PDA

View Full Version : AmeriBag Healthy Back Baby Bag???? or Timbuk2 PeeWee

bubbaray
03-02-2004, 05:55 PM
http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/healthy_back_bag_reg_baby_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=3201

Has anyone had any experience with this bag? Is it really more comfortable? I have back problems and am not supposed to carry purses/totes on one shoulder (like a normal diaper bag).

I am considering either this or the Timbuk2 PeeWee.

Thanks!
Melissa

Calmegja2
03-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Ooh! OOh! I have both!

So ask away...what specifically do you want to know between the two?

The HBB is comfy, and has great organization, but the way I pack it, it gets poofy. A lighter packer would probably get a sleeker look. And I have to admit, it didn't do much for me stylistically, but functionally, it's great.

I always wore it messenger style (I'm not using it right now).

I use my T2 now, and prefer it, but I think MamaKath(?) uses her HBB all the time, so she might have more insight into it....

I love the T2. I love how I wear it, and I love how it hangs on the stroller. I love how quickly the strap adjusts to hang it, and that it's kind funky/techno looking. I also love the organization it provides. I'm very happy with mine.

bubbaray
03-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks so much for the speedy reply! :)

OK, here are my questions:

The HBB seems quite large from the photos. When you pack it fully, is it heavy? Does it only have the one bottle compartment or is there one for mom/dad on the outside and one for baby's bottle on the inside? Will it hang on a stroller?

The T2PW -- did you have it custom made with the center divider/pocket? What kind of stroller are you hanging it on? (I have a PP Pliko). Oh, and is there anywhere to put a bottle on the PW? I have the El Ocho, but it is HUGE!!!

And lastly, which of the two is more "daddy" friendly? My DH seems to think he won't need a diaper bag -- ha ha ha!!!

Thanks so much for your help! :)

Melissa
expecting #1 April 19 and already addicted to diaper bags!

Calmegja2
03-03-2004, 01:07 PM
>Thanks so much for the speedy reply! :)
>
>OK, here are my questions:
>
>The HBB seems quite large from the photos. When you pack it
>fully, is it heavy? Does it only have the one bottle
>compartment or is there one for mom/dad on the outside and one
>for baby's bottle on the inside? Will it hang on a
>stroller?

Yes, I actually think it is, but it can be alleviated by wearing it messenger style. It just kinda poofs out on me, but I'm a notorious overpacker. It's just not sleek when packed.

There are pockets galore on it....I use the outer one for my water bottles, and interior pockets for sippies.

It will hang on a stroller, but it's an awkward (kidney) shape to do so, and isn't as easily accessible as other bags when hanging.

My T2 has an interior pocket (the center divider), which makes it wonderful, in addition to the other pockets that are naturally found in the T2 design.

My T2 hangs on a MB, a Zooper EZ, Vogue, and Pliko.

More Daddy friendly? Definitely the T2. My DH will carry it without question.... ;-)

Ask again if you think of more.

peasprout
03-03-2004, 01:42 PM
This is great! I'm also deciding between these and the Baby Sherpa. Is the interior pocket (the center divider) on the T2 standard, or did you have to special order it? Also, is the Pee Wee big enough to fit gear for two little ones? Thanks!

Calmegja2
03-03-2004, 01:56 PM
I had to add the center divider, it was a minimal charge.

I have four kids, carry diaper gear for one, and a million other things for everyone else. It works really well for us.

MamaKath
03-03-2004, 06:35 PM
Hi I have the Healthy Back and use it as my main bag. I like that I can put nearly as much in it as in a school backpack style bag without it feeling nearly as heavy, or can pack it really lightly with basics. I am looking at a Little Tripper only for its more sleek purselike appearance. So onto your questions... :-)

Is it heavy? It can be if you overpack it, and depending on what you have in it. Definitely feels lighter on!

Pockets- There is a bottle pocket on the side end, as well as a bunch of others on the sides and insides. I usually put my water on the outside sleeve, their sippies in another pocket (outside side or interior).

Hang on stroller- It does hang easily on any of my strollers (click the link below to see them, I can take a picture of it packed and on the Pliko if it would help you visualize it) though it looks kind of funny due to its shape, lol. I love that the zipper then faces up, and I can quickly get things out.

Other things I love...The changing pad, though small compared to some is perfect! Most bags I take the pad out, and leave it home (I have a bunch of bags that I need to sell, that I can't find the pads to, lol) It has a diddy bag that I put my diapers and wipes with some ziplocs in. I am able to grab them out for quicker changes, and use the pockets for all my other stuff. I am amazed at how easily I can find things, and love having no middle "section" taking away from space in the main compartment (my biggest gripe right now with my more traditional messenger style bags). It also has a little coin purse in it. It is also lightweight when empty too, so many I have tried are HEAVY when you start!

I can fit in it for long outings...outfit for 2 year old, undies and socks for 4 year old, snacks (6 packs of raisins, 2 packs of cookies, 2 packs of crackers), 2 sippies, 4 diapers, wipes, ziplocs, changing pad, bib, ointment, handcream, my stuff in a little ziploc (emergency money, pads, tampax), a couple toys, crayons, coloring book, magazine, datebook, checkbook, wallet, keys, pens, my water bottle. I think that is it ;-) For short trips I take less, but that is the max type packing that fits. I use a backpack and add more toys, but it is way more bulky! For shorter trips I take much of that out, and keep my basics in it.

As to the Timbuk2 and dh's- I took mine to check out the Timbuk2 that a friend had. He felt more comfortable with the looks of the Healthy Back bag than with the Timbuk2, as well as wearing it. I think he felt it was a bit more discreet too. But he isn't carrying it often enough for me to allow that to overly influence any diaper bag decision, iykwim. (He works long hours, more days a week then I would like!:-()
HTH~

bubbaray
03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
This is wonderful feedback! I am still torn between the two, but may have to just get both! :)

Thanks again,
Melissa