PDA

View Full Version : Need a travel/thin high chair cover and cart cover.

etwahl
02-28-2004, 09:10 PM
we have a buggybag, which i love for the shopping cart, but for the high chair, lauren's starting to get too big for it, and with all that padding, it makes it difficult to get her in and out (she's 19.5 pounds).

can anyone suggest one they really like that is thin (e.g. not much or no padding) and that would actually be able to travel (e.g. we can pack it in the suitcase fairly small?) i don't so much care about price as i care about functionality.

thanks!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
02-28-2004, 09:57 PM
I think that the covers4kids.com covers meet your needs!

sarahfran
02-28-2004, 11:57 PM
I just bought one online from ebay, it arrived today. Here's the item I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381852710&category=20414 (I think you have to copy/paste the link)

I haven't tried it in a cart or highchair yet, but it's very well made, was a great price ($23.95 total with shipping), and folds down into its own little attached pouch. The envelope style pouch it folds into is 8 1/2 inches by 9 inches when flat. There's no padding, but it's double ply (fully lined and reversible, no seams showing anywhere, good safety belt). It will be super easy to throw into a diaper bag. Great for travel.

This seller's store is called "Sewing up treasures", but she also seems to sell under the name jadepenni. I used "buy it now", but afterwards realized that I probably could've bid on one and gotten cheaper.

I hope this helps!

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

Jeanmick
02-29-2004, 12:22 AM
Ran across this the other day:

http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=210760&itemType=PRODUCT&lGen=detail&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=27216&iProductID=210760&change=117

Would this work for you?

HTH!

boys2enough
02-29-2004, 12:44 AM
You know that is so funny! I actually bought a cover (with lots of padding) from "Jadepenni" a while back ago. It is in blue toile and gorgeous. I don't want to sound like I am asking for credit, but I asked her at that time whether she could make me one without padding because I wanted it to be compact... She was so nice and going along with all my special request, but then I saw her latest auction of the blue toile fabric, I decided to use BIN to snatch it up.

Anyway, thank you for the link to her new offerings. I just e-mailed her and asked her whether she could make me a Pocket-pak in the same toile fabric in time. It will be great for our trip overseas in March. :) Cheers, Lin

etwahl
02-29-2004, 09:05 AM
lori, would it be compact enough to put into a diaper bag when necessary?

the other one suggested below sounds good too, but this one has more reviews on it, so i'll probably go with it. though people have said the prices are $32.99 or $35 and on the site it looks like they're low $40's. have the prices changed?

also, i like the looks of some of the toiles - beautiful toile is nice. are the fabrics nice?

thanks for the review!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
02-29-2004, 09:23 AM
i like the victorian rose one. looks pretty. you're really happy with this?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
02-29-2004, 03:31 PM
No, not compact enough for a diaper bag unless your diaper bag is pretty big! There is light padding in it, so that's why it doesn't fold super small. But it is definitely compact enough to tuck in a suitcase.

ETA: You can get a single standard cover on her site for $32.99. Some fabrics cost more, though. We got the fire engine print and have been happy with it!

sarahfran
02-29-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm very happy with the quality and appearance, but I still haven't been able to try it in a shopping cart or restaurant highchair, so I can't yet say that it's perfect from a utility standpoint. I was very tempted to go to a store today just to give it a test run, but we opted to spend the day in the sunshine instead.

It fits nicely in my diaper bag and is lightweight, etc. Do clarify with the seller what color the liner/reverse will be before you purchase. Mine turned out to be bright orange rather than the blue in the photo on ebay. I don't care at all, but thought I'd mention so you can check on it if you're concerned.

I probably won't be able to give it a test drive until Weds, but will be happy to post a review then if you like :).
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

etwahl
02-29-2004, 08:08 PM
please do! i am not going to buy it immediately, so would love a test drive :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

sarahfran
02-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Will do. >sigh< It's a hardship, but I'll just have to go shopping on Weds for the good of the group. ;) A little something to look forward to as i plough through my work week (Mon and Tues).

Stay tuned, Tammy. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

sarahfran
03-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Ok, I've now given the shopping cart cover a test run and I'm very pleased.

It slid into place beautifully, one hand with a little fiddling did the trick. The belt was nice, easy to adjust, secure. Dylan was entertained by the bright fabric, and try as he might, he couldn't find any nasty germy surfaces to touch.

He spent a lot of time sucking on the pocket on the side of the cover(pocket when on the cart, carry case when stored).

I LOVE that the whole package is easy to stow in my purse.

All in all, I'm very happy with this cart cover and have to highly recommend. Jadepenni / sewing up treasures made a very high quality item that's attractive, functional, and was inexpensive.

Although I will confess... as this was my first time using a cart cover, I was a bit self-conscious about it. I've never noticed anyone else with one. Am I just oblivious, or did I stick out like the sore thumb that I thought I was?
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

boys2enough
03-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Thank you again for sharing the info on this cover. I placed an order with Penni and should receive it soon. I can't wait. :) Now I have to figure out what to do with my current more padded version (also made by Penni).

I don't think you are being oblivious. I have only seen one other cover since last October when I bought mine. At first I was also very self-conscious, esp. when given some weird look from fellow moms. It's like a "blaming" look: Why are you doing this to make me feel bad for not having something like that? So then I often feel kind of guilty... Or I'd make a self-deprecating comment such as, "I know I am just being paranoid..." to begin a conversation on my actually very cool-looking cover. :)

etwahl
03-05-2004, 09:39 AM
thank you so much for the review sarah! i can't wait to order one now. i liked victorian rose when i first looked!

oh by the way, the only reaction i've gotten with my current cart cover is to have about 5 people come up to me each time i'm out with it and ask where i got it. practically everyone i see wants one, i can tell. they've just never heard of them or seen them. i love it, and now can't wait to get this one to travel with!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

wendinbill
03-05-2004, 10:25 AM
I just rec'd one from sewing up treasures/jade penni as well. I haven't used it yet, but I am hoping to try it out today! It is just double fabric, no quilting. But before now, my son was just going in the cart, so it's most definitely an improvement. I got Safari Animals print, and was a bit surprised that there was another fabric on the backside-I assumed the entire thing would be the one print. She was very friendly, item came quickly, and it does fit in my Timbuk 2. I will most likely just keep it in my van though. HTH!!

tigalig
03-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Thank you for your review, Sarah. I can most certainly understand you feeling self-conscious at the store, but you'll get used to it in no time. Since discovering the new covers and this board, I have been shopping and observing all of the children (some infants and some not) biting, sucking, and drooling over the carts where I shop and I feel like saying, "you could probably use a cover . . ." My DH thinks I'm a little obssessed, but he understands that I have found a support group now and that it means finding "just the right one" so that I can start worrying about something else...

I'm sure everyone was thinking just how protective and COOL you were! Thanks again for your review.

Ida

cinrein
03-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your review Sarah! Now I want one too. I'm still doing OK with the BuggyBagg in high chairs, but DH will not touch it with a 10-foot pole because it is toile. He won't even push a shopping cart with it because it's too girly. As if anyone could possibly mistake him for a girl :).

The first couple times I used my Buggybagg I felt a little strange. I think everytime I use at least 1 person stops me and asks me where I got it. Most people are impressed with it, I think. I guess there probably are some that think "paranoid mother" when they pass me, but they don't stop to share that with me. :) Anna was a total strap sucker and I would have just died if I ever caught her sucking on a nasty cart or foreign high chair strap. She also likes to put her mouth on the handle part of the cart---ewwwww.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

wendinbill
03-05-2004, 11:09 PM
I used mine at Wal-mart today & Sams Club. Fit both nicely. I could probably have one with more padding in it, but he is growing so quickly that it won't be an issue much longer. I got some funny looks, but I really don't care. Easy to put on, actually looks like a HUGE pair of granny panties!! lol!!

boys2enough
03-05-2004, 11:32 PM
I got mine today too and tried it out already (mailman showed up when I was going to the grocery store). I got the blue toile print with blue backing. Although it looks nice, I wish I had asked her to use the toile for both sides though. The solid blue backing is a little bit too bright for my taste. But it does fold small.

I was surprised to find that the pouch is attached to the cover itself and serves as the drink holder or whatever when in use. Neat design! I thought it was going to be a separate pouch.

sarahfran
03-07-2004, 11:32 PM
By the way, we used our sewinguptreasures thin cart cover on a restaurant highchair today. Another success! The attached pocket hung down nice and low next to the chair, so DS wasn't able to reach it, but I was able to stash a toy in there for when he got fussy.

Really a great design. And I think I'm adjusting to the funny looks we get for it!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)