PDA

View Full Version : Messenger vs Tote vs Backpack...what are Pros and Cons?

etwahl
02-21-2004, 09:09 AM
since i've decided i NEED some new diaper bags, i'd really love some feedback from folks who use them regularly. i've only rarely used our diaper bags.

gap backpack - don't like it. it's always CRAMMED full of stuff. i have to take a ton of stuff out to get something. it's not that convenient to carry, especially when full.

combi US - it's not wide enough, there's no place for a sippy, just doesn't seem convenient.

I'm definitely getting a Loom Marsupial, but was also thinking about a tote or two. But there have been some cute backpack styles. I'm attracted to the backpack being able to go on my back for convenience, but i think i've been scarred by my gap backpack which is just not easy to use...so i worry the same about another backpack style.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Calmegja2
02-21-2004, 09:39 AM
I think it's just so dependent on how you do things when you're out.

I have waaayyyy too many bags (not that I let something like that stop me), and it really depends on what we're doing.

I have to say, I like messenger style the best right now, because it's winter, and I'm usually wearing a coat, and as much as I love some of my totes, the coat causes the totes to fall off my shoulder, which is irritating. I like to tuck the tote under my arm and back, and with a heavy coat, it may start out thatway, but it's probably not going to stay there.

In the spring/summer/fall, I really like totes. I like how they look, and without the bulk of heavier clothes, they stay put just fine.

I have a few backpacks, and while I'm use them occasionally, they just aren't my favorite style. I wish they were, but they just aren't me. I do like them for hanging off a stroller, though, and I also do that with messenger bags.

Okayyyyyyyyyy......that was a bit of a ramble, but I hope it was a little bit useful... ;-)

lmariana
02-21-2004, 11:48 AM
If you're interested in a cute backback with great organization, how about the Fleurville Alpha 7? It's my dream bag, and I know I'll be giving in soon! It's a messenger style bag that converts into a backpack. You can get details on their website, www.fleurville.com.

I'm a messenger style person, but I have a backpack for longer, day trips. It's not cute though, just functional! I have a Baby Sherpa, which is very sporty, but really great about organization. It's big selling point is the insulated cooler section that boast it can carry 8 cans of soda. I've fit a can of formula, bottles of water, empty bottles, and a few ice packs in there with no problem. It also has a couple good places for sippy cups that are removable, so that you can either reduce the bulk of the bag, or attach the cupholder elsewhere, like a stroller.

My latest purchase is the Skip Hop Messenger Bag, which I am loving! You can wear it messenger style, but then it also converts to hang from your stroller, very cool! The look itself isn't too cute, but they have a nice selection of colors that make up for it. I like the idea of just putting it on the stroller and saving my back. I even got it in red to match my new Kiwi stroller.

I hope this helps a bit, enjoy your seearch!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

jjj
02-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi Tammy, I saw on another post you were looking at them - did you decide not to go for it? I have the tote and am constantly lusting after my friend Jen's backpack. I think you can also get an extra long strap so it can be used as a shoulder/messenger bag too. There are ALOT of choices these days, huh! It's kind of fun though! It will be interesting to see if the loom coop comes through - lots of interesting reviews. jj

kathsmom
02-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Hi, Tammy!

I like the idea of the previous posters about getting an ISM backpack style bag or the Fleurville Alpha 7 since both can be worn as backpacks or tote/messenger bags.

I have a Baby Trend Activpak backpack that I bought at BRU last year. I love the bag and all of the organizational pockets. I love the backpack style, especially since Andrew is now running all over the place and I have Katherine to keep up with as well. However, I do have to take the backpack off to find anything (snacks, pacifiers, sippy cups, etc). So, that aspect is a pain.

I love the looks of the Loom bag, and it can be worn messenger style as well. I just found out that a local store carries them (as well as the Fleurville Alpha 7 and Chester bags), so I am going to try to go see them in person so I can get a better idea of the size. I am spatially challenged and can only get an idea of the size of things if I see them in person, or if someone takes a picture wearing the bags.

HTH and good luck!

etwahl
02-21-2004, 06:03 PM
i know i'm definitely getting a loom, and i definitely want a tote (or two) but i really haven't decided about a backpack. i have noticed some cute ones though - sally spicer, i'm still me, and i think there was one more...

i just don't know! i don't know if i NEED all these diaper bags, or if i'm just bored right now and wanting to BUY stuff. KWIM?!!!!

and now i just bought a P3 in Metallica (red and silver) so i'm wondering if i should get a moss green (with purple lining) or red (with red lining) loom marsupial. i wonder if the two reds would clash?

jeez, my husband is here putting the kettler together and telling me what an addict i am.

btw, when i bought the red stroller, i asked the girl if she thought i'd clash with the red (was also considering the black sable) based on what i was wearing or the diaper bag i was carrying and she said she'd honestly never had anyone ask such a question. well, this is a small town ;) and no one i've ever met IRL outside of these boards is as obsessed about stuff as i am.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
02-21-2004, 08:35 PM
oh toni! if you get a chance to look at the bags, can you tell me about the red color? in fact, maybe a better question, have you seen the red metallic P3's? and if so and you do see a red loom, can you tell me if they'd match?

thanks!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

kathsmom
02-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi, Tammy!

I have seen the red P3's and they look very nice! I can't exactly remember the shade of red. I have got to go to BRU today for more pacifiers, so I will look at it more closely. I am hoping to get a P3 for the summer when we start doing more outdoor activities. However, I haven't told DH that! I think he might have a heart attack!

I will definitely check out the red Loom to see if it would match the red of the P3. I am not sure exactly when I will be able to get to the store, because DH, Andrew, and Katherine are all sick. I have to call them to make sure that they have them in stock (it is a B&M store and they have a website too).

I'll let you know as soon as I see them! Take care and have fun with your P3!

etwahl
02-22-2004, 10:13 AM
thanks toni, that's really sweet of you. good luck on getting the p3 yourself. the red is REALLY striking. i love that it's so "attention" getting :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com