PDA

View Full Version : Size Questions: Loom, Fleurville, Sally Spicer vs. Combi US

jec2
02-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Ok, in preparation for the upcoming Co-op I need to figure out which darn bag to get.

First, thanks to sbaker--was it sbaker?--for posting pics of the loom. It did help, but I need some comments on size because I am a spatial moron. I am about ready to create a dummy bag out of a grocery bag to see if I can fit all my junk in happily.

Second, I need something bigger than the Combi US. I need it to be functionally bigger than this bag because although the Combi website gives dimensions that are roomy, the bag isn't working as a "roomy" bag in accordance with those "roomy" measurements. Make sense? I think it is because the bottom is not squared-off and therefore I always feel like I'm stuffing an envelope.

Third, I need something big enough for when I have Finn out for up to 6 hours. So, here's my inventory of things I like to take but don't seem to fit in the US. Please let me know if any of these bags you think might work better than any other
Loom, Fleurville, Sally Spicer tote

for baby:
3-4 cloth diapers & 2 covers
wipes container
extra outfit
hat
burp cloth
rec'ving blanket &/or little barefoot dreams blanket
1 (or 2) cloth book(s)
2 toys (teether/rattles)
zolo sling
for me:
wallet
water
keys
phone
lip balm/lip stick
lotion
glasses
hair clip
maybe a few other small odds and ends I'm forgetting

DH is demanding a bigger bag, so please please please help me get a good bag for us. This is a big expense even with the discount so I don't want to make a big mistake. By the by, I showed him the tulip bag at baby oliver http://www.babyoliverboutique.com/swtupavidito1.html

and while he liked it I think it is TOO big. Any comments?

Please give me some help so I don't mess this purchase up.

Thanks so much!

jec2
02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
:)

kwc
02-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Juliet,

I have a Sally Spicer tote that I really like, but I think you'd be hard pressed to get all that stuff in there comfortably if you want to close the magnetic closure at the top. My complaints with the Sally Spicer are that the pockets are just flat ones stitched to the side (no zippers or elastic, except for the bottle holders which are wide elastic loops) so organization is difficult (esp. for small mom items such as keys, cell phone) and the bag does not carry as much as you would expect for the size (also due to the magnetic closure). The flat outside pocket is not very useful for items that might fall out...

I tried a bunch of stuff in there similar to your list and I can _just_ close it (I would take a pic but can't find my digital camera):

-4 regular CPFs and 1 Bumpy cover (I know you don't have exotic dipes either ;) )
-the included changing pad
-1 hat, 1 bib, 1 sleeper (least bulky extra outfit)
-plain homemade flannel pouch sling
-wipes case
-plastic baggies for dirties
-1 cloth book
-1 rattle
-Purell, lip balm
-wallet, cell phone and keys shoved in there but not very secure or easy to find
There is still some loose space around the ends so I bet you could get some small toys or glasses in there but prob not another cloth book.

For these reasons, I usually don't use it for CDs or long trips. I think the Fleurville and Loom are much better organized which means you could probably get all that stuff in there more easily. For example, I could probably stuff almost all that (minus 2 CDs and the cloth book) in my much smaller Lands End Little Tripper that we end up using a lot as it hangs well on the stroller handles. I really liked the Loom IRL, and though the dimensions on diaperbags.com make it seem like it may actually be bigger than the Fleurville Mothership, it is trapezoidal in shape with a wide bottom so it didn't seem as big and perhaps easier to carry (the Mothership seems really tall and boxy to me).

HTH!

Karen

ETA: Of course, the lack of pockets did not keep me from buying a "Ruby" bag that has even fewer pockets. I am a sucker for Sally Spicer fabrics!

jec2
02-25-2004, 05:09 PM
A big thanks for your comments. This helps tremendously. The Spicer tote is third on my list so I think that the loom or fleurville are probably the way to go. I just hope either is "big" enough. As it stands now, I leave the US unzipped to be able to cram my stuff into it so I am thinking almost anything will be better.

sbaker
02-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Hmmm...Spatial moron...I like that!!! I think making grocery dummy bag is a great idea! If I had thought of that maybe I wouldn't have a stack of unused diaper bags in my closet. :)
Seriously though, is there anything you can think of (diaper bag or household type item) that I could put next to my Loom bag and post a picture of, so that you could get a better idea of its size? I wish I had a Combi US to use as a reference, but I don't. Do you have any other diaper bags?

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

lmariana
02-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Here are some picture I took of my Loom with the Baby Bargains book...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2853.jpg
Side Angle View

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2854.jpg
Front View with book

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2855.jpg
Side View with Book

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2856.jpg
Bottom View with Book

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2857.jpg
Inside with Book

Inside I have:
Baby Bargains Book
(3) Size#3 Diapers
Pack of Huggies Wipes
(2) Ready to Feed formula bottles
(1) Evenflo bottle
Burp Cloth
Sleeper
(2) Teething Toys
Small clutch (wallet, lip gloss, hair brush, etc.)
Sassy Diaper Disposal Baggies
Pacifier
Bib
iPod MP3 Player
Loom Changing Pad
Loom Drawstring Bag

There are also three exterior pockets in which I just have my sunglasses and cell phone for now. The bag isn't packed out by any means, and still has a little room left in it.

I think the Loom is a good size, not too huge and not too small. To me, the Mothership by Fleurville looks significantly larger, but I haven't seenthe Alpha 7 yet. The Loom does have some great organization and I adore the little Drawstring baggie.

Hope this helps all my fellow spatially challanged friends out there!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

khakismom
02-25-2004, 06:13 PM
You definitely could fit all those things into the Fleurville Mothership.

jec2
02-25-2004, 06:21 PM
The only other diaper bag that I own is the free similac one from the hospital. Do you still have yours? That might be a good way to compare. If not, then I think I'll have to use the grocery bag to get a better idea. Do tell me this, do the interiour pockets take up a lot of the space of the main compartment when they are stuffed? Does that make sense?

jec2
02-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Wow! THanks so much. This helps too. And, it looks like you carry just about as much as me (although you have the trimness of the disposables whereas I have the bulk of CD's). And, it looks like we even pack the same teether toy (the rainbow caterpiller?!).

lmariana
02-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Yup, same teether! I love my new Loom (just got it today). It will probably be more of my "fancy" diaper bag, if you know what I mean. Like when I want to look a little nicer than my normal casual self. I use a Skip Hop diaper bag most of the time, which I adore! I love the black color of my Loom because I can wear it with anything, but the brown lining is lacking a little in my opinion. It doesn't do much to solve the "black hole" effect.

I'm thinking of getting a Fleurville Alpha 7 during the co-op because I love the backpack feature. Somebody stop me, I'm addicted!!!

Mariana

the5howards
02-25-2004, 07:56 PM
i already Have the Alpha 7, and I ordered a Loom , now I am drooling over the new loom that I have not even seen. I understand the addiction. Maybe we can start our own 12 step program.

jec2
02-25-2004, 08:24 PM
I've been reading your old posts on this bag and am thinking that this is a large bag. I once saw a woman at the airport w/ one of the Fluerville bags and it looked BIG. But, I cannot recall which one it was. Looking at them online doesn't make them seem so big. And, even when I see photos of how people have them packed I still have some difficulty imagining the size. Ugh. I think the Loom will work but maybe I'll get one of each and then do some "return shopping."

mattysmom
02-25-2004, 09:15 PM
Could you take a picture of the Loom next to the skip hop? I'm curious how these two compare both inside and out (and I'd love to see how the skip hop bag looks "on"!)

I too have been thinking about the Alpha - we have the same addiction!
Thanks!

lmariana
02-25-2004, 09:18 PM
How have you liked your Alpha 7? You'll love the Loom! What impressed me most was the quality of construction.

Mariana

jasabo
02-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Have you done a search to see if any retailers in your area carry these bags? I was really interested in an Alpha or Mothership but wanted to see them IRL before I bought one. I'm really glad I did because they were much bigger then I thought they'd be. I thought the Mothership was huge!! Which is great if that's what you're looking for. I've got a BabyBaks backpack that I use for long outings, which seemed to me to be about the same size as a Mothership. I just ordered an Ella tote and am going to get an ISM backpack and a Loom...like someone said, it's an addiction.

Anyway, just thought I'd suggest the IRL option.

Lisa - mom to 8 month old twin boys

jec2
02-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Good Idea! It's so obvious but honestly in our town we only have a couple of baby stores and they don't carry the fluerville. But, we do have a new top-line maternity store and I just checked and sure enough they have them--at least on-line so hopefully in their B&M store too. Looks like I'll have something to do tomorrow. And, if they have them all in stock, there will be plenty for me to test drive! thanks for the sugggestion.

coffeemug230
02-25-2004, 11:39 PM
I have a store that carriers (or so the website site) both the Fleurville and the Loom. I will venture up there either tomorrow or Friday and try to take digital pics of both!!

lmariana
02-26-2004, 02:02 AM
Here are a few pics with the Loom and Skip Hop. I find the Loom to have much better construction and internal organization, but the Skip Hop wins me over with it's ease of use, stroller attachment feature, longer and adjustable strap, and lower price. I think I can fit more in the Skip Hop too. In the pictures, the Skip Hop is holding all the same contents of the Loom plus a thin blanket and stuffed toy.

Cosmetically, the Loom wins, hands down! The Skip Hop is not very pretty, but the good color choices and functionality make up for it. I also bought the Ice Blue color, which is SUPER cute, but I think I'm returning it because the red more "me" (if anyone wants the Blue, let me know).

Both bags include the changing pad, but the Loom also gives you a handy drawstring pouch for dirties or small items. The Loom has a built-in insulated bottle holder inside and 2 bottle holders on the outside of the bag. In contrast, the Skip Hop only offers one mesh bottle holder on the exterior. Another difference you'll notice is that all the pockets in the Loom are lightly padded, whereas the Skip Hop is not. I guess it just depends on your needs and budget.

Basically, I love both these bags dearly, and they are both big winners in my book! (Now I just need the watermelon clutch...)

Let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2864.jpg
Loom (black) and Skip Hop (red) side by side

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2865.jpg
Skip Hop Interior with side pockets unzipped

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2867.jpg
Skip Hop Interior with side pockets zip

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2866.jpg
Interior of Loom

Mariana

khakismom
02-26-2004, 12:59 PM
From Sara's pix of the Loom, the inside of the Loom is the same as the Mothership. Which is awesome, because I love all the compartments. Yes, it is a big bag. But even with 2 kids, I still can't fit everything in there if we are going to be gone for a while.

The Mothership is tall, and looks boxy until you pack it. From what I've read here, the Alpha 7 isn't that much smaller than the Mothership. I am very tall, so the Mothership looks fine for me. On someone smaller, I can see how it might be overwhelming.

I definitely recommend checking it out IRL before ordering it. That way, you can see how it fits you. :) Good luck!!

jec2
02-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Love! It is perfect. I hauled in my overflowing Combi US to the maternity store and the owner just chuckled and said, "oh my, you need a new bag, eh?"

I tried the Mothership and the Oi Oi messenger and Oi Oi large Tote. I liked the Large tote a lot, but the pockets weren't abundant (I think two mesh ones). It is a really nice bag, though. The oi oi messendger is nice, but I think that it is a little too small for me and the inside organization wasn't as nice as the mothership.

I fell hard for the Mothership. The size is perfect and the inside compartments are wonderful. I was able to fit all my listed items with some room to spare. I love it and am really hoping the Loom is as similar in function as the Mothership because I think I might like the sleekness of the Loom a little better. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

sbjf
02-26-2004, 08:23 PM
If so, then it sounds like you are in luck!

khakismom
02-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Yay Juliet!! Glad you found something you like!! :) The Mothership is my favorite dipe bag, hands-down. Even packed, it's easy to carry and with the padding on the strap, it doesn't roll off your shoulder like every other bag does. Let us know what you end up getting--the Loom or the Mothership!