PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Loom Marsupial and Watermelon Clutch!

sbjf
03-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Here's my quickie review and an important question at the end...

I do love it!

At first it took me a minute to unflatten it from the Fed Ex box and get the shape looking right, then it looked good. I played with the changing pad (sturdy but small-I'll probably also use disposable changing pads in addition to this) and I played with the stuff sack, this was a good size.

Then I tried on my clutch and I was happy that that fit nicely without me needing to adjust it at all on my wrist. I toyed around with the carabiner key clip, sturdy without being stiff or hard to open, and I clipped my clutch onto that, a perfect fit.

I put the Marsupial on messenger style and nearly stangled myself, lol...I had to adjust the strap to the last two holes for it to work for me. I'm 5"7 1/2 and I can wear it mesg. style but it does not fall long on me, it hits my waist probably, and this is on the last notches, so that might be something to keep in mind if you prefer your mesg. style bags to come to your butt area. Any other Marsupial owners have any thoughts on this aspect of the bag?

I feel the size is perfect. Any bigger and I wouldn't feel able to use it as my daily bag, and any smaller and it wouldn't be big enough for me to use as my daily bag. Of course, all the compartments are awesome, practical, convenient, multiple, etc. just like everyone else has said :-)

Interesting tidbit...***My red Marsupial does NOT have a blue 'Loom' logo on the front of it. It has the black logo on the strap, I like this but the blue logo wouldn't have bothered me either. However, my Watermelon clutch DOES have a tiny blue 'Loom' logo tag on the front, the fact that it has it and the Marsupial doesn't slightly bugs me, I sort of wish it didn't have it on there just because my Marsupial doesn't, if that makes any sense. But, it's not worth me sending it back, it doesn't bother me that much at all, plus maybe all the clutches will continue to have the blue tag, as opposed to the Marsupials where it appears that they have phased out the blue logo on the front.

IMPORTANT QUESTION...***Dh was home when I received the bag and I was showing him all the neat features. Well, when I showed him that the bag closed via super strong magnetic closures he said 'Oh, well you're not going to be able to carry any credit cards then.' WHAT??!!<insert screeching tires sound>??!!

Apparently the magstipe on the back of credit cards can get broken down by exposure to magnets. I checked his info on http://money.howstuffworks.com/credit-card3.htm and found this..."The most common causes for erased magstripes are exposure to magnets, like the small ones used to hold notes and pictures on the refrigerator, and exposure to a store's electronic article surveillance (EAS) tag demagnetizer."

I asked him if he thought my cards would be protected if kept in my wallet in the clutch in the marsupial, but he didn't think so. Is this true ladies? Have you heard of this? I don't feel like bothering Johanna about this but I guess I might have to.

Ok, now even if the credit card thing is an issue, I will still keep this bag because I don't believe there is a better one out there for me. This is it! As of right now (meaning...don't hold me to it) the only other one I may get one day is the Bandicoot if I feel I need to downsize at some point.

:-)

etwahl
03-13-2004, 12:31 PM
1. yes, i totally agree with you about the length of the straps. i am 5'7" also and don't feel it sits very low, which is a bit irritating. especially since it's adjustable. i have it on the last rungs, and would prefer it to be a bit lower than it is.

2. mine has the blue circle on it, and now i'm wondering why. i'm wondering if i should exchange it for one that DOESN'T have it? what do you all think?

3. the credit card thing sure is a concern for me. i never would have thought that. now i'm freaked out. i NEED my credit cards to work. i never carry cash. that is not good news to me, so i would love to find out if that is indeed true.

ACK!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Chelsey333
03-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I don't know if the magnets can wear out the strip on the credit card. But if they do, it is not a big deal. The sales clerk will just have to type in the # instead of swiping it. It is a great bag, though - Definitely worth the risk!

papal
03-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Maybe you can make a pocket with aluminum wrap like Reynolds and put your credit cards in there and then into your wallet? I think the wrap will prevent any damage from magnets. That is what my cousin told me when i had to mail her EZPass back to her. Let me ask dh when he returns and edit this if it is wrong info.

lmariana
03-13-2004, 01:01 PM
I've been using my Loom for a couple of weeks now, with my credit cards inside, and have had NO problems with my cards. I think the risk is if you rub the magnetic strip against a magnet...a lot.

I just keep them inside my wallet. No problems!

Hope this helps!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

cvharris
03-13-2004, 10:43 PM
I got mine in red, and I love both! The color is great! My marsupial doesn't have the blue logo in front, either, but the black logo on the strap. And my watermelon clutch has the small blue tag, but I barely noticed it. I love the fabric of the bags.

I didn't think about the potential for my credit cards to have a problem with the magnetic parts, but that is good to know. I keep my credit cards in my wallet, too, so hope nothing happens to them.

As for my review, I agree with you ladies about the strap length. I like my bags to hang low on my hip and I've also got it on the last hole settings which works well enough for me, but I'm only 5'5". I think she needs to make it longer for taller folks. Love the pockets - I've been playing around with the best packing configuration for me. I think the changing pad is way too small, but I feel that way about all changing pads except the Lands End ones, which are too bulky!

I use cloth diapers which are bulky to pack and I almost feel like the bag doesn't have a lot of space for many bulky things, but then again, I can't imagine carrying a bigger bag, either. I need to start packing lighter, or just throw things in a bag that stays in the car that I can grab stuff from.

All in all, I LOVE it!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

parkersmama
03-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Carolee, how many CDs do you usually carry? I generally take two fitteds plus a cover. Also, I carry a wet bag but usually just a plastic grocery sack for this purpose. I do use disposable wipes for the diaper bag, though. I'm wondering what you use so I can get a general idea of fit. TIA!

cvharris
03-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Denise, I usually carry two pre-stuffed fuzzibunz. I also carry a happy tushies wet bag and another matching happy tushies bag for my wipes and squirt bottle. It's the wipes/bottle bag that's taking a lot of my space! I might omit it and just use my drinking water bottle on the side of the bag and throw some wipes in the pockets.

While I do find that the insulated bottle pocket greatly cuts into the amount of space you have in the main compartment of the marsupial, I think you would be fine carrying two fitteds and a cover in the main compartment. Let me know if you want to see a pic of mine loaded up!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)