungle print because I thought it would be interesting for DD to look out when she's riding around in the cart, and I was right--she likes to look at the bright colors.

Honestly--if you leave it in your car, it isn't a big deal. It's not like you have to schlep it along with your diaper bag and stroller, KWIM? To me, it's easier to use the cart cover than to wipe everything down (including DD!) with antibacterial wipes. It's so much more convenient, IMO.

khakismom
02-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Never had one, never saw the point. I just give my kids toys to play with while sitting in the cart. Personally, I'd rather spend $70 on something else. But that's just me... :)

JenCA
02-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Ohhh, the snazzybaby cart covers are cute! Very fancy. Since I already have a cart cover, I might have to get one of the snazzybaby blankies for DD. :)

pamela mom of 3
02-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Germs are not the only issue, comfort & the ability to strap the child in{many carts seem to have missing/broken straps x( }

My youngest would not sit in a cart without one, period. Now i do have the fancy, expensive buggybagg but their are alot of more um, moderate priced options out there, i just went all out cause he was the last baby...you know last time to play with some of the neato products that have come out, my first dd had quite a plain-jane type ;)

I don't really "haul" mine about...i get a cart, put it in and then get ds out of the car, i always park as close as possible to the outdoor cart corrals lol

With mine having pockets that zip up etc i can supply it up instead of bringing in a diaper bag also.

Of coarse tho, as with alot of things it's very personal :)
ETA: also it it can give a place to store sippy cups/bottles etc & keep toys and lovey's clean :D

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

egoldber
02-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Never had one, never missed it. :)

For the shopping cart with missing straps issue, there is a handy item at BRU called "The Comfy Strap". Its basically a very wide padded strap, that sells for about $5. I used it for the brief time when DD was too big for the infant seat but wasn't quite sitting up on her own yet.

HTH,

denvergal
02-21-2004, 02:15 AM
They sell it here for $69.95. It's a store located in colorado. Haven't bought anything from them yet, but I've perused their site quite often. I think now I finally have an excuse to buy something from them. My DS is 6 months and I think he would really enjoy the denim/animal print but I'm loving the yellow abc one. It's soooo cute! I'm thinking the abc one is a bit more gender neutral in case we have a girl next time around or can the animal print be for girls too??? hmm...will have to think on it a bit more.... .

edited to say: oops forgot the link.
www.babybums.com