PDA

View Full Version : I must be too picky -- ISM question

phirey
03-04-2004, 09:51 PM
After nearly a year of drooling over ISM bags thanks to you guys, I ordered one in the last co-op. I got it about two weeks ago and have used it about three times. Am I the only one who doesn't like it? The pockets seem so great for organization, but I found after one short day of errand-running, my stuff was all over the bag. I was just trying to keep two size 4 diapers, wipes case, one sippy cup, two munchkin containers with munchies, a very small diaper changing pad, an itty bitty bottle of alcohol hand gel, and my free "mommy bag" with just my wallet and hand lotion in it. Is that too much? I found the wipes case didn't fit nicely anywhere, the diapers can't be in the side pocket "upright" without flopping over and falling out, in fact because of the angle of the pockets, most stuff slid out pretty easily.

Am I weird? I don't have a huge bag collection like many of you. In fact, we've gone over a year with the one and only bag I registered for: the big red baby trend bag available at BRU. Otherwise I usually toss the above stuff in my usual purse and do fine.

So, since the ISM isn't doing the trick for me, based on my description, what would you all suggest?

Thanks,

etwahl
03-04-2004, 10:02 PM
well i don't have an ISM, but i've been wanting one. dang! you're making me not want one now.

i just ordered a Loom Marsupial, and it sounds very good for organization and such. maybe read a bit on that one?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

coffeemug230
03-04-2004, 10:27 PM
I got one too. I don't really see an organization issue and the bag keeps thing neat and I put a lot more in it. For me though the "tote" style just isn't me. I loved the pretty fabrics but the truth is I am not a vera bradley like girl.

I got my Loom today and LOVE it. But before Mommy-hood I owned 2 Kate Spade messenger bags.

tapr
03-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Peggy-

I have the same problem! (thought I was the only one) I find it very difficult to keep the bag organized. I think the pockets are too shallow at the bottom if that makes sense. Most of my stuff ends up slipping out and ends up at the bottom of the bag.

I am bummed but on the hunt for something else, maybe the Loom. I need something that will help me stay organized!!!

Tracey
DS 9/28/02
DS 2/2/04

cinrein
03-05-2004, 12:39 PM
I don't have an ISM, but I'm sorry you're not happy with it. Will
they take it back? I would first try to return it and eat the shipping cost. Aside from that, maybe someone on the diaperbag swap would like it.

Diaper bags are a very personal thing---much like purses. What one loves another hates, so don't feel like you should like this bag. I think part of the reason some here own so many bags is that we're still searching for the "perfect" bag.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

missliss55
03-05-2004, 02:25 PM
I am waiting for my ISM to get here any day now. After I saw pictures of the Loom I wondered if that would be a better bag instead. Well I guess I will just have to wait till I get it to see if I like it.

Melissa and Emma (4/16/03)

jayhjay
03-05-2004, 03:03 PM
I actually don't have too much trouble keeping mine organized. My biggest problem is getting lazy and just throwing stuff in. But when I put things in the pockets, they seem to stay. I put my diapers in the pockets up and down. They flop over but don't fall out. The stuff that is in the middle sort of holds it in, kwim? Generally I use the pockets for diapers, glasses, pda, disposable bibs, small items. Then I put the ditties bag on the bottom and my wipes box, wallet, burp cloth, etc on top. I have an XL though, so maybe the size helps hold more. But I agree, the pockets are an open style so they don't hold things tightly.

ppshah
03-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Do you like the bag otherwise- fabric/size etc. If you do like it, I think can you can make the pockets work...it just takes a little trial and error. If you don't like the bag you can try to return it or sell it.

My stuff stays in place. I think the problem is you need something in the middle at the bottom to keep things in place.

I just went to park with th e bag. It's such a pretty day we had snack outside.

This is how I packed it:

I put the freebie similac cooler pack in the middle. I think the key is to have something in the middle to hold that space so the things in the pockets stay put. I either have the cooler or a spare outfit depending on what we are doing.

I put the two size 4 diapers, huggies disposable changing pad and travel wipes pack all in one large center pocket. The diapers stay upright.

In the other big center pocket I had my wallet. Sometime I also have my PDA or mommy pouch. In the summer I'm planning on keeping a hat for DS in this pocket.

In the 4 side pockets I had a water bottle for me, small container with cheerios, cell phone, bib & washcloth.

Loose in the bag on top were a couple of toys for DS.

What type of closure did you get? I have a button/loop and I almost always keep it close. I can still reachin and grab things but keeping it closed also helps keep things in place.

HTH

elvisfan
03-05-2004, 11:21 PM
I wanted an ISM at one point in time but settled on a lookalike from ebay-which, truth be told, has worked out well....

Vajrastorm
03-08-2004, 02:55 PM
>I actually don't have too much trouble keeping mine
>organized. My biggest problem is getting lazy and just
>throwing stuff in. But when I put things in the pockets, they
>seem to stay.

Me too.

I can see how the pockets are loose-ish. I have a L and an XL ISM bag.

I don't mind the chaos (even the self inflected chaos) because I LOVE the way it looks and the tote style. I am very much a tote diaper bag kind of gal.

phirey
03-09-2004, 09:32 PM
I think I've decided to sell it -- it's just not for me. When I get around to taking pictures I'll put it on the swap site, but for now if anybody's interested in it, it's the tailored stripe one -- khaki and rust stripe. If anybody's interested, let me know at "junk4tuttlez at mindspring dot com."

Thanks!

robmab719
03-12-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm selling mine, too. I have two problems...first, I should've gotten the XL size. Large is just not big enough. Second, I don't like the way the top is always gaping open with the snap hook closure. I feel like everything is going to fall out everytime I bend down to pick up Avery's pacifier off the ground! And I know what you mean about the pockets. They do seem a bit shallow for the wipes holder and the diapers. It's just not working. I ended up ordering a Skip Hop through the co-op. At least it has zippers and is a little deeper to hold all my stuff.

JennyA
03-12-2004, 07:01 PM
I have an ISm BP and someone I work with is loving mine but doesn't want to spend too much $$$$ . Maybe it could work for both of you. I'll ask her Monday and see what she says. I guess it's just a personal thing - I do love mine :-) jenny

phirey
03-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Great! Let me know. I LOVE the look, I'm just not organized enough for this thing... Email me at the eddress I posted above and that way I'll be sure to see it (I'm not on the boards as much these days).