PDA

View Full Version : Sylish/functional backpack recommendations?

laurajaney
03-15-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm bored with the blk Kate Spade messenger bag I have been carrying for 2 yrs, and with DS#2 due in 4 wks, I am ready for a backpack. (I need to be hands-free with a toddler & a newborn.) I definitely don't travel light, so I need something roomy. (I don't think I'd even be able to pack for 2 in the KS bag;)!) I'd like something stylish as well. Is it too much to ask?

I've never seen any of these IRL, so I need to rely on you and on-line merchants. (Right now, not much time/energy for shopping :-(.)
-The ella bags don't have any outside pockets which seems like a big downside.
-Petunia Picklebottoms seem too delicate for everyday use.
-Any comments on Fleurville Alpha 7?
-Or Bumble Bags?
-Or Pastille? (I don't think that's the mfr; I think it's the style. I saw it at www.onefinebaby.com.)
-Other ideas?

Thanks so much!!!
:-) Laura
SAHM of Theodore Mason 3/30/02
and DS#2 EDC 4/22/04

the5howards
03-15-2004, 11:48 PM
>-Any comments on Fleurville Alpha 7?

I have an Alpha7 and I love it for space and function but I hate the velcro closure on top. Several times when i have packed it pretty full the velcro has given and all of my stuff went flying.

As for the Petunia I don't own one but a friend of mine does and i think its a great size bag for a moderate to heavy packer esp with two kids and the top zips and the Flap velcros. I would love to own one but I am scared of the silk fabric.

khakismom
03-16-2004, 12:12 AM
If you are looking for purely functional, the BabyTrend ActivPak is a great choice. It comes in either black or navy. And while, it doesn't look like a book bag or anything like that, it isn't the most stylish thing you'll ever have on your back.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005TPSQ/qid=1079408355/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_ba_4//104-3045969-1048715?v=glance&s=baby&n=542428

But, it has phenomenal organization. This is the bag I use when I travel or am gone for a while with both kids. It's not heavy on your back, and has a ton of pockets and little nooks and cranies for storing all of baby's things.

I also own 2 Ella backpacks. They are wonderful, hold quite a bit too, and also don't feel heavy on your back. And boy, are they stylish--I love wearing these! On a recent shopping excursion while out of town this weekend with both kids solo, I packed in my Ella 3 jars of food, bib, spoon, 3 dipes, travel pack of wipes, cell phone, wallet, sunglasses, sippy cup, tall snack cup with Cheerios, travel pack of kleenex, small makeup bag, plus a ton of toys--and there was still room for more. :)

HTH!

neosr
03-16-2004, 02:09 AM
"Other ideas?"

How about the Eagle Creek Parent Survival Pack:
http://www.eaglecreek.com/60075.html

Eagle Creek makes some of the top soft travel gear around so it should be very functional and sturdy. I think it's stylish, but then again I'm a guy...so what do I know?

lmariana
03-16-2004, 09:35 AM
I've never seen it in person, but that Pastille bag looks awesome!

Chester also makes some very cute diaper backpacks, www.tuttibella.com, and they have an exterior pocket.

On www.pokkadots.com we are getting a 15% + free shipping sale starting tomorrow, and they have a sleek Oi Oi Diaper backpack on there. Although it looks small in the photos, the dimensions sound quite spacious, and the main zipper unzips the entire length of the bag for easy access to everything (I found a picture on missfitzinc.com). There are a couple external pockets on the side and under the flap.

There's also a Nicole Miller Diaper Backpack on www.ebags.com that looks like it has wonderful organization. If you order through www.ebates.com, you get 6% cash back.

Hope this helps your search a bit!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

laurajaney
03-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm overwhelmed (and still confused).

The pokkadots coop is quite tempting...I'm curious about the OiOi backpack.

And the Nicole Miller backpack looks cute (but expensive for what it is?). I remember reading on some posting that Baby Depot may carry some Nicole Miller bags....(Unfortunately there isn't one near me.)

And then everybody seems to love their Ella bags....

Thanks for the velcro-closure warning on the Alpha 7. I don't like the velcro on my Kate Spade. I hate how easily it seems to get caught on sweaters.

And, for no good reason in the world, I am still really liking that Pastille at www.onefinebaby.com.

Anyone have first-hand experience with the Chester?

More ideas/comments are always welcome. :-)
(I'll keep you posted if I actually make any decisions.)

Thanks,
Laura
SAHM to Theodore Mason 3/30/02
DS#2 EDC 4/22/04

laurajaney
03-17-2004, 12:44 AM
One other idea:

--How about the Loom Bandicoot? Does anyone have any comments/input/ IRL experience?

Thanks
:-) Laura

cchavez
03-18-2004, 12:06 AM
They should carry the Nicole Miller backpack at Pea in a Pod. It is very large.

The Nicole Millers everyone found about a year ago were the messenger style w/ the co*cktail drink interior. Not the messenger bag w/ the baby interior. hth

laurajaney
03-18-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks!:-)

I just ordered the Nicole Miller backpack from ebags at 15% off, but it still seems like that bag is overpriced. Hopefully, I'll be happy with it since otherwise I've traded a 15 minute drive to Pea in a Pod (to see the bag IRL) for standing in line at the post office (and paying return shipping)!

Good news is that you've definitely made me feel better that I'm not missing out on anything at Baby Depot.

Laura :-)

lmariana
03-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Great! Let us know what you think once you get it!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

jerseygirl07067
03-18-2004, 12:52 AM
I saw the Nicole Miller backpack at Pea in a Pod. It seemed pretty big but it may be more roomy for you and what you are looking for. I just posted a new thread about smaller/medium backpacks above in hopes of some experiences.

I saw a mom at my playgroup today with a very cute, stylish backpack. It was actually the Avent Kitbag and it was also functional, with a grey interior (no black hole effect), as well as numerous compartments. I think it is discontinued, she got hers at BRU a few months ago but the local one near me is out of them. I am sure you could find them online if you do a search. I really liked it, but wasn't sure if it was too big for me...

HTH,
Mary