PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in Ella Bags

supersparkee
03-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I ordered a custom Elaine Diaper bag from Ella Bags on 2/14. I knew that it typically took the full 3-4 weeks for the bag to arrive from reading the posts here. I called last Saturday (3/6) to change something on my order and they indicated that my bag would be shipping in two weeks - so that meant a total of 5 weeks from order date - but I was OK with that. I got an email on Friday (3/12) from the USPS with delivery tracking information signed "Ella Bags". However, this evening, I received an email from Andrea at Ella indicating that the fabric I selected (EB426 Fashion Girls-Black Pastel) is on back order with the manufacturer and that I could either wait (no estimation on how long the wait would be) or select another fabric. I am really, really disappointed in this for three reasons:
(1) when I called last week to inquire about my bag and change the color of the band, there was no indication that there was a problem with the availability of the fabric. And the notice of the backordered fabric came 4 weeks after placing my order!

(2) I received conflicting emails - one with a package tracking number and another indicating the problem

And the most important reason
(3) my credit card was charged the day I placed the order - I build e-commerce web sites for a living and know that you aren't supposed to charge a credit card until the order is shipped. You are only supposed to do an "authorize" on a card when the order is placed to ensure it is a valid card with sufficient funds. Now I understand the rules for this may be a bit fuzzy when ordering "custom" items but I know that all of my clients typically follow the charge when ship rule when ordering physical products.

I called and left a message that I want to cancel my order but this wasn't listed as an option in the email from them. I really want to hear back tonight about this because if I can cancel my order, I want to order a Marsupial from the co-op, which ends today! Ugh!

etwahl
03-14-2004, 09:13 PM
amy, i don't blame you for being ticked off. does diaperbags.com have a return/refund policy? you could always order and then if the ella cancellation doesn't work, send it back (but i don't know their policy).

also, i think under the circumstances, ella should give you a full refund, and fwiw, i'd be ticked BIG TIME. that's actually really terrible! i'd cancel just because of the run-around. lots of people seem happy with their bags for the most part, but it seems they don't really have their "business model" fully together...just from the complaints i've read here.

but i would say it's in their best interest to cancel your order since they obviously weren't able to fulfill it within a reasonable timeframe, and if they didn't, they risk their reputation a bit.

good luck on the decision.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
03-15-2004, 12:26 AM
I've ordered many custom items, and have almost always been billed at the time I placed my order, not when the custom item ships. As long as they give you a time frame for shipping and ship within 30 days (I think) of the estimate, they are not violating federal law.

But under the circumstances that you describe, I would also cancel my order and expect a full refund.

parkersmama
03-15-2004, 09:53 AM
I have to agree with Lori that usually you are charged upon ordering for a custom product. The fact that it is custom makes the up front payment your guarantee that they won't go to the trouble and expense to make your product and you end up not purchasing it for whatever reason. The only time that I haven't been charged upon ordering was when I was told from the start that I'd be on a waiting list (such as for a Kozy Carrier or Elbee diapers). Then they don't charge until your name comes up on the list and you finalize the order.

All of that being said, I still think it is utterly ridiculous that they couldn't tell you *much* sooner that your fabric was backordered. I agree that you should cancel the order and state your reasons to them if you want to cancel. I also think that they should notify you if your order is going to take longer than the initial stated wait and give you the option at that time to cancel if you choose.

It does seem like the Ella folks have been totally overwhelmed by the growth of their company. Doing this co-op, selling on eBay, opening a store, and going with PoshTots all at once doesn't seem wise to me. They have had a lot of mistakes on orders as well as a long wait associated with their bags. I don't think I'll be ordering from them until they seem to get their stuff straightened out! :)

Hope it all works out for you! Let us know what you decide and what their response is!

Dscvrlifewith3
03-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I read/lurk in this forum because I am an artisan who owns my own business and I make diaper bags/purses/totes and I get so many great ideas and feedback about products from here (and a search engine lead me here when my name was listed here in comparison to another product -- o my). I will not say which one I own because I believe that is against forum policy.

Even though Ella-Bags is a competitor, I do want to defend them in some way. :) When placing a custom order at least half or full payment is expected, this is the nature of the business. Often fabrics are ordered for that specific order if not instock or the items are run through an assembly like production. For my business, I have a queue that each bag goes through -- for example, non-dry clean only fabrics are washed and pressed, than cut, than they go to be monogrammed -- often with other orders, than they are ironed and all the parts are placed together -- than they go into the sewing queue. When you have 40-50 orders in front of you it can get confusing. Especially if you are growing fast and you have five Karen's ordering similar bags and you are juggling a business with family from your home. Is this good business practice? Well sometimes it just can't be helped. (and with the OP situation she should have been notified ASAP)

However I do understand your frustration. Customers should be made aware if there are any immediate problems to their order, like back orders, fabrics not matching, or shipping delays.

Have a great day!
Kim

supersparkee
03-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your insight regarding ordering a custom bag. I can definitely see the point in charging at least something when a custom order is placed. At my company we actually always do a 50/50 split on contracts (50 when signed and 50 when delivered) - not the same line of business but the same principal.

I also completely agree that Ella Bags seems to be suffering greatly from "Growing Pains". And I'm not mad at all, just disappointed. I hope to hear back from them today. Someone mentioned they are opening a store - is it in Georgia? I live in Atlanta.

I do have one bag on the way - I ordered a PP shrimp roll backpack during that co-op so I think I'll wait a while until buying the next bag. Although I really wanted to purchase two diaper bags of drastically different styles and fabrics to give me a little variety!

I love the organization and size of the Loom Marsupial bags based on the pics posted here (I haven't seen one IRL). But I couldn't decide on a color so I didn't order one. I also thought about the Bumble Pucci print because I loved the colors but didn't like the rhinestones - so hard to choose! I think I'll wait and see if Loom is coming out with new print fabrics in the future and maybe get one then (I think I'll email Johanna about it actually). I'm not too keen on the vinyl outer layer of the Fleurville bags so I LOVE the fact that Loom actually puts a coating on their printed fabric, instead of slapping a layer of vinyl on top. Think there will be another Loom co-op this summer?

kelly ann
03-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Amy-

So sorry that your fabric was back-ordered. I know the 3 weeks I waited for my Ella and ISM felt like 3 months. I just couldn't wait to see them IRL.

I think there is supposed to be a discount coming up this week for member of this board at www.pokkadots.com

Maybe you can find something there ;)

supersparkee
03-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Andrea called me this morning. There was a mix up and she emailed me in error about the back-ordered fabric (which explains the conflicting emails). My bag was actually completed and has already been shipped. She did apologize profusely as well for the mix-up. So I guess I'm getting my bag after all! Unfortunately, someone else is going to get the back-ordered fabric email today.

FYI - I talked to her about the store opening, which is scheduled for April 1. It's going to be in Ringgold, GA, which is about 20 miles south of Chattanooga on I-75. They are actually working to compile names of customers in the region to send them invites to the opening.

parkersmama
03-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Amy,
That's great news about your bag! I'm glad it had actually already shipped. I had the opposite happen with my ISM bag...they sent me a message that it had shipped and then I got a call a few days later saying that the email was an error and they were still waiting for the strap fabric. I know it must be very hard to keep this all straight as a home business that is being bombarded with orders! :)

parkersmama
03-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Sorry!

lmariana
03-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Yay! My alma matter, Berry College, is very close to Ringgold, GA! I had no idea they were so close to me. I'll have to drag all my pregnant friends up there for a bag design party!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

jasabo
03-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Wow! What a mess! I would have been pretty mad too, and would definitely have cancelled my order. But it sounds like it all worked out and you'll be getting your bag. Yay! I hope you like it! I ordered an Elaine with black fashion girls and I really love it. It's a really fun print.

Lisa - mom to 9 month old twin boys