PDA

View Full Version : Got my ISM...I'm not in love, though.

parkersmama
03-13-2004, 02:13 AM
I received my ISM bag. It's a backpack in the yellow/white/blue Provence fabric. I love the fabric itself! It's so beautiful and summery. The quality of the bag is outstanding. It definitely stands up on it's own and is very sturdy. It's not overwhelmingly large by any stretch for me.

I tried it out in a real life situation for the first time today...a trip to the park and a dinner out. I have a couple of complaints...first the snap hooks (the nickel kind) are very hard to operate! It hurts my fingers to do them. This wouldn't be a big deal except that with the backpack style, I'm pretty much undoing one or two of them every time I get into the bag. Secondly, I can't seem to get it organized well. Even with the pockets, it just feels all thrown in there. I got the matching changing pad but wish I'd just saved my money...it's very nice but takes up way too much room inside the bag. Here's what was in it today:
flexible wipes packet (freebie from pampers)
2 fitted diapers
1 Bumpy Day cover (very thin!)
the matching changing pad
an Avent sippy cup
a Glad throw away small cup with cheerios
2 snack size ziploks with cookies/crackers
the mom pouch with my lipstick and cell phone
keys (attached to key hook)
a small Lands' End diaper bag wet bag for wet/dirty dipes
3 small toys
1 board book
a sunhat for AG
a sweater for AG (not normally in our bags)

Man, was it packed! It seemed very full and I was surprised since I don't feel like this was an overly large amount of stuff. I mean, I didn't even have sunglasses, diaper cream, activity for older kids, sunscreen, etc. in it. The diapers and cover were down in the center section with the book alongside them and the sweater and hat thrown on top. Guess I'm going to have to seriously learn to be a lighter packer! LOL!

etwahl
03-13-2004, 08:49 AM
denise, i'm sorry you didn't like it that much. but it is helping me, because i want to get another diaper bag in addition to my loom (which i love).

do you think the organization problem is because it's a backpack style, or do you think the tote style would have the same problems for you? what do you think would be a better solution for you at this point? or do you even know?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

kensjen
03-13-2004, 11:26 AM
I know what you mean. I sent mine back, I just didn't like it enough, especially for what it cost. The pockets are nice, but then that just leaves the part in the middle (not so big) and then everything else gets thrown on top. So I didn't feel it kept me as organized as I thought it would. I was also surprised by the size, or at least what I could fit in there.

Every time there are new fabrics, I look...and get tempted, and then I remember my experience in the past. The bags are gorgeous, extremely well made...but sadly, just do not work for me. :(

I love the Loom and can't wait for it to get here. Finally a diaper bag I won't send back! LOL!

parkersmama
03-13-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm not really sure where to go from here. I really love the idea of the Loom but I wanted the fun, summery fabric of the ISM. :( I guess I am considering ordering a Marsupial. I'd love to get a look at the *inside* of the Bandicoot! I like the handbag part of it (snap-on, long strap, etc) but wonder about the inside organization.

The ISM that I have is (I think) exactly the same as the XL tote, it just has the straps configured so that they can be changed around and be a backpack. I really don't think that the ISM tote would be any better for me. I never realized that I'm a heavy packer! I try to take a minimal number of things but I guess not according to those who make these bags. I don't *want* to carry a huge diaper bag around! LOL! I've also been considering a T2 bag but again, the fabric doesn't jazz me. I've been carrying those ballistic nylon type bags (Lands' End, etc) for so long because I had little boys that I want something more fun and feminine!

ETA: I wonder about returning the ISM, though. I got it through the co-op and had her make a change to the interior pockets...they are in a chambray blue instead of navy in hopes of helping the black hole effect (didn't help much). Do you guys know how she is about returns?

kathsmom
03-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Denise,

I am going to try to cut and paste the return policy that is on the website for ISM. I don't think it's returnable, because it was packed with your things and was used. From the way the policy reads, I assume that once you put your items in the bag, it's yours to keep, even if you never took it out of the house.

Here is the return policy stated on the ISM website:

Q Do you accept returns?
A Yes. If you have purchased one of our "standard" bags, and are not happy with your purchase for any reason, we will accept your return or exchange and will refund your purchase price, exclusive of postage and handling charges. The UNUSED bag must be returned in the original packing within 7 days of receipt. SORRY, NO RETURNS ON USED BAGS or CUSTOM ORDERS. (Please note that a bag is considered used once it has been packed with your things, so PLEASE inspect your purchase carefully before packing it!)

Take care and good luck!

toomanystrollers
03-13-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm still feeling the ISM love but I'm sure I'll be sorely tempted when I see Jen's Loom LOL

I tend to use mine more as a purse and leave all the extra stuff permanently packed in my car in a backpack. And it doesn't matter how many pockets my bags come with - everything ends up all over the place!!

momathome
03-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Denise-
I pm'd you - let me know if you got it!
-Lauren

parkersmama
03-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Yeah, sounds like. Also, it's probably considered a custom order since I made that change to it on the pocket color. Heh. Who knew? Guess I should have paid more attention to the policy, huh? But, really, how can you know if you'll like it if you never pack the dern thing with your stuff?! I sometimes pull the tissue out of purses in the store and put my stuff in to see how they work and I've never had even one complaint about it from the clerks!

kathsmom
03-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Denise,

Maybe you could just sell it through the swap or the babybags group on yahoo. I agree - how can you know if it will work for you if you don't pack your things in it? As long as you don't get anything on the bag, I don't see how it could be considered "used". I have been in BRU and I have taken out all the paper in a diaper bag and put all of Andrew's stuff in it to try it out and no one has ever said anything to me. I have been in Nordstrom looking at Kate Spade bags. I asked the sales clerk if I could just put my change purse and checkbook in a Kate Spade bag to see if it would fit. She told me to put everything I wanted to carry in there and try it out! I think the ISM policy is a little strict, but I wonder if she has gotten "burned" in the past on returns.

I am so sorry that you aren't happy with it. Maybe if you explain to the ISM lady (I'm sorry, I can't remember her name) that you are having trouble with the closure (i.e, it hurts your hands), maybe she will take it back. Good luck!

phirey
03-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi Denise!

I got mine through the coop and had the exact same experience. I can't get near as much stuff in the ISM as I usually carry around (and I consider myself a light packer). I already posted once asking for advice on packing the thing, tried packing it again, and just came to the conclusion that ISM bags don't work for me. One day soon I'll take some pictures and post it on the swap. :-(

Anyway, I hope to see you soon at the next Georgia get together!