PDA

View Full Version : Ella tote or backpack?

lmladuke
03-04-2004, 02:46 PM
In my continuing confusion about Ela Bags, I am now contemplating the backback versus the original Elaine or Lily tote. Presently I have 2 diaper bags - a gap nylon backpack and a coach tote. I don't use the coach tote very often because it is big and gets bulky. It is more for overnight visits. I use the backpack every day. There are 3 outside pockets, but no inside ones - so everything inside gets all jumbled together.

I was firm on the Ella tote (or so I thought) but now am wondering if the backpack is a better option? It will be used for 2 kids - a 3 year old and a newborn.

Looking for feedback from others. Or is another brand bag a better option? I just love the Ella Fabrics - but what the heck, I can always just get a smaller tote from Ella for me!!!

Lori

papal
03-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Lori,
You cannot go wrong with either an Ella tote or a backpack imo. If you have not already, there were a ton of posts discussing the Ella styles and people have posted pics of the backpack the Elaine and the Lily.
Really, i think there are two type of people.. people who like backpacks and those who don't.
People who like them like their convenience.. both hands are free.. don't have to worry about straps falling down. People who don't like them, don't , because you cannot get things out very easily and just as a style issue.
I had to face the same decision as you and finally went with an Elaine.
But since you say you have been using a backpack, maybe you want to stick with that? The Ellas have upto 6 interior pockets and 2 exterior on the backpacks so that could solve your internal organization problem. With 2 babies, i can see why the backpack would be more convenient.
OR you could wait till the next co-op and get both!! :)

lmladuke
03-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Rashmi:

You are a bad influence - encouraging me to buy 2 bags :) As if I need much encouragement!!! I think I will roam some of the archives again to see the posts comparing both

Lori

blnony
03-04-2004, 06:18 PM
There is always the ISM backpack/tote too! :D
It can be both and is great; the organization is super.
Its heavier than any of the Ella's but a good option to look at.
If you think you might like the backpack, I'd probably go with that option; but her prices are so great, that you could do a tote and BP for the price of one ISM (during the next co-op.)
Sorry I'm not helping, but I just thought I'd throw out another idea.

www.imstillme.com

jasabo
03-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I just received my Ella tote (Elaine) and I really love it. The pockets inside are great and it's very roomy. It's very well made and looks beautiful. My only regret is that I didn't get a snap on the straps because they keep falling down my arm. I'm going to sew on a snap myself.

That said, I think I'm more of a backpack person. I like the convenience of having both hands free. But I don't like having to take it off to get into it, and having to unzip it and root through everything - like you said, it's all jumbled up. That's why I bought the Ella tote.

I've now decided to get an ISM backpack, because it can be used as a tote or backpack - I love that versatility. Also, the organization inside looks fabulous and it has a wide opening without a zipper, so I'll just be able to reach in and get what I need. We have a BabyBaks backpack right now, and it's huge and hard to find things. I'll probably switch back and forth between the ISM and Ella, and will keep the BabyBaks in the car with extra supplies.

ISM is a little more expensive, but the bags get great reviews on this bb. I don't like her fabric selection as much as Ella, but she's offering more choices this month. Hopefully there'll be some fun ones.

Have fun shopping!

Lisa - mom to 8 month old twin boys

papal
03-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Lisa, do you have pics of your new Ella? I would love to see it!

tigalig
03-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Lori, I just ordered my Elaine from ella and was sure I wanted a Lily for the next co-op when I saw Laura's and Maureen's pictures of their backpacks on this board. I don't usually care for backpacks, but I'll have a three year old and a six month old this summer and I just don't know where my hands/arms will be so I, too, am considering a backpack now. Check out the following threads that I keep going back over:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=3025&mesg_id=3025&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=2369&mesg_id=2369&listing_type=search

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=3096&mesg_id=3096&listing_type=search

Ida

jasabo
03-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Sadly, no - we suffered a minor tragedy in our house last night. I was taking pictures of the boys in the tub and accidentally dropped the digital camera right in there with the boys :( It was like it happened in slow motion...I saw it dropping into the water and I made a grab for it, but wasn't quick enough. Thankfully, it was old and we'd gotten it for free, and I'd just uploaded all my pix onto the computer so I didn't lose much. BUT I now need to buy a new camera. Oy!!

Sorry to digress - we'll be buying a new camera this weekend and I'll take some pictures and post them. It really is a beautiful bag. This looks almost exactly like mine, except I got the Elaine style:

http://ella-bags.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=Fashion_Girls_Black&Category_Code=Casual

The inside is a light pink, which makes it very easy to see everything. I really like it. I'll post pix...

Lisa

jayhjay
03-05-2004, 03:06 PM
I tend to use my tote styles in the winter and my backpacks in the summer. I find it is easier to sling it onto your back w/o a coat so I tend to use the backpacks more in warmer weather. Plus I tend to be doing more outdoors, hands free kind of stuff. In the winter, the tote bag style seems easier to maneuver.

supersparkee
03-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Lisa -

I ordered pretty much that exact bag! I ordered the Elaine with Fashion Girls Black fabric with a black bottom, Watermelon Stripe band (not piping) and pink interior. Did you get the Watermelon stripe piping? I haven't gotten mine yet, though - it's been almost 3 weeks since I placed my order (and I can hardly wait!). How do you like yours? How does it look IRL - I was a little unsure if I should get the stripe or a solid band and was thinking about calling and changing it to solid (but being wishy-washy). I'll keep an eye out to see if you post pics (sorry about your camera - my mom just had a digital camera accident too - dropped it in her driveway and ran over it with her car).

jasabo
03-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Oh wow, we've got matching bags! That's so cool! I got the watermelon stripe piping. I wasn't really sure about that and told them I wanted either the watermelon piping, or a plain pink that matched, and kind of left it up to them. I'm wishy-washy when it comes to decision making too. It looks really nice though. It matches really well, although I think in a way it detracts a little bit from the Fashion Girls pattern...it's almost a little bit too busy. But not much. I just love the Fashion Girls fabric so much. It's really fun. I wish I'd had the guts to get something really fun as trim, like pink ostrich feathers, but I didn't think it'd be very practical with twin boys.

I'm really happy with it. I've used it twice and it's been great. Everything stays in the pockets, it's roomy and very well made. I'm sure you'll like yours. I'll post pictures this weekend.

You must be so anxious! I don't know how you're so patient. I have no patience whatsoever. I actually paid the extra $10 fee to make it a rush order. I got it in a week. Well worth the $10 in my opinion. But like I said, I'm a real baby when it comes to waiting for things. Hope your bag arrives very soon!!!

Lisa