PDA

View Full Version : Co-co craziness! I've emailed SkipHop!

ginamlee
03-01-2004, 10:43 PM
I've decided that from now on, I'm going to approach manufacturers or retailers about a co-op before I make a baby purchase.

I'm really wanting a SkipHop to use on our travel stroller. So, I emailed SkipHop this evening and am awaiting a reply.

Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Others potentially interested here, I assume?

toomanystrollers
03-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Yes - please!! All the skip hop colors co-ordinate w/the Kiwi strollers - how convenient :)

Calmegja2
03-01-2004, 10:45 PM
You crack me up, but at the same time, I think I'd like to take you shopping with me.... ;-)

I'm so impressed with how you've gotten the ball rolling! First carseatsm then strollers, then bags! What a woman! ;-)

ginamlee
03-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Well, YOU know how it is with 4 kids! Gotta be a good shopper in order to get the best for ALL the kids! (Or, at least I do!)

Funny about the strollers, too. That was the store manager's idea, but I'm not in the market for a stroller myself. (Unless the prices sway me...but then my husband might have me sleeping on the enclosed front porch along with the stroller collection...and mine's puny compared to you all's!)

neosr
03-02-2004, 12:25 AM
OOOOh, I've been eyeing that particular bag. So I'd jump in on that co-op. BTW, good job on the Britax co-op.

I think the SkipHop bags are one of the few cool ones out there that we men wouldn't mind carrying...especially attached to the stroller!

Let us know

nohomama
03-02-2004, 12:26 AM
I'd be interested. Both my E3 and my Techno are calling for a SkipHop. Or wait...mabye that was just the voices in my head. :)

boys2enough
03-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Argh, Gina, you'll be the reason why my dh leaves me at the end... LOL. ;-) Just kidding.

I shouldn't have clicked on these threads... So now I am obssessing with a SkipHop as well... AHHHH----- somebody stop me please.

mattysmom
03-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Yes, yes - I'm interested too! Thanks and I will keep my fingers crossed!

newmommah2004
03-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Would love to participate in this co-op as well.

Hope you hear some good news from them!!

wendinbill
03-02-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm interested!! Thanks SO much!!!

lmariana
03-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Ah! Why must every co-op begin right after I purchase that bag!!! I got a Loom 2 weeks ago and a Skip Hop shortly after! I think you have the right idea, ask about a co-op before buying! If only I had the patience to wait for something....

If we did get a co-op with Skip Hop, I would get a second one, just to support them. I think their bags rock!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

etwahl
03-02-2004, 10:46 AM
wow mariana, you have both a loom and a skip hop. can you tell me how they fulfill different needs for you? just looking for justification for ME to buy both :) i know the skip hop attaches to the stroller, but would it work on a P3? it didn't look that way, but i might be wrong. is the interior a lighter color?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

DDowning
03-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Along the lines of Tammy's question, I've only seen pictures of the Skip-Hop attached to umbrella strollers. Would this work with a single handle stroller? I'd like to consider this for my Y2k when I'm out and don't want to lug my bigger bags.

ginamlee
03-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Michael at SkipHop got back to me.

He worked out a discount with one of his distributors.

BabyBox sells the bag for $50. He got us a 10% coupon to use with them, making the bag $45.

Here is his note:

"If you go to www.babybox.com and use the coupon urbanb10, the Baby Bargain community users can get a 10% discount on any order of $50 or more. The coupon expires March 15th."

Now, if you all can hold off for a little bit ;), I want to email BabyBox and see if they can give us some free shipping..... :D

I'll let you know if I am successful!

ETA: By the way, the code would work on anything on the site and they also carry Fleurville bags.....

mattysmom
03-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Thank you for being so persistent! Free shipping would be GREAT - especially since babybox was ALREADY offering the 10% off (according to mariana, I think). You are terrific for doing this for all of us!
THANKS and I will wait to order until you post again!

ginamlee
03-02-2004, 02:37 PM
I've emailed Michael at SkipHop again. I told him that if we could get $42.50 with free shipping, I anticipated a large response.

I'll let you know what I hear. Again...doesn't hurt to ask.

ETA: Michael is going to see what he can do at that price. I also asked Kathleen at Baby Box about the same pricing. I don't think it is unreasonable and I'm sure they would still make a good profit.

ppshah
03-02-2004, 03:12 PM
If we get free shipping, I'm definately getting one. I need a navy bag for my navy combi US. The basket will not fit any diaper bag. We have a 3 trips coming up and I had a few questions...

1. Will the bag hang on a bar stroller handle or only on umbrella handles? I think it will b/c Mariana posted pics on her kiwi and if you can use it on shopping cart it must be okay.

2. Is it a good travel bag or is it too small? I would need to carry the following:

6 size 4 diapers
travel wipes case
lunch/snacks
sippy cup- and cooler that comes with the similac bag
toys to entertain
bib
extra clothes

And all of my stuff: wallet, keys, cell phone, small cosmetic bag with toothbrush etc. Magazine etc. water bottle.

3. I was planning on just using the freebie enfamil bag ( but it's black so wouldn't go with the navy stroller).I could just hang it off of my stoller. Is the skip hop bigger than this bag? Which do you think would work better for travel?

4. Is it comfoprtable to wear messenger style?

I really want a messenger style bag. I have a large ISM for the summer and I really love it for everyday but need a bag that can hold more for travel and that DH can use. What do you guys think? I know the more expensive messenger bags like the loom and timbuk2 are probably better but since these bags are too big for me to use everyday I can't justify the cost.

Anyone willing to talk me out of this one and say the freebie Enfamil is just as good?

boys2enough
03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
>I've emailed Michael at SkipHop again. I told him that if we
>could get $42.50 with free shipping, I anticipated a large
>response.
>
>I'll let you know what I hear. Again...doesn't hurt to
>ask.
>
>ETA: Michael is going to see what he can do at that price. I
>also asked Kathleen at Baby Box about the same pricing. I
>don't think it is unreasonable and I'm sure they would still
>make a good profit.

Gina, I wuv u!!!! :) Now you think I can fool DH by telling him that the SkipHop bag costs only $20??? lol. You are the best. Thank you for doing this! Lin

mom2kandj
03-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Deidra -

Babystyle at FI has them instock. I was bummed 'cuz the bag didn't work on my Opus Duo. I looked to quick to see if it would work on your Y2k! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

DDowning
03-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks Rose for the heads up. I need to go to FI anyway to pick up a hook at Resto.
Curious, why did it not work for the Duo?

yellowdogmom
03-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Ooh, excellent, count me in! Especially if we can get free shipping...

This will help me get over my desire for the Sally Spicer North Shore that I really want but can't bring myself to spend almost $100 on. :)

wendinbill
03-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Oh my...do I need a skip hop along with my timbuk2???????????????

mom2kandj
03-02-2004, 09:34 PM
The clip/strap part that attaches to the stroller is standard single width. I guess I *could* just use the whole strap across all three handles, but that defeats the purpose...KWIM??? Oh well...

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

youngnan
03-03-2004, 12:41 AM
If the co-op is a go, please count me in. You can let Michael or the baby box person know that a number of moms like me are on the fence because it's hard to find this bag IRL. A discount like this would definitely get me down off that fence and willing to give this bag a shot. Since they are a new company, they would benefit a lot from the word-of-mouth the sale could generate from having its product on the shoulders and strollers of moms who are inclined to write reviews! HTH :)

newmommah2004
03-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Wendinmill...

I'm in the same dilemma. Can't decide on the SkipHop or Timbuk2. they both seem so similar but they both offer diff features.

I love Timbuk2's look, hubby would not be ashamed to carry this bag, it looks great and has great reviews.

But I do love the fact that SkipHop has the two outer pouches and it can easily strap onto a stroller/cart.

Does anyone know if Timbuk2 can also easily strap onto a stroller or cart?

If the co-op comes through I think I'd def go for the SkipHop! Then what color to get???

bnme
03-03-2004, 01:07 PM
I am so excited! This looks like the perfect replacement to my sad free Similac bag that is 1yo and ripped. The size/set-up look similar. I had my eye on a Timbuk2 but it was too $$$ for me right now.....maybe if I need a larger one when #2 comes along I'll swing for the El Ocho.....

Anyway, just wondering if this deal was finalized? Do I just go and order using the coupon code?

Thanks Gina!

bethdg1
03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
If you could arrange free shipping, I will definetly be ordering one!

missliss55
03-03-2004, 03:10 PM
We have gone diaper bag crazy. This bag looks so cool and it would be perfect for our trips this summer. Recently I have ordered an Ella and ISM through the co-op's on this board and now I also want to get a SkipHop. I would love a Loom but I think my dh would would have a stroke and unplug the computer for good!!!

I would love free shipping too!

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

mattysmom
03-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Any word yet? I'm holding my breath! It would be great to save the $7.95 shipping cost that Baby Box has! Thanks again for being such a great advocate for all of us.

etwahl
03-03-2004, 05:04 PM
i'd buy one too with free shipping.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

yellowdogmom
03-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Any update on possible free shipping???

Thanks!

Ang6
03-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Hi,

I would've been interested, but I got my skip hop the other day :(
But if the co-op doesn't work, go to :
www.babybox.com
they sell it for $50 instead of $55, and if you give them this code, you'll get it for $45! It's: urbanb10

good luck! :)

DDowning
03-04-2004, 11:44 PM
Umm, that's the site that we're working with. We were waiting to see if Babybox could also offer free shipping along with that $45 price....

sarahfran
03-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Kristin,
Just wanted to tell you that your little one is adorable. I wanted to see his pic and clicked on your name to check him out. What a cutie. Congrats! When will you have him home?
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

yellowdogmom
03-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks Sarah! I'm a little partial myself...;)
I can't wait to have him home - we're hoping for May or June. Now if I can just limit myself in buying all sorts of gear there might actually be room for him left in his room when he gets here! LOL!

ginamlee
03-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Hi guys.

Here's the update. BabyBox doesn't seem particularly interested in offering much more. They said they will do free shipping OR 10% off. I really am not sure that the discount is that attractive considering the number of people interested here.

Michael from SkipHop told me on the 2nd that he would look into the $42.50 price with free shipping that I proposed. But, a couple of days passed and I didn't hear anything. So, I just emailed him again today.

I will let you know when I get a reply.

mattysmom
03-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the update! So, at BabyBox it would be either $50 with free shipping or $45 plus $7.95 shipping (so the free shipping is a better deal). Too bad that Michael never got back to you (yet). Hmm...wait for news from SkipHop or just order the bag...What are others going to do??
Thanks again, Gina!

jec2
03-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Gina,

If your efforts don't pan out there is a local maternity store that has an online store and perhaps I can see if she can offer something. They have the skip-hop and other top-name bags.

ginamlee
03-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Juliet,

It is worth a try, but I figured that we might get the best response if we worked directly with the manufacturer. However, Michael might be reluctant to undercut his retailers, and I'm assuming that he might be trying to find a retailer to work with us.

He's generally been pretty good about responding, so I hope to hear from him today. If he can't offer something definite, I think it is worth asking the maternity store owner.

I really want one of these bags for our upcoming trip. We leave on the 18th, so I might have to cave in if something isn't arranged soon! :)

yellowdogmom
03-05-2004, 03:09 PM
I just want to say thanks to you Gina for trying on this and keeping us posted on your progress! And thanks inadvance to Juliet if it goes that far. :)

I'll sit tight and wait for a good deal :)

ginamlee
03-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Juliet,

Might be time to contact your maternity store.

Michael says that the BabyBox discount is the best he can do. I agree that $45 is a good price, but the shipping charge negates the discount. I think that $45 with free shipping would be great, but BabyBox doesn't want to do that.

Let us know what you find out.

jec2
03-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Gina,

Before I call, how many do you think we have here? (I won't be getting one, but I might ask here about the Fleurville's too). I want to go with at least a pretty reasonable guesstimate. I tried to count and only came up with about 10-12 that were obviously "for sure."

Jeanmick
03-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Count me in for one! :)

DDowning
03-05-2004, 04:32 PM
You can count me in the "for sure" category. I need something for my walking stroller. My little Advent bag isn't cutting it.

ginamlee
03-05-2004, 04:33 PM
I would guess at 20 at least and probably a good bit more if we post a good price here, in the babybags and strollerSWAP Yahoo groups.

I was originally thinking about 50-60 Marathons, but that turned out a little differently.....

jec2
03-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Ok, talked with my local maternity store and she said that she would do $50 with Free Shipping on the Skip Hop. You, who are mathematically inclined, please let me know if that is a good deal and whether you want me to let here know "yes" or "no."

ginamlee
03-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Juliet,
BabyBox unofficially offered that to me as well. Would you feel comfortable asking her for $48 + free shipping so she can beat their price?

jec2
03-05-2004, 05:18 PM
I called and asked if she would/could beat that price. I actually left a message and am waiting for her to get back to me. So, we'll see. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

jec2
03-05-2004, 10:13 PM
The owner of the store I talked with hasn't returned my second call. I asked her to please let me know either way if she would meet/beat the price. I told her I wasn't pressuring her, just that we are a loyal group of women (and men) who probably would continue to shop and spread the word. Her store is so darling with great things and...oh well! If I do hear back, I will let you all know.

ginamlee
03-07-2004, 01:01 PM
No word? Eeek! I really want one of these in time for our March 18 departure....

jec2
03-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Gina,

I think the Babybox.com $48 is the better deal so I would go with that. If you think about it, the bags wholesale for $25. With free shipping costing them anywhere between $7-12, then they are only making about $10/bag.

The problem: Now I think I might want one too. Ugh. This is torture.

ginamlee
03-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Actually, BabyBox was $45 + almost $8 shipping OR she mentioned offering $50 + free shipping. I emailed today to ask for a code.

Being the eBay person that I am, I really think they could ship these things parcel post for under $5. But, anyhow, I may have to relent.

I'll let you all know when I hear back from BabyBox.

jec2
03-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Ok. If babybox falls through for the 50 free shipping then I'll call my lady back.

Eloise36
03-08-2004, 03:23 AM
Gina and Juliet,

Thanks a bunch for your efforts! I truly appreciate all your hard work to get us all the best deal on SkipHops.

- Louise and James (9/29/03)

ginamlee
03-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Here is the code for free shipping at www.babybox.com: freeshipduo

Thus, the cost at this site is $50.

I still think that somewhere out there, there must be a better deal! But, I may have to give in and order so I can have this in time for my trip.

mattysmom
03-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Gina! I've been waiting for your email. I'm going away on the 19th, so I will order today, and oh well, maybe someone will a little bit better of a deal, but we'll have them for our vacations!

cimberdog
03-08-2004, 06:52 PM
I'd be interested in the Skip-Hop bag! They do fit on Maclaren Volos and Techno XT's, right?