PDA

View Full Version : how functional are the sally spicer totes?

etwahl
02-27-2004, 10:34 PM
this one is so pretty:

http://www.diaperbags.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=196

i was curious how others found them in terms of functionality, especially compared to ISM bags?

one thing is the outside of the bag says dryclean. but still pretty nonetheless.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
02-29-2004, 03:10 PM
anyone? in light of the sale right now, i'm curious if anyone has an opinion on this bag. the north beach and south beach are both nice in terms of fabric, i just don't know if it's functional enough compared to ISM.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

sbjf
02-29-2004, 03:30 PM
OMG, I do love that South Beach pattern, perfect for you at the beach Tammy. Maybe someone here can post a pic of the interior of this bag? I'd be curious to see that. If it is at all similar in function to the ISM I'd say go for it because even the ISM's fabric will probably either need dry cleaning or some type of special care/cleaning because it is also not stain resistant.

jec2
02-29-2004, 03:31 PM
but DH really likes the dragonfly and so I might get one too for something different in addition to the loom.

Momof3Labs
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Personally, I would not buy a dry clean only diaper bag (especially for over $100) - diaper bags are in the line of fire of way too many things; it seems like more hassle and expense than it is worth, IMO.

tina-t
02-29-2004, 08:08 PM
I have a black dragonfly pattern that I've only used a few times. It is my "dressy" diaper bag. I've used it to a few of weddings and parties. I have received a lot of compliments on it. It is big enough to carry what I need. However, I am still breastfeeding so no bottles or sippy cups for me. But I have been able to fit 2 extra outfits, 4-5 diapers, small package of wipes, small desitin, a small toy, and even my zolo sling in it.

My work horse diaper bag is a lands end little tripper. I missed out on the ella bag coop and would have ordered an elaine. Hopefully, I can get in on the next coop.

Forgot to add that I bought mine at ebay, nwt for about $80+ which included shipping and taxes. The seller and I are both in CA.

nc_hope
03-01-2004, 01:51 AM
I have a Sally Spicer baby bag (the tote) in the black dragonfly print. It is my only diaper bag and so I have used it day in and day out for the past 6 1/2 months. It looks great with my jeans AND with heels and my dressier church and wedding outfits. I was looking for something that was stylish and would go with anything -- the black dragonfly fit the bill for me. I have gotten a ton of compliments on the bag!

I don't have an ISM so I can't directly compare with it. I can tell you that the bag has worked out great for me so far. I am not one to pack "everything but the kitchen sink" but the layout works well for me. It has a pocket along each side of the interior that runs the length of the bag plus one small pocket on the outside of the bag (I drop my keys and cell phone here). It has a bottle/sippy holder on each end of the interior. I routinely carry 3-4 diapers, a travel pack of wipes, a spare outfit, a bottle, a burp cloth, the changing pad that came with it, and 2 toys in the main compartment. In one interior pocket I keep Andrew's things (travel size Desiten, lotion, pacifier) and in the other I keep my things (lipstick, gum, wallet, pen -- I don't carry a separate purse)

Oh, it has held up very well. Still looks as good as the day I bought it. I have occasionally used a damp cloth to wipe off a spot.

Hope this helps you. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, but it's going to be a busy day so I can't make any promises. :)

kensjen
03-01-2004, 01:30 PM
I also have a dragonfly tote bag. It is a gorgeous bag, and I have used it every day for about 2 months now. It's hard to compare this to the ISM bag, because they are just so different. Obviously the SS bag does not have the cool pockets that the ISM does, and the ISM is made of a much sturdier (stiff) fabric.

I can fit all that I need in the SS....2 AIO's, wet bag, changing pad, wipes container, avent bottle, bottle of water, toy, outfit, wallet, keys...the only thing I don't like is the snap closure. You lose some of the space, and it is never really closed, KWIM? I like zipper closures the best.

This bag will be great to use after babies too, which I like. I have many bags that have a dry clean only exterior, and I haven't had any problems with them. That is just part of having the gorgeous fabrics. The inside (which is where the real messes occur) you can wipe clean.

With the sale, how can you resist??!! LOL!

etwahl
03-01-2004, 08:13 PM
well crap! i was already to say no to the sally spicer tote, because of some others' comments, but now you've got me thinking again! i was ready to just buy an ella and an ISM instead of the sally spicer, simply because they sound more "organized" inside. plus the insides are black on the SS, and people have mentioned things get lost with black interior. have you found that. the thing i love about the SS are those two fabrics - but then i'd have to decide between south beach and north beach. one is super fun and summery and one is more "all year" round, IMO.

dang, something more to contemplate!

ETA: which bag is heavier? i like the thought of the ella being lightweight, but also like to have something that's not going to collapse into itself (e.g. can stand up (stiff))

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

ghs517
03-01-2004, 10:45 PM
I have a SS tote, and while I love the fabric (black toile), I was unhappy with the inside. The pockets are big and everything meshes together. The bottle holders are nice, but besides that, everything seemed to jumble together. With what I put it in (which honestly doesn't seem like a lot), the snap wouldn't close, which bothered me. DH, especially, found it hard to find things, since they became easily buried. I still use the SS on occasion, but usually as a toy tote when I'm going out for a long trip, as opposed to a day-to-day usage bag. Now I use the Vera Bradley Carry All tote, which has many pockets inside and out, and I have an ISM bag which I plan to use this summer for the pool, beach, etc.

Just another perspective...
GHS, mom to Bella, 5 mos.