PDA

View Full Version : Ella bags vs. Ebay bags

ivparker
03-15-2004, 01:16 AM
I was just wondering if people who like the Ella bags like them for any major reason other than they are adoreable? I've been thinking of getting one but I went on Ebay and found some by designers like Janine King, OKID, Bebe and Me and they look very similar to the Ella bags and in some cases even have the same fabric as the Ella bag offers. But I could pobably get one of these bags for $25. They have a range from 3-5 pockets. Is there anything else I should be concerned about or looking for in a bag? Has anyone bought one of these bags and found them to be good, too? Just wondering.
TIA
Ivanna

heidi_timms
03-15-2004, 02:46 AM
I have never tried any of these other bags, but I always look at bags by Marketa NY. She has some funky new prints that look really cute like pucci!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3466377410&category=15730

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

parkersmama
03-15-2004, 09:26 AM
For anyone looking for a Nova Check bag, Marketa has one up on eBay right now. Cute!

kensjen
03-15-2004, 10:52 AM
I think the reason the ella bags were (and are) discussed here so much is because of the recent co-op. And also, a major plus (for me at least) is the fact that you can customize your own bag. It is so HARD to find a diaper bag with the options that you need and want, and even harder to find these things without the things you DON'T want. KWIM?

Sure, they have cute fabrics and designs, but they aren't too different from others. So it is up to you what you are looking for in a bag, and what you are willing to spend. Do you want the extra pockets, only a zipper will do, a matching makeup bag.....?? etc.....? Then maybe an ella is for you! And if you can wait until the next co-op (sounds like that won't be until summer!) you can save yourself some $$. If not, go for one of the more inexpensive options. (if you can, try to find someone who has bought one from that buyer, I always worry about that on ebay! It is so hard to tell just from a photo how well made something is!)

HTH!

supersparkee
03-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Oops sorry - posted to wrong thread!

kelly ann
03-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Well, I have recently hopped onto the diaper bag addiction bandwagon over the last couple of months with all of the other ladies around here! My recent purchases include an ISM, Ella, and a bag off of eBay from a fairly new seller (only about 25 feedbacks).

I love the ISM - such high quality and the pockets actually do keep me organized. The eBay bag is great...I am getting compliments on it all of the time. The quality is much better than I expected and I love that the inside pockets are done in the outside fabric.

I would recommend trying other eBay sellers. That is how the Ella bags started, right? Just because those bags took off and more people have bought them doesn't mean there is not a higher quality of bag on eBay. To be honest, I thought I would order several Ella bags in the last co-op, but I was a little turned off that my emails were not answered. I do have to say that Aimee did answer the phone right away, but I thought it was strange that they could send emails but not receive them. Therefore, I only ordered one Ella and diversified with the ISM and the other eBay bag. I don't regret my decision one bit!

Just a thought...Maybe you can start a thread asking others who they have bought bags from off of eBay and their opinions???

HTH :)

Dscvrlifewith3
03-15-2004, 12:03 PM
There are a lot of high quality, high end diaper bags sold on eBay today. There is a difference between hobbist and artisans, check out feedback and how long they have been on eBay. My business started with a hobby that turned into a business. eBay was great for advertising and marketing. I didn't become a power seller overnight and looking back on the first product I ever sold on there -- I am ashamed. LOL Things have come a long way. There are really great artisans on eBay, you can get something unique and original. I have the opportunity to talk with them and admire their work, not to mention share information. I believe someone mentioned Marketa of New York in another thread, Marketa is an excellent seamstress and she started on eBay, as well as I'mStillMe. In fact ISM and I started around the same time. Some sellers on eBay are also designing their products to appeal to certain customers and to a certain market. They don't want their bags to be the next Loom or Petunia, they are looking for a more intimate market so to speak where there is more of a creative outlet. Boutique owners flock to eBay to find such items for their establishments for this reason.

Have a good day,
Kim

kelly ann
03-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Kim-

Thanks for the info on Marketa's bags. I have had her on my favorites list in eBay for awhile, but I never get around to checking out the items for sale. Of course, I really shoudn't be looking for anymore bags given I just bought three in the last couple of months!

dogmom
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
I bought a bag from Ebay I thought was wicked cute. (It had this theme fabric of "how to get a husband" which was LOL.) It was a simple tote with inside pockets all the way round. I think I spent $25 including shipping. It wasn't that great of a bag, but it wasn't bad. It was not sturdy enough for a full time diaper bag, and I realized I'm much more of a lots of zipper pockets and pouches kind of gal. (Saving up for my Timuk2 now!) I used it for a knitting bag, so no big loss. I did get compliments on it. But the fringe the woman used bled when it get wet, not good for a diaper bag. Having said all that, I don't think the person who made the bag got paid a lot for her work. It was well stiched and put together, just not a lot of interfacing and stuff. It had to be a few hours of work +fabric. I'm not sure if this helps you at all.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Dscvrlifewith3
03-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Since this is a thread about the handmade boutique bags, and you brought up trims, I thought I would tell you a little about trims.

Boa trims bleed, they are also flammable and choking hazards to children under 3.

Ostrich feather trims are more friendly. They are made from chenille and while they may shed essentially if they get wet they usually do not bleed. They also can be fluffed back out with a hairdryer.

Also when you buy a bag that has grosgrain ribbon enclosured you should ask the seller if they put fray block/check on the ends to keep from unraveling.

Beads on any type of diaper bag are dangerous. While they look cute they come off and can potentially choke the child. Same with real bird feathers plus they make a mess. :(

Momof3Labs
03-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Ella wasn't ignoring their e-mails, they were having problems receiving many of them. I think that they finally got the problem fixed. Just wanted to let you know that it isn't their business practice to ignore e-mails, or so they told me!

ivparker
03-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all of your comments. I think I am going to try getting one off e-bay. I love e-bay (I think I'm addicted to the whole auction part of it). I also did like the fact that I could pick out what I want with an Ella bag, but I'm really not in any hurry since my first baby isn't due until June 9, so I think I will just keep looking to see if a real cute one comes up. Thanks for all the advise. You guys are awesome!
Ivanna

ginamlee
03-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Kim,
Do you make diaper bags? What is your company? Maybe we would like to do a co-op with you!